Files not included in the snapshot

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by NRasool View Post
    Good suggestion, but still complex, and what happens if the customer has changed domain name,or wants to test the site on a test server, you not giving them that freedom. Also you need to factor that Actinic is working on v10, and what you asking for is a big chance, as in software development, such a thing would need to be written as a design specification, etc. I also did Software Engineering and was in the development of Actinic before I left.
    Thanks for the reply Nadeem. One thing I was told that giving away a free trial is never a good idea. The software company I mentioned didn't do this - instead, they offered an incentive to 'pay' for a trial.

Their software has 2 versions, much the same as Actinic (Express and Catalog).

What they did was to offer a 3-month trial of 'Catalog' for approx 10% of the retail price. With the trial, the customer got free hosting (Actinic could obviously easily do this too) - and if they decided to buy the software at the end of the trial, they got, say, 20% (net) off the retail price (thus they save 10%) - this was always a good way to pull in customers that had never heard of the software but liked the sound of things. Same story with Actinic - a client asks a developer and the developer recommends Actinic. (If Actinic can do everything a client asks, or the majority of things, how many clients turn away and say they don't want Actinic? Very few)

The idea of all of this is not to give the software away for free. It's as simple as that. Every piece of software I can think of that offers a free trial I can no doubt find on a torrent site. Adobe suite? Check. Microsoft? Check. Anti Virus? Check. It's a common issue and IMO this is the best and most practical way of selling software.

For interests sake I just had a search for some cracked software. I used the 'crackers' name as a search basis and the result was always the same. The free trial had been cracked. Very few of them will crack a piece of software that they have to pay for.

Another idea would be to follow on from Malcolm's comment regarding Actinic being notified of the upload. I don't know the ins and outs of this - but surely it isn't beyond the realms of possibility to add a unique 'tracking' identifier, so each trial has a unique ID so you can easily identify who bought the trial and where that trial ended up.

Originally posted by NRasool View Post
    Just to ask, you not exporting the snapshot onto a network drive or flash drive, if so, then don't do it, export it onto the desktop and then copy it across. Actinic will create a temp file, and it doesn't like it if it is on a network drive.
    Close, but no cigar. I was importing from a flash drive, not exporting Thanks for the suggestion, I'll copy the snapshot to the desktop and see what happens.

What was this topic about again? LOL

Comment

I don't think there is any problem with scanners and the full version at all it's just that the method used to try and stop the use of trial software was not the best in that involved altering the snapshot feature which provides all the site backup security. My point is that if that method had not been used then the snapshots may not be broken now

As for snapshots and flash drives - upto 9.0.3 you could not safely snapshot to and from a flash drive however now it's ok. I create many snapshots daily to flash drives with no problems.

Comment

Design snapshots work for me with the continued reminder to check the price layout in the site design - this always gets blanked without fail.

I have a client who has rolled out a main site and with sub-sites using a design export dropped over the top and a change of header logo. This has worked in v9.0.2 and v9.0.3

Bikster
        SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

I've used Design Snapshots with success too although I don't tend to choose that method, if I can avoid it, due to its reputation!
          Tracey

Comment

Originally posted by TraceyHand View Post
            its reputation!
            Mean, moody and temperamental? Just like you

Bikster

Comment

Tracey our forum mod has confirmed and experienced the problems herself, selectors are the real issue, things go mental in that area at times.

Comment

Originally posted by leehack View Post
                selectors are the real issue
                Yep - it is a definite case of knowing from bitter experience what goes wrong and then setting them right - a nuisance but simple enough once you have seen it.

Bikster

Comment

Originally posted by jont View Post
                  Mean, moody and temperamental? Just like you
                  It's all lies. Vicious lies.
                  I'm actually a big pussy cat
                  Tracey

Comment

Originally posted by leehack View Post
                    Tracey our forum mod has confirmed and experienced the problems herself, selectors are the real issue, things go mental in that area at times.
                    I wasn't implying that there wasn't anything wrong with them
                    I don't tend to use them so I couldn't really say either way. I was more pointing out that they 'can' work sporadically, temporamentally, occasionally, once-in-a-blue-moon-y but I most certainly wouldn't rely on them.
                    Tracey

Comment

Originally posted by jont View Post
                      Design snapshots work for me with the continued reminder to check the price layout in the site design - this always gets blanked without fail.

I have a client who has rolled out a main site and with sub-sites using a design export dropped over the top and a change of header logo. This has worked in v9.0.2 and v9.0.3
                      perhaps i have been asking to much of it. Besides why would anyone want to use an external design with and external css file for new sites anyway.

Perhaps if i had sat there and changed all the selectors back and then double then triple checked my work to make sure i had not missed anything then i might have got it working.

But a man of my limited abilities that struggles with css and layouts on occasions had really hoped it would have worked because the hours i spent working on it could very well have doubled putting it right.

Comment

Everytime I attempt to take a snapshot, it closes actinic and on looking in the acd file, it is empty
                        www.parklifeclothes.co.uk

Parklife, Whitby

Diesel, Converse, Crocs, Quiksilver, Miss Sixty, Scotch & Soda, Bench, Levi's, Kickers

Comment

Originally posted by parklifeclothes View Post
                          Everytime I attempt to take a snapshot, it closes actinic and on looking in the acd file, it is empty
                          Is it a Design Snapshot or "Normal" snapshot you're having problems with?

I had an issue with a clients site last year and it was due to a CV I's created. Have you created any Variables recently? If so go back and redo them, it might sort out your troubles.

"Might" being the operative word LOL

Army Gore-tex
                          Winter Climbing Mitts
                          webD's Blog: Website design, SEO and other ramblings…
                          Twitter LinkedIN

If you think a post is good, rate it!

Find the answers in the Knowledge Base | Have you read the User Guides

Comment

Just a normal everyday snapshot, thats all.

All the big changes have been done in the last few days only to discover that the snapshots had stopped working correctly before i started my 3 day stint. Fingers crossed my hard drive holds up

Parklife, Whitby

Diesel, Converse, Crocs, Quiksilver, Miss Sixty, Scotch & Soda, Bench, Levi's, Kickers

Comment

Time to copy the site folder.

Comment

Originally posted by drounding View Post
                                Time to copy the site folder.
                                Just done that, there's definately something wrong when you can't take snapshots without actinic closing, what are fundamentally a major part of the software.

Parklife, Whitby

Comment

Working...
                                X