Hotmail emails bouncing with 1and1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hotmail emails bouncing with 1and1

Recently any hotmail emails sent via Actinic have been bouncing back due to being on block list.

I had email issues a while back and used the mrvnet.kundenserver.de for SMTP server and all worked well until now.. If I use my Thunderbird account to send the email through 1and1 all works fine.

Tried using the original SMTP settings (auth.smtp.1and1.co.uk with username and password) but this wont pass testing.

Called 1and 1 and they cant see a problem.

Any ideas?
    http://www.marionvillemodels.com http://www.skymonster.com

Very recent posts on same topic. Try searching (using your very own subject line "Hotmail emails bouncing with 1and1" yields results).
    Norman - www.drillpine.biz
    Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

I did see that thread and 1and1 said they did have an issue with Hotmail at that time but it was rectified. Ive just been getting the issue over the last few days. Though it might be something to do with using the mrvnet.kundenserver.de for SMTP.

Comment

It is specific to your server. Thus 1and1 can get someone else's server de-blacklisted but won't be able to do the same for yours unless they're told about it ...
        Reusable Snore Earplugs : Sample Earplugs - Wax Earplugs - Women's Earplugs - Children's Earplugs - Music Earplugs - Sleep Masks

Comment

Its a shared server. Thing is i can send emails through Thunderbird on the same server with no problem, its just through Actinic.

Comment

You are not alone with this problem I am afraid

Comment

Originally posted by Ricc View Post
              Its a shared server. Thing is i can send emails through Thunderbird on the same server with no problem, its just through Actinic.
              Some time ago 1and1 closed the secure email servers to any form of relay, this stopped the normal authorised accounts from working with Sellerdeck, i.e. accounts where you sign on using auth.smtp.1and1.co.uk. Instead they have a separate server which can be used for relaying and that is the one most people now use with Sellerdeck web sites. The Sellerdeck back office also uses this account to send emails by first sending them to the web sitewhere they are transferred using the open server. So both the Sellerdeck back office and the web site are sending emails via the 1and1 open relay server which can be used by anyone. Once a spammer starts using the server the server gets a bad name and is black listed which affects all Sellerdeck sites that are relaying through the server.

Thunderbird will use the authorised server auth.smtp.1and1.co.uk with your credentials to log onto the server and uses your own email account with 1and1 to send emails through the secure email servers. So I am afraid the fact that you can send emails through Thunderbird has no relevance in this particular case.

Malcolm

SellerDeck Accredited Partner,
              SellerDeck 2016 Extensions, and
              Custom Packages

Comment

Has this problem been resolved?

We use googleapps for email and 1and1 server on Sellerdeck, so we don't see the bouncing emails... But we do have customers saying they are not receiving the confirmation email from us.

Thank you

Comment

As explained, it is specific to the server where your site is hosted. So you have to ask 1and1 to resolve it. It is not a Sellerdeck issue.
                  Reusable Snore Earplugs : Sample Earplugs - Wax Earplugs - Women's Earplugs - Children's Earplugs - Music Earplugs - Sleep Masks

Comment

The problem is far frrom resolved I am afraid. We spent all of Dec with all hotmail email orders bouncing. This has stopped in the last few days, but I am sure will happen again soon.

The short term solution is to forward on the bounced email via your normal email server (not the1&1 one open server), as this will work, but is a royal pain.

Is there any likihood that the Sellerdeck method of sending confirmation emails will be updated to one that does not use this type of relay, or are we to conclude that going forward, Sellerdeck will not work correctly with 1&1 shared hosting?

Can anyone will a site hosted with soemone other than1&1, confirm that they are able to send the automated relay email messages via an authenticated (password enabled) email server, as 1&1 will not, as Malcolm has stated above.

Comment

Is the problem with the smtp server : mrvnet.kundenserver.de
                      or specific to the machine the site is on?

Our emails are with Google Apps (we don't see any of the bounced emails) and
                      I think v10 can't use Google Apps settings to send emails (something to do with v10 can't send secure emails from a specific email port?)
                      - is it possible to do this on the newest version of Sellerdeck?

We only know of this problem from customers complaining...

Comment

This has been addressed if you read the earlier posts, but can be confusing.

The server that is causing these issues is 1&1's open relay server mrvnet.kundenserver.de.

If your website is hosted on a 1&1 shared server, this is the only server that 1&1 permits email to be sent from, when sent via the Sellerdeck software. If you try and put any other email server details in to Sellerdeck, the automated email fails, as 1&1 will not permit email to be sent via relay from a shared server space, other than via their open relay email server.

This does not stop you sending emails to your customers from outside the Sellerdeck program, via whichever email server you choose to use, but does mean that the automated email confirmations that the Sellerdck software sendsout when a customer places an order can only go via mrvnet.kundenserver.de.

The mrvnet.kundenserver.de email server is that one that is repeatedly getting blocked by hotmail and associated providers, meaning that customers who use hotmail, don't get the automated order confirmations, and you receive a bounced email notice (this notice will be sent to your 1&1 email account, so if you are not checking that account, you won't be seeing the bounces. They won't bounce to googleapps, or whatever other email servive you are using, unless you have a forward set up with 1&1, to forward emails on to you choice of email provider.

The blocking can't be lifted by 1&1 nor by Sellerdeck, it is something that hotmail are doing to that particular server, because of spam that is coming from that server.

If you are hosted on a 1&1 shared server you are basically stuck with this situation, until the block is lifted by hotmail.

The only solutions that I can see are:

1) 1&1 to allow email relay from an authenticated (password enabled) email server, which should, in theory, be less liklely to suffer spam/spoofing, and therefore less likley to be blocked.

2) Move to a 1&1 dedicated server, which I believe, does allow the use of authenticated email relay.

3) Sellerdeck to change the way the automated emails are sent out (this one goes way beyond my knowledge base)

4) Use another host that allows authenticated email via the Sellerdeck software.

Please excsue any inaccuracies - this is how I understand it, but happy to be corrected by the more knowledgeable folk on here

Comment

AFAIK, the problem is specific to the machine the site is hosted on. 1&1's open relay server, mrvnet.kundenserver.de, does relay emails from the shared servers but it is the originating source of the spam emails (ie the shared web server) that gets blocked, not the relay server.

You can get around this by using a 3rd party email provider. One of the threads on this has the name of one that someone is using . I'm sure a search will find it.

Mike

PS. Like others, my emails are now going to hotmail accounts without any problems. Hopefully 1and1 have closed the accounts of the spammers and it will stay that way. Not sure it will though.
                          -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Mmmmm... There are conflicting statements here...

If it's mrvnet.kundenserver.de, then someone somewhere has made a complaint,
                            and (hopefully) will resolve itself.

If it's the site's server (we have shared and managed dedicated),
                            then I should contact 1and about this.

I had registered a hotmail.co.uk account a loooong time ago,
                            and just did a test email from the software (via mrvnet.kundenserver.de)
                            to the hotmail account and it works. (I don't have a hotmail.com account to test)

Not sure what to do now...

Comment

If there's a problem with hotmail then you'll get the bounced emails and you ask 1and1 to sort it out.

If it's just customer not getting the emails and complaining then it's usually because they didn't return to the receipt page. Very common with paypal.

Mike

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Working...
                              X