Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Using Variables in Product Description

Good Afternoon all,

I have a query regarding using variables in the product description.

we occasionally need to include values such as price in the description field however i cannot seem to get them to render.

We are using Norman's Tabbed Description plugin (which i doubt is the culprit), i have tried the usual !!<>!! and also just pasting the code in and entering the name of the variable in square brackets as outlined in this post from 2007

Has anyone else got a workaround or solution for this?

Thanks in advance.
    www.flytesofancy.co.uk, www.electricfencingkits.co.uk, www.dorsetlogstores.co.uk, www.framebow.co.uk

Both a simple variable like:

[ProductPriceRaw]

and a more complex Selector that introduces a lot of HTML code (and thus need surrounded by !!< and >!!):

!!<[PriceListRetail]>!!

work fine for me. Regardless of whether they're on a standard SellerDeck site or one with my Tabber.
    Norman - www.drillpine.biz
    Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Hi there Norman,

Thanks for the response.

you are correct the method you outlined does work but not for the variable/layout i had in mind

<actinic:variable name="PreFormattedPrice" value="Product Price Including Tax" />

Any ideas or am i having senior moment?
      www.flytesofancy.co.uk, www.electricfencingkits.co.uk, www.dorsetlogstores.co.uk, www.framebow.co.uk

Comment

First problem is that you are using a specific Layout name instead of the Selector that places that sub-layout into another layout. It's Selectors that are parsed for within square brackets. My example in post #2 use first a plain Variable and then a Selector respectively. Thus [ProductImageLayout] (a Selector) will work but not [Standard Product Image] (a Layout that needs a Selector to place it).

Second problem is that many variables / selectors only work in certain places. Layouts that are used within Lists generally are only valid within the List they are intended for. Prices (but not ProductPriceRaw) are list based items. A product may have a range of quantity dependent prices for example. So you could try using [PreFormattedPrice], which is a Selector but it won't work as it is only valid within a Price List.
        Norman - www.drillpine.biz
        Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Working...
        X