No announcement yet.

Why did I bother - 8.5.1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This really has been a pain from start to finish, the extended production time at the developers end is denegrating customer service levels and cost effectiveness of projects scoped out. Why? because as we move forward with each project, another damn bug is discovered and the project is halted!

I feel that much of the confusion (in Actinic Developer Towers) can be attributed to the number of bug fixes, version releases. etc etc and this has disseminated down to the end users level. Who has what version installed on what machine now is a regular question these days.

Issues are addressed, fixed, then other issues are spotted, fixed and these fixes seem to impact on the previous work carried out IMHO.

In support of what Jo has already stated we have tried to import a Catalog H file from 8.04 to 8.5.1 and it spits the dummy out stating USE AN EARLIER VERSION......

So from this am I to assume that the clients who wish to go from any version prior to 8.5.1 must follow a step by step upgrade to accomplish, what in essence, is a very straight forward task?

The temperature is rising here in the Midlands.....productivity and performance will be evaluated not just by us as developers but many others too me thinks if this trend is NOT reversed....

A clear upgrade path would be advisable (v8 to v8.5.1 as asked for before by me and others) but an auto updater would be even better if not best practise as your home user market may dwindle and your developer market will follow suit me thinks, if these issues continue.

I am aware of your excellent cover and support, BUT it does take huge chunks of time to resolve and time costs in this industry.

Rant over, now to sort out the mess.
    Affordable solutions for busy professionals.
    Website Maintenance | UK Web Hosting

Comment

I have done v8.5.0 ACD to a new site on a different machine in v8.5.0 and still got the errors ... have tried copying the entire site folders on the same machine, to different machines and still get insane legacy files showing and not showing.

Bikster
      SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Originally posted by jont
        I have done v8.5.0 ACD to a new site on a different machine in v8.5.0 and still got the errors ... have tried copying the entire site folders on the same machine, to different machines and still get insane legacy files showing and not showing.
        And if Jonty gets stuck, we are in BIG TROUBLE

Comment

I'm broken.....

I haven't done a single upgrade project to budget yet. If I didn't have a dual business with hosting I'd also be bust.

I did a lovely small job creating a site with Wordpress last week, maybe thats my future

Comment

If its any consolation guys, i was off to bed at 2.30 this morning, just waited for the Microsoft updates to install, system went titsup, i haven't been to bed yet and i have about an hours software loading to go yet. Totally locked me out, ive ended up having to format the git and start afresh.

Comment

Originally posted by pinbrook
              I'm broken.....

I haven't done a single upgrade project to budget yet. If I didn't have a dual business with hosting I'd also be bust.

I did a lovely small job creating a site with Wordpress last week, maybe thats my future
              Been working with Wordpress for a short while too, nice software to get around (once you comprehend the template layout)...also done a lot of customisation work with GEODESIC Classified Ads (ITsold in my sig and one other, boy that software is powerful)....the winds of change may be gathering here too...

Just to confirm my stand point on Actinic, great software, enormous potential but it is now time to close the door on v8...strip out and get v9 running for the autumn, these incremental updates are just clouding the waters AND SOLVING NOWT IMHO.

Comment

Originally posted by pinbrook
                I'm broken.....

I have exactly the same problem, and exactly the same solution (dual business). I'm paying my bills with the back-up of brochure sites which I wanted to dump.

Not a single Actinic project has gone to budget due to variuos problems and having to re-start sites.

Upgrades have been a nightmare, and I refuse to upgrade yet even though I really could do with one of the features.

Bad luck Jo, I feel for you!
                Simon Williams
                Actinic Designer v.8.5.2.0.0.0.HMVA

Comment

Originally posted by leehack
                  If its any consolation guys, i was off to bed at 2.30 this morning, just waited for the Microsoft updates to install, system went titsup, i haven't been to bed yet and i have about an hours software loading to go yet. Totally locked me out, ive ended up having to format the git and start afresh.
                  'bout time you kicked the cat & got some kip, mate.
                  www.yandles.co.uk
                  www.websilk.co.uk
                  Today is the tomorrow that I worried about yesterday.
                  So far, all is well. Am I still worried? YES! Watch some b.....d mess it up!

Comment

Too late now dude, sleep well tonight instead.

Comment

Lee I am sure you pic looks like you have bags under your eyes,

I read with interest, not sure which way to go now, 0nly advantage i have is my sites have little modification/customisation only a few perl mods.

I still have 1 site that is on V7 and refuses to move to V8 a gives me loads of errors, i tried all the fixes offered on here but as soon as i import the snapshot V8.5 crashes and i have to start actinic from the command line to a working site. and this is a site pretty much out of the box.

Not much help to you guys but i do have some sympathy

Darren

Comment

UH OH, im getting my first BUG now too. Try to do a database backup in 8.5 multisite and im being told that actinic encountered an error backing up the v7 site. I don't even have V7 on this machine and never have AND it's also a dreamweaver design.

Sigh.........

Comment

UH OH, im getting my first BUG now too.
                          Yee ha!!!

Sorry Lee i'm just so pleased its not just me... i was beginning to wonder if I was doing it all wrong.

I'm going to be smiling all evening now....

Comment

Nothing like a boot in the nuts.....

Comment

I'm now finding that even funnier.

Sorry again Lee, but its the humour of the hysterical

Comment

Oh Dear i find a small grin creeping across my face - soooorrrrrrrrrryyyyyyyy

Comment

Working...
                                X