Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Actinic slows to a halt for the first time in ages.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I've just looked at the windows updates I've had of late and they've all been windows defender updates and it says that once installed you cannot remove - so that buggers that idea up!

I'm now trying a purge and refresh through troubleshooting, but won't hold my breath.

I've not upgraded IE or anything else, except Avira. Is this the common denominator the same AV programs perhaps?

Anyway George, give it up and go have a beer. It's another days wasted in the land of Actinic life!!
    Helen
    www.postapresent.co.uk
    Gifts by Post & Giftwrapping Service

Comment

Still not cured. AVG has been totally removed now, and the registry hoovered out.

Probably a matter of time before I start damaging stuff.

Time to reboot again.
      Football Heaven

For all kinds of football souvenirs and memorabilia.

Comment

Yeah,

I've just done a purge and refresh and that's not helped.

Keep getting the bit at the top that says 'Actinic is not responding' now.

Computers - who'd have em!
        Helen
        www.postapresent.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Bonjour View Post
          Keep getting the bit at the top that says 'Actinic is not responding' now.

I get that too.
          Football Heaven

Comment

Actinic suggested I completely uninstall and reinstall, but I don't really want to and now some of my other programs have slowed, so it is steering towards a pc/windows problem. I have sent them a copy of the error report (tried to attach here but it's not my day) which refers to which actinic files are hanging and maybe this can help work out where the problem is or maybe not as the case may be.

As I have now pulled all my hair out, shouted at my kids and my hubby is sat downstairs starving (although he is capable of cooking), I'm packing it in for the night and gonna relieve my tense neck with a glass of vino.

Perhaps a bottle for the first one to resolve this?
            Helen
            www.postapresent.co.uk

Comment

I have a windows update sitting in my taskbar awaiting approval, it was downloaded either yesterday or day before. This is the .NET update one 16.8MB. It looks as though this is a fix for the previous one, maybe not if its the cause of this.

Comment

Originally posted by leehack View Post
                I have a windows update sitting in my taskbar awaiting approval, it was downloaded either yesterday or day before. This is the .NET update one 16.8MB. It looks as though this is a fix for the previous one, maybe not if its the cause of this.
                I'll look into that file size right now, give me five minutes.
                Football Heaven

Comment

Theres no date against it in the Control Panel list but the latest .net upgrade I can see is the Framework 3.5 SP1 (19.50MB), and two hotfixes for it, KB958484 and KB953595. The SP1 and only one of the hotfixes can be removed it seems.
                  Football Heaven

Comment

This is the details of the one i have sitting in the taskbar, waiting to be allowed in - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/959209

Comment

I don't appear to have that update in my list, so don't think it can be causing my problem. I can't even get out of actinic at the moment - so much for that wine!
                      Helen
                      www.postapresent.co.uk

Comment

Before I go brave and start uninstalling more updates I'll have a wee look at my system restore records, see if that brings up anything interesting at the end of last week.
                        Football Heaven

Comment

Right, I'd already restored the pc back to last Thursday, which made no difference to the problem, so I've now done a restore to a few days earlier, Sunday the 3rd which should, I think, cancel out any Windows updates since then.

I'll nip back to work shortly and see if its made any difference. (I've been using log me in from home tonight)
                          Football Heaven

Comment

Good luck George,

I was hoping the fairies would have sorted it during the night, but no such luck!

The only other thing I could think of to try was to uninstall SP3, as it works fine on my laptop under SP2, but not sure of the implications of that.

I will wait to see what you have up your sleeve.

Cheers
                            Helen
                            www.postapresent.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by george View Post
                              I've now noticed a bit of white space at the top of my homepage, which is not showing on the website preview. Where the eff did that come from?
                              The white space was caused by this issue.

Sites all wiped clean now though, and the pc's had its ass well and truely wiped ten times over.
                              Football Heaven

Comment

George,

has this resolved the issues within Actinic now then?

I've not come across that particular spyware thing in IE, but a while back I did have a lot of 404's which were actinic urls with a load of garbage at the end 'xaXaxxa' etc, as if someone was trying to do something, so we deleted the catalog and cgi bin files out of the hosting files and did a web refresh and yesterday I did a complete purge and refresh, but things aren't much better.

I regularly do spyware and virus scans and nothing obvious has come up on them, so maybe my issue is different, or the same but different nasty malware.
                                Helen
                                www.postapresent.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                                X