whats happened!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RuralWeb View Post
    Loks like you have been hit by the old using ext info pages being indexed problem eg http://www.craftyaddicts.co.uk/acatalog/info_1151.html .
    Heather

When google indexes the extra information pages and a visitor lands on the page from a google search, there is no method (such as a button) on the page to get back to your main site pages. A techie would know to change the url in the address bar and thus get to your site, but many web users will not know this and will just leave the site.

What is being suggested is that you need to prevent google from indexing these pages which requires some technical knowledge on dealing with robots.txt or changing the pages themselves to stop the search engine robots from indexing the page.

Malcolm

SellerDeck Accredited Partner,
    SellerDeck 2016 Extensions, and
    Custom Packages

Comment

dealing with robots.txt or changing the pages themselves to stop the search engine robots from indexing the page.
      My advice is to stay well clear of robots.txt files - the problem is due to how you have setup the page structure within actinic ie using the ext info to open in the same window and provideing links to it which search engines can follow.

Unfortunately "upgrading" to Catalog does bring you into another world. If express was working for you why did you decide to change to catalog?????

Comment

We decided to upgrade because express didn't provide stock control, or multiple images, and we could not put on multibuy discounts and promotions, it was too limited to take the business forward.

H
        www.craftyaddicts.co.uk

Comment

it was too limited to take the business forward
          Well you dont have to worry now as you have no sales

I would still go back to it and work on a plan to migrate the site correctly - I would rather have sales than stock control

Comment

You need to make sure stock monitoring is what you are after too as actinic does not have stock control as such, people can still order more than what you have.

Comment

stock monitoring
              Well reminded lee - how can I forget that one

Comment

I was keeping schtum
                Might have ranted otherwise!
                Tracey

Comment

you rant - never

Comment

Originally posted by malbro View Post
                    Heather

When google indexes the extra information pages and a visitor lands on the page from a google search, there is no method (such as a button) on the page to get back to your main site pages. A techie would know to change the url in the address bar and thus get to your site, but many web users will not know this and will just leave the site.
                    Hi Malcolm

My other half has added links into the extended page - basically he took the using extened information windows from the advanced user guide this has added the main nav menu and the product catalogue - hopefully this will work - we cannot figure an HTML method to offer a previous page option -
                    Thanks for your help

H
                    www.craftyaddicts.co.uk

Comment

Well you dont have to worry now as you have no sales

I would still go back to it and work on a plan to migrate the site correctly - I would rather have sales than stock control

This is one that has caused great indignation - we paid a significant sum for the program, the hosting, support and the SSL cert - we was informed by the Sales department that we would be supported at all stages by Actinic of the transfer from the express site to that of the catalogue - however, this has been lacking - the information we have been given from the forum, the documenttation and the support in many cases tend to conflict, an example is the comment above from Stero Steve who statd that Actinic are assisting with a robot.txt files from tech support - I point tech support to this comment - they deny they do this, however, at the point of purchase redirection from the express site was offered but never provided.
                      I personnally feel put out as I brought this software etc for my wife as a means of supporting her bricks and morter shop. Nik
                      www.craftyaddicts.co.uk

Comment

Send me a snapshot so I can see what is going on with the site.

Comment

Send me a snapshot so I can see what is going on with the site.
                          Thank you for the offer how do you want m to deliver the site Nik
                          www.craftyaddicts.co.uk

Comment

Snapshot via mailbigfile.com

Comment

Snapshot via mailbigfile.com
                              what email address should I put in to notify you of the upload

THanks you for this help - We logged the same question with Actinic Support at the same ime we logged this question on the foruim - thank godness for the generosity of the forum members for thier help and assistance.

Actinic Support - still waiting your response ! - suppose thats for another thread elsewhere

Nik
                              www.craftyaddicts.co.uk

Comment

what email address should I put in to notify you of the upload
                                info@ruralwebdesign.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                                X