• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Single use Coupons

Hi,

I am trying to do something I thought would be fairly straight forward! :-

"Provide money off (gift Vouchers) final shopping cart value."

So in the cart "content tab" I set the trigger to 0.01 and the Reward to £15.00 this only discounts the cart content by 0.01p!

However if I set the trigger to £15.00 and the reward to £15.00 the final cart is discounted by £15.00! (which is what I want)

Also if i untick the "one reward per order" (bottom right) the whole value of ther cart is discounted regardless of the reward amount.

This does not seem to add up, or is it me missing the point? as per?

Regards Repy.

What do you want to achieve with your discount?

Comment

Hi Duncan,

Thank you for the reply, we want to offer "gift Vouchers" on our site using single user vouchers, if the customer does not spend the total first time we will issue another voucher for the remainder.

I have since thought about the "trigger" thing and it makes sence now this has to be above the reward total...told you I was missing the point!

Regards Repy.

Comment

Hi Again,
        I have now spent most of the weekend trying to work this one out, its just so confusing!
        If you set the trigger at £25.00 and reward at £25.00 all is well as long as you don't spend under £25.00
        But what if they want to spend £10.94 and be sent another voucher for the remainder (£14.06).
        I have tried everything to try and get this to work but it either just keeps dicounting the whole value regardless of the reward amount or you have to stick to the above.
        Whats the point in having a single use coupon "say Reward for £25" when the amount just gets ignored? When the "one reward per order" is un-ticked. And when it is ticked it just discounts the trigger amount.

Any help greatly received

Regards Repy.

Comment

You're not going to sensibly manage part use of vouchers, keep it simple, specify full use only.

Comment

Hi Lee,
            It makes more sense to "manage part use of vouchers" Than it does to understand the "Discount surcharges and coupons" within Actinic. Most other web site seem to manage it!

So if I have a voucher for £15.00 and I see a product I like for £14.99 I can`t buy it with my voucher untill I add another item?
            RIGHT!!
            Also like I said in my previous post what is the point in Having a "reward" input if its totally ignored under most circumstances?

Regards Repy

Comment

Part use of coupons is nowhere near as easy as it sounds, solutions where you see this happening will be online databases I suspect, even then not simple as you're effectively running credit accounts.

The setup will fail if you set it up to part use a coupon as the system has no way to do that. If you have a 15 quid off coupon, reward is 15 quid and trigger is 15 quid I'd have thought.

Comment

It is in the interest of the merchant not have to carry over the liability of unused coupons and it also makes the purchaser buy more. (The merchant's intention in the first place probably)

That said I would like Actinic to allow a coupon to be used on a smaller amount and to then sacrifice the balance of the coupon. ie buy an goods at £7 and pay with a coupon worth £10, but loose the £3 worth. I would have thought would be a relatively simple change.

Coupons in B&M shops are used in this way. You can redeem a coupon on a sale for a smaller or greater amount but you don't get credit for the unused portion.

Comment

If you can't use a £15 voucher on anything less than £15 then the voucher coding is broken. Especially if it's only discounting the trigger amount amount when that's set to a lesser value.

The fix shouldn't be too difficult as it sounds like it's using the wrong variable for discounting when there's a trigger value. But Actinic need to acknowledge the problem if it's there and schedule a fix.

Can someone make sure Actinic see this thread or do we need to post something in the bug thread?

What to do with unspent voucher value is a separate problem. Many shops will issue another voucher for the difference but that's not an easy thing to do in the virtual world.

Mike
                  -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

Hi Mike,

That certainly is the case, I have tried everything, ticked every box one by one etc etc etc.

I must admit I found it very strange! Just hope your right!!?

We are quite happy to send out a new voucher code for the un-spent value if necessary

Comment

I can see why you say/think it is broken, but i think it is as designed. They are setting up a system where it must be used up fully on one transaction as I understand and thus a trigger less than the amount is not acceptable.

Managing part payments via vouchers sounds great on paper, when you get into the logistics of this, it's simply not viable and besides the software does not do it anyway, so it's not a possibility unless you go around the houses with a manual method where they contact you and you have a no payment taken payment method. Clunky and ill advised at best given the current system constraints.

There's a similar argument that you could have two vouchers from two different people but cannot use them both on one transaction, so a person with 2 x 15 vouchers cannot buy a £10 and a £20 product without parting with some cash. The complexities are endless.

Comment

Hi Lee,

I am no mathematician and certainly no web programmer but I would have thought:-

If the total shopping cart value is<than the voucher then -the cart value
                        And if the total cart value is >than the voucher the -the voucher value.

That seems quite straight forward to me?

What I can't get my head around is:-
                        What is the point in having a reward input if its not used, you may ase well just have a trigger input!

If the "Only one reward per order is ticked" then unless you add an item to your cart that is greater than the voucher value first, it all becomes FOC:-

e.g First item added £20, voucher value £15.00 balance = £5 plus any subsequent items added.

e.g First item added £8.99 voucher value £15.00 balance= £0.00 add as many other items as you like and the total is still £0.00

And like I said in my previous post if the trigger value is lower than the reward value (which actinic allows) then the trigger value only is deducted again the reward value is ignored.

I can't honeatly beleive this is "as designed" and as you have to do an upload each time you want to check it, it is very time consuming and could be very costly if you are not sure about things!

I know what your saying about two people but on the rare occasion that this might happen I would just issue anothe voucher for the total and cancel the original.

Like I said other site manage it as other posts have suggested, terms and conditions on ther sites explain excactly this!

"What happens if the Gift Voucher value is higher than the price of the product(s) I’m buying? Do I get "change?"
                        Yes, we will email you a new gift voucher to the value of the remaining funds you have after you check out. Ensure that you keep the new gift voucher email you receive safe as it is not stored in your account.

Having said all this looks like we are stuck for now with what we have!!

Regards Repy.

Comment

Originally posted by Reptile1 View Post
                          However if I set the trigger to £15.00 and the reward to £15.00 the final cart is discounted by £15.00! (which is what I want)
                          As above is how i would expect it to work because it does not do part-use of a voucher. You have to have a trigger and a reward, i do agree that the figures you are allowed to put in should be sanity checked when applied though, it should not allow a £0.01 trigger if a £15 reward is being put in.

Originally posted by Reptile1 View Post
                          Also if i untick the "one reward per order" (bottom right) the whole value of ther cart is discounted regardless of the reward amount.
                          I'm a little confused on this one, a gift voucher is a 'whole cart' item isn't it, or are you trying to provide gift vouchers on certain products, technically that's not the same I guess. A gift voucher as I see it, is just like cash, perhaps that is the confusion.

If you provide a gift voucher and do not specify it is a one use voucher, then again it seems logical to me that for every £15 spent they will get £15 off. That's like going into a shop, buying a £15 product with a £15 voucher and the assistant gives you the voucher back and you repeat the process as many times as you can be bothered - without one reward per order ticked, that in effect is an offline version of what you are doing, at least it as I see it.

Comment

Originally posted by leehack View Post
                            I'm a little confused on this one, a gift voucher is a 'whole cart' item isn't it, or are you trying to provide gift vouchers on certain products, technically that's not the same I guess. A gift voucher as I see it, is just like cash, perhaps that is the confusion.
                            Not as confused as me!
                            Yes the discount applies to all items therefore the whole cart!
                            So why does the voucher get cancelled if you add one product FIRST for over the voucher amount?
                            But just keeps deducting all amounts if your FIRST added product is below the voucher value?

Originally posted by leehack View Post
                            If you provide a gift voucher and do not specify it is a one use voucher, then again it seems logical to me that for every £15 spent they will get £15 off. That's like going into a shop, buying a £15 product with a £15 voucher and the assistant gives you the voucher back and you repeat the process as many times as you can be bothered - without one reward per order ticked, that in effect is an offline version of what you are doing, at least it as I see it.
                            I'm sorry I don't see it like that at all as when I create the coupon I am creating a "single USE coupon"

NOT a "single use coupon" you can use again and again!!

Thats the button I press "Accept single use coupons" then the coupon code is created. I do not want to create a coupon for use over and over (on this occasion) so why call them ""single USE coupons" if you can clearly use them more than once? This also applies to the above question.

In my opinion there aint anything locical about it.

Surely I can't be that difficult to create a "part-use of a voucher" system for those who would like the choice!

But for now I'll just have to stick with "Full-use" Trigger and Reward the same!

Regards Repy

Comment

Single use relates to the number of completed checkout transactions on which it can be used I'd imagine.

Comment

Working...
                              X