SIte ReLaunch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah a local girl

Not sure about the moving image on the home page - I find my eye is looking at that rather than being able to read the text.

Looks good - one minor thing is the referal is missing from the Info page.

Keep up the good work

Comment

I've taken off the animated gif as some suggested, but have added a static silhouette type image, I still dont think it looks any better, opinions and suggestions?

I'd quite like to get some kind of photo image in there, but will think on it. I'm trying to find out how to add more than one image in a fragment.

It can be so frustrating when you have to work at something the you just don't understand fully!

I've looked at some of the sites listed in signatures on this forum, and have seen some real doozies - wonderful looking...and very professional.

I don't want mine to have all sorts of clutter, just simple, easy to look at, no flashing bits and buttons everywhere - but still it looks kind of wooden to me..
      I know some of you will agree, but your suggestions & constructive criticisms are a huge help!
      Last edited by Delicata; 24-May-2005, 09:14 AM. Reason: Spelling atrocities!!
      Tracie Delicata
      Pet Express UK
      www.pet-express.co.uk

Comment

Local? Yes...Hockley.
        I'm looking for the part where I add my merchant id for the info page...it's like trying to run thru quicksand!!
        I've also managed to break the product prices shown on the site....I seem to have an ex vat and a plus vat price shown side by side...damned annoying..
        Tracie Delicata
        Pet Express UK
        www.pet-express.co.uk

Comment

Not sure about the moving image on the home page - I find my eye is looking at that rather than being able to read the text.
          Same goes for people who use dancing avatars on forums

Mike
          -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

Hi Tracie
            The silhouette image is a great improvement on the animated gif.
            One thing I would add to this page is a "Shop Now" link at the end of the special offers blurb.
            I would also simplify the home page further by getting rid of the first block of info about how you've redesgned the site, and make a bigger deal of your special offers by increasing the size of the font.

As with every element of a commercial web site, the more simple you can make it the better. The trick is to take a critical look at every element on the page and decide if it really achieves anything from the customers perspective, or is it just waffle.

To increase the font size in just this section all you need to do is add some simple html to surround the text.
            I'm assuming from your earlier posts that all this is new, so all you need is:

!!<<font size="2">...your text....</font>>!!

This bit allows Actinic Catalog to know that you are adding your own html code:
            !!<...your code goes here...>!!

This bit adjusts the size of your font:
            <font size="2">
            try replacing '2' with different numbers to see the effect.

and you end with this bit so that your font code only applies where you want it to:
            </font>

You might also want to try:

!!<<font size="2" color="red">...your text....</font>>!!

to change text colour, although I'm not suggesting red would be the correct choice.

You can pick up basic html from a site such as this:
            http://www.htmlgoodies.com/

There are far better ways of changing the look by editing the templates, but I offer the above as something simple you might want to try.

Martin

Comment

Thanx for the tips....I'm trying them out now, but sometimes the text simply disappears from the preview pane altogether...do you know what I'm doing wrong ?
              Tracie Delicata
              Pet Express UK
              www.pet-express.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by olderscot

Mike
                If the avatar restriction wasn't so small - then I would upload my usual one

Comment

Delicata - what code are you using that vanishes? Is this on a product or other page?

Comment

I was following Martins tips with home page special offers fragment...think I might have cracked it now though!

I would make a change in text size or colour for a paragraph, and then 'apply' - and the text simply vanished...tried a couple times more and we seem okay...perhaps a minor glitch?
                    Tracie Delicata
                    Pet Express UK
                    www.pet-express.co.uk

Comment

Trac ie,

Have a look at
                      http://www.onestopsafetyshop.co.uk/PetExpress.jpg

I have added some drop shadows the photos to show you what may? improve the look.

Rgds

MJ

Comment

Thanks! I've made a few changes to the homepage today, and am just uploading now....perhaps you'd like to go look again for me? It's taken all day (can you believe it??) But I think it's an improvement

I tried your link, but 'permission denied' or something similar popped up - I'm not allowed to look at it! VBG...
                        Tracie Delicata
                        Pet Express UK
                        www.pet-express.co.uk

Comment

Originally posted by Delicata
                          Thanks! I've made a few changes to the homepage today, and am just uploading now....perhaps you'd like to go look again for me? It's taken all day (can you believe it??) But I think it's an improvement

I tried your link, but 'permission denied' or something similar popped up - I'm not allowed to look at it! VBG...
                          Its probably the security on the site to prevent hotlinking. Sent you it as e mail attachment

Comment

Love it! How???
                            If it's easy enough...I can feel a new project coming on!
                            Tracie Delicata
                            Pet Express UK
                            www.pet-express.co.uk

Comment

just install the firefox extension to disable animations!

Comment

Working...
                              X