No announcement yet.

Credit Card Fraud

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

any thing you do to delay purchase will lose the customers, they will not wait for a log in code and will be gone to the next site in under 30 seconds

The main use of the login is so that regular customers who get a special discount can log in see there own prices and order

private customers will walk unless its a special site or club based etc
    Chris Ashdown

Comment

Very true.

I need to put a process in place for verifying customers before I deliver. So that I can put a "tick in the box" and feel confident that I have done all that I can to qualify it. i.e. no "hotmail" addresses, check the phone number, post code, name on the email. Anything else I can do?

Thanks again for all your help everyone, as I really am at the point of giving up.

Comment

A checklist of things to do can be found at a site such a this:
        http://www.cardwatch.org.uk/

You may also wish to consider restricting payment methods on high risk items, to payment by bank-to-bank tranfer only.
        As with delaying orders, this will undoubtably lose some legit business, but if you are at the point of considering dropping those products, it is at least an option.

Comment

Early Warning Can Help

Hi
          I run Early warning which helps with credit card fraud. We have just set up agreements with free email address providers and the banks to block accounts used in fraudulant transactions automatically so if you require any help please just ask

also if there is a Actinic developer who would like to develop a API for Actinic users I would be more than willing to help.

Regards
          Last edited by agoodwill; 20-Jul-2006, 06:02 PM. Reason: need to add more

Comment

Guy
            We sell high value, desirable items and are a regular target for the toerags out there. We have a merchant account with Bank of Scotland but don't use a PSP. We were caught out about 3 years ago to the tune of £500 and contacted BofS to see if there was anything we could do to tighten up security eg.check that the address provided was the cardholder's address. They said that the only way get that information would be from the card issuer and they would not provide it to us.
            We were subsequently caught out again around 18 months ago by someone in Kilmarnock, this time for £800 so we did a little online research and lo-and-behold, found out about the Address Verification System. When we approached BofS about this we were informed that it was a simple matter of dialling in via our terminal and installing the AVS check - it took 2 minutes.
            Why BofS didn't tell us about it after the first incident we couldn't quite grasp, so we complained to them and got a refund of the second chargeback - result
            Since the implementation of the AVS checks and others, we have not been caught out once - although many attempts have been made.
            Don't get disheartened.
            http://www.phoenix-pcs.co.uk

Comment

Thank you for your response, it really is appreciated!
              I have investigated the options with Metracharge and they offer a "Verify Your Customer" service for £1.50 per order...which sounds farly steep. I am thinking of going to a different bank so any recommendations would be great. I am currently paying 4.5% one each order + monthly fee....so there laughing while I take all the risk!

Infact, when I noticed the order looked suspicious, I approached Metacharge. They recommend that I continue with the order as it was "fine". So I did...and the order after that!! Wish I had listened to my gut instinct and not them. Shame I didn't get that in writting too as I would be asking for my money back.

Thanks again!

Comment

Check out HSBC their standard fraud checking options are very good.

Comment

Gigantic Days - please contact

Sorry to highjack the thread but GiganticDays could you please contact me regarding your fraud 18months ago from Scotland! Tried to email you privately but couldn't.

Thanks

Kathy
                  Kathy Newman

Comment

From the consumer side two different websites have lost a £200+ sale from me today as my address `didn't match the one listed from the card`. Our first line is `Unit 2` which seems to cause problems with Protx, etc. I do use the exact addy off the bank statement etc... anyway, went through no probs with the third company... and, should my order arrive tomorrow as promised... I know who I'll be going back to next time...
                    Football Heaven

For all kinds of football souvenirs and memorabilia.

Comment

Working...
                    X