No announcement yet.

I just bought a black trumpet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I started learning to play the piano 2 years ago at the grand old age of 40 something - passed Grade 1 earlier this year and will take grade 2 at some stage. I LOVE it - something I'd wanted to do for years but never had the chance. I'm also having singing lessons. Spent years knowing there was something "arty" inside me - tried numerous hobbies but never found it - now I have - music & theatre (backstage I hasten to add!) just wish I'd discovered them years ago.

Kathy
    Kathy Newman

Comment

How did you go about learning Kathy - around here, piano teachers are like gold dust, so currently I have my tune a day book and a hope that my neighbour will step in and save the day.

Regards,
      Jan Strassen, Mole End Software - Plugins and Reports for Actinic V4 to V11, Sellerdeck V11 to V2018, Sellerdeck Cloud
      Visit our facebook page for the latest news and special offers from Mole End

Top Quality Integrated label paper for Actinic and Sellerdeck
      A4 Paper with one or two peel off labels, free reports available for our customers
      Product Mash for Sellerdeck
      Link to Google Shopping and other channels, increase sales traffic, prices from £29.95
      Multichannel order processing
      Process Actinic, Sellerdeck, Amazon, Ebay, Playtrade orders with a single program, low cost lite version now available from £19.95

Comment

Hi Jan - was lucky to find a fanastic teacher here in the village - she is so good - still can't get over being able to look at a piece of music and read (most of) the notes and have a go at playing it!

My teacher started me with some very very basic childrens books by John Thompson - thought at the time it was silly but it was actually the best grounding to have.

Kathy
        Kathy Newman

Comment

I have owned a really quite nice £200 tanglewood steel strung acoustic guitar for about 3 years now and I had a Hohner classical acoustic before that but that got killed!

However to this day I still don't actually know how to play it! I know ONE song that I can play (REM - Everybody hurts) that I use if anybody ever asks "can you play"

recently though I have been thinking about getting a cheapish electric guitar (about the £100 quid mark) and learning with that as one of my mates plays electric but hates acoustic BUT is willing to teach me.

I am looking at getting a replica of the Gibson SG Cherry* as they are simply stunning guitars (but originals are a bit pricy at the best part of £700!)

AndrewPK

*that image shows the Epiphone version, made under licence from gibson as a 'cheaper' alternative, but is still nearly 300 quid
          www.incredibid.co.uk

Comment

Used to play the flute... was quite good at it too!

Comment

I learnt the 'cello a school; taught myself the flute and acoustic guitar and picked up a bit of piano. The guitar is warping in the loft, but a couple of years ago we were 'given' a piano, so I got a teach-yourself book and started learning to play it from music. Since then the shop and other things take up all my spare time, so I don't practice much now.

Comment

I was part of a brass band in high school and played the baritone, euphonium and tenor horn.
                http://www.kznprestigeband.za.net/

I was part of the Singapore / Thailand tour who qualified the next band for the world champs in Germany (I believe the drum major went on to be crowned worlds best).

Those were good days. I have so many memories and stories. Most are worth far more than the memories and stories that sport gave me.

Anyway, it is rather sad but there is a certain amount of stigma around anyone musically inclined in South Africa. Especially in the smaller towns. Inevitably many people shy away from music for fear of being ridiculled.
                "Opportunities multiply as they are seized." - Sun Tzu

Comment

Started in school with a cello but got fed up of lugging the darn thing around (especially with a 2 mile walk each way!) so downsized to violin. Got pretty good then moved to USA and found it impossible to find a tutor.

Still got the violin and will never sell it as it's an antique with a beautiful sound - would love to take it up again - maybe in my dotage!

Mum was a tinkler of the ivories and Dad was a professional drummer for many years (the gigs he used to drag me and my sister to..... we thought were soooo boring at the time, but looking back we didn't arf see some bands - hindsight, eh!).

Other half used to play lead guitar in a band so he's s***hot and can play by ear - comes in useful when waiting for a major actinic upload to finish. Plug in the amp, complete important work mission, have a good belting session and entertain the neighbourhood at the same time

Comment

i was trying to resist this one but:
                    two year old organ on ebay
                    isnt that illegal?

Comment

Clarinet & saxophone, but then I do run a music shop!
                      Interesting to see so many traditional instruments coming up here, not so many guitar, drums or keyboard.
                      Long may it continue - as we sell woodwind brass and orchestral strings.
                      Brian
                      www.netmusicalinstruments.co.uk

Comment

Working...
                      X