Search Results Hack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lauren,

I see you've fixed it. You might want to edit that 'Standard Full Search Result' layout to give it a more compact tabular look. You may also want to go to Settings / Search Settings / Results and turn off 'Highligt Located Text' as this adds an extra level of Perl processing that slows things down and produces nothing useful.

If anyone wants to see one of the "Holy Grail" patches - fully buyable search results - in operation; go to http://www.outboxin.com/skoshop.html and search for e.g. "potion".
    Norman - www.drillpine.biz
    Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Thanks Norman ... yes, got it working .... grrrr ..... had only looked at that line of code about 50 times?!? My task for tomorrow morning was to try and figure out how to get the results into 2 columns .... any words of advice?

Thanks again .... you're hack is fantastic!

Lauren

Comment

Hi Norman,

This search page is great. The only thing is that when the page is finished loading, it is on the bottom of the page, not on the top.

How can this be fixed??

Thanks,

Regards,
        Thanks!!

Regards,

Bob

www.valleydecoratingdepot.com

Comment

Bob,

What page?

Comment

Hi Norman,

Sorry...

Search fo lamps on my site...

Thanks!!

Regards,
            Thanks!!

Regards,

Bob

Comment

hmmmm ... what platform are you viewing on? Works fine on PC, but on mac (safari) when the search results page loads it jumps down to the bottom of the page (as if it is jumping to an anchor) to right above the new search area.

Comment

I'm probably being dense here but ....
                If I edit the 'Standard Full Search Result' layout to be two columns it just shows each result twice and if I try to do it by adding a new list to the search result list layouts I do not get the option to edit the list layout settings (as in a product list layout) so that I can add multiple two column rows ...
                Any help would be appreciated.
                Lauren

Comment

Lauren,

What you are trying won't work. Such functionality is for building static HTML pages on your desktop PC.

What we're doing is generating a sequential list using Perl on the server.

I have an add-on (see www.drillpine.biz/actinicstuff ) that allows for multi-column search results. However, this is intended for normal Actinic sites and it would require paid for customisation to adapt to this Full Search Results tweak.

Comment

Windows platform. Vista here IE7, FF ans Oprea and I tried it on win2000 IE6 and still the same thing, page loads to the bottom.

Yes, it wants to show the new search area.
                    Any clue why??

Thanks,

Regards,
                    Thanks!!

Regards,

Bob

Comment

Yes ... Thanks Norman .... took me awhile (clearly was being dense) but I figured this out (ridiculously) late last night.
                      Thanks again for your help.

Bob,
                      The form is jumping to the bottom of the page because the page is focusing on the search text field. If you remove the following code on your search results page this will stop (I guess the other option would be to leave this code and to move the search form on the search results page to the top of the page)

<script language="javascript" type="text/javascript">
                      <!--
                      for (nIndex = 0; nIndex < document.forms.length; nIndex++)
                      {
                      if (document.forms[nIndex] && document.forms[nIndex].SS)
                      {
                      document.forms[nIndex].SS.focus();
                      }
                      }
                      // -->
                      </script>

Comment

Thankyou very much Lauren!!! It worked!!

BTW, how did you know that the page was focusing on that field??

Thanks!!

Regards,
                        Thanks!!

Regards,

Bob

Comment

Your welcome.
                          I noticed that the search page was jumping down exactly to the search box and that the cursor was already in that box .... so I looked for the form focus script.

Comment

Any idea why some products that should be in the search results actually return an error such as:

Not found: sr_aFIBPM100_2E013.html

I'll also try and see where there is code missing

EDIT:
                            It appears that this error code only happens to the products without components. Works fine for those with components (set up as sizes).

Also, search results show items that should only be available for registered or logged in customers.

Also, when adding a product to the cart, bounces to the home page.
                            Sam
                            http://www.originaltouch.co.uk
                            http://www.spcb.co.uk

If you spend your whole life waiting for the storm, you’ll never enjoy the sunshine.

Failure is the tuition you pay for success.

Comment

No-one can help without knowing what to search on and which item is misbehaving.

Comment

As this wasn't working, I changed it back to the standard search page.
                                I will now change it back to the Full Search Results for you to see.

Look at:
                                http://www.spcb.co.uk/acatalog/Fibreglass.html

Here is a list of 4 filters, including 2 offending ones. You will see which is which by the product code in the error.

Then search for "filter".
                                As mentioned, there are quite a few products with error codes, including these 2 at the top.

Not found: sr_aFIBPM100_2E013.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                                Not found: sr_aFIBPP100_2E001.html

The only thing they all have in common that is different from the products that are shown correctly, is that they do not have components. (May even be a set up for these items).
                                Sam
                                http://www.originaltouch.co.uk
                                http://www.spcb.co.uk

If you spend your whole life waiting for the storm, you’ll never enjoy the sunshine.

Failure is the tuition you pay for success.

Comment

Working...
                                X