No announcement yet.

Search Results Hack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best go back to my code and use it as the basis for your layout.
    Hi Norman,

Thanks again for your help. The only layout I remember altering was the code where you mentioned - "this is just a copy of the Standard Product Layout using CSS): and then below the code said - "You can amend this as necessary. Or copy in other Product Layouts." and so had changed this to fit better across the page, although it is possible I changed something else by accident - the reason I didnt think I had was because until I changed the product name on some of the products all the search results were showing correctly and so it appeared that this may have caused some issues. However I will go back to the start with your code and work from there which should hopefully resolve the issue.

As always Norman I am very grateful for your help with this.

This always perplexes me i must say, how on earth can you be given a solution, stray quite significantly away from it and then state it's not working. Is it me on my different planet or is that way of working nothing short of plain ludicrous? What do i miss in these situations, i sit here baffled at times.
    Lee have I said something to upset you or something as I was only asking if anyone could suggest what might have happened and at no point did I try saying this didnt work. I clearly stated in my original post that I had everything working fine when i first implemented the search hack I only started seeing errors after I made some changes to product names. I did not know it was wrong to ask for advice when I got stuck with something - I have always tried to answer other peoples queries when I can and have always tried to post solutions to problems that I have solved for reference for other users. I have always thanked anyone that has helped and at no point ever tried to point the finger or blame anyone else when something has gone wrong - I appologise if somehow you thought this was the case.

Kind Regards
    Jon
    www.designtoplease.co.uk
    www.getmeoutofahole.com
    www.toys4james.co.uk
    Located in Herts

Comment

Originally posted by Design2Please
      Lee have I said something to upset you or something as I was only asking if anyone could suggest what might have happened and at no point did I try saying this didnt work. I clearly stated in my original post that I had everything working fine when i first implemented the search hack I only started seeing errors after I made some changes to product names. I did not know it was wrong to ask for advice when I got stuck with something - I have always tried to answer other peoples queries when I can and have always tried to post solutions to problems that I have solved for reference for other users. I have always thanked anyone that has helped and at no point ever tried to point the finger or blame anyone else when something has gone wrong - I appologise if somehow you thought this was the case.
      I don't think i put my point across very well having reread it. I am not upset at all (certainly not with you), more completely misunderstanding what goes wrong in these situations and trying to understand them. How do clear instructions fail so often on a forum etc. Google analytics thread is another prime example.

I read your post and thought, does he really think because he shortened a product name it all went wrong, i guess when it happens to you and it is new ground, you can look for any reason other than the logical one.

It was not meant to be directed at you, more a baffled question, apologies if it seemed that way.

Comment

Sorry I have not replied to this thread for while I have been rather busy over Xmas period.

Just wanted to post to say I found out what was causing the layout to appear wrong for the products where I had shortend the name. I had accidentally left a space at the end of the product names when I shortened which them which caused issues with the layout. e.g. "product name " instead of "product name".

It was not meant to be directed at you, more a baffled question, apologies if it seemed that way.
        Lee - Apologies if I took your post in the wrong way - I was getting very frustrated with the issue and so was probably a bit hasty to snap back.
        Jon
        www.designtoplease.co.uk
        www.getmeoutofahole.com
        www.toys4james.co.uk
        Located in Herts

Comment

Search button Issue

Hi All!!
          I was wondering if anyone can help. The search button in the 'Search Results Page Bulk Area' stopped working. Not sure what I did, but everything else is OK. Just doing some "cosmetic work". Previous snapshot is the same. Maybe it never worked??

Thanks in Advance!!

Regards,
          Thanks!!

Regards,

Bob

www.valleydecoratingdepot.com

Comment

Bob,

The </form> tag at the end of your Search fields is missing.
            Norman - www.drillpine.biz
            Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Originally posted by completerookie
              paul,
              as a sidenote, I went to the site, and initially tried to type into the area called "FIND", it took me a few seconds to realise that although it looked like an input field, iy was in fact a title for the "Find" area

having said that the patch is a good one, thanks
              exactly the same lol

Comment

Originally posted by NormanRouxel
                When I look in your generated search results I see (for each line returned)

<Actinic:S_FULLSEARCHRESULTS/>

However I don't see <Actinic:S_FULLSEARCHRESULTS/> anywhere in my patch. I do see <Actinic:S_FULLRESULTS/>. Creative editing perhaps?
                Hi Norman

I'm getting the same result, just the horizontal rules but my code does show <Actinic:S_FULLRESULTS/>

site : http://domain501676.sites.fasthosts.com

I've been through your instructions twice and can't find what's preventing it working... any ideas please?

Regards

Ruth
                Ruth Hibberd
                Http://www.ivisual.co.uk Web Design and Development

Comment

Ruth,

This is complex patch and it's almost impossible to diagnose remotely. All I can tell from here is that the sr_*****.html files are correctly being generated. What's in SearchScript.pl or the Results Template is not available to me.

Whatever else is wrong is beyond me. Long standing experience tells me that about 90% of people who say they've followed the instructions exactly - haven't.

Comment

Update.

I just installed this patch from posts 8 and 9 to check it was OK. It was.

However I found a way to simplify the code needed in layout 'Standard Full Search Result', so I've amended post #8 to reflect that.

If you're already using the patch and want to update it, do this:

Go to Design / Library / Layouts / Full Search Results / Standard Full Search Result and replace all code there with
                    Code:
                    <actinic:variable name="ProductLayout" />
                    You can amend this, if required, to use other Product Layouts - perhaps use a fixed layout that's a bit more concise.

Comment

Thanks Norman

I'll try it again with your amend and fingers crossed! (Should make for interesting typing!) :-)
                      Ruth Hibberd
                      Http://www.ivisual.co.uk Web Design and Development

Comment

Fragments

Fantastic patch...

Has anyone made amendments so that fragments show up as well as product layouts?

Julian

Comment

v9

Has anyone managed to make amendments to the perl patch to make this one work with v9 yet...

There must be a variable rename or something that is stopping it from working... does anyone have any ideas.

Thanks

Julian

Comment

nerver mind

never mind - works fine with v9 - its me being a muppet!!!

Comment

It's a great patch. I had it looking really good with add to basket buttons and everything.

But after I installed the v9 update its gone...

Comment

v9

once you install v9, actinic overwritese the searchscript.pl file that.

Just re do the perl script changes and you should be all ready to go...

(near the bottom of normans post on page 1 - just abot the last thing you had to do.

Comment

Working...
                                X