Mobile Phones

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mobile Phones

I'm due to change my mobile phone - and can't decide what to get. Shortlist at the moment is:

Sony W850i
    Samsung U600
    Samsung X830
    Motorola KRZR K1

Does anyone have any experience good or bad of any of these?

Ta Muchly

Kathy
    Kathy Newman

<twocents>

sony erricson are the brand of choice for me. they do what they are supposed to and suffer less software problems, not to mention the great sdk they give out means better java apps are developed and their firmware update service, whic is free off the website.

the motorola razr series are a joke, softwre bug wise.

the samsung phones are stylish to the point of uselessness.

</twocents>

Comment

Only Nokia for me, the rest are just wannabees IMO.

Comment

well, I have a preference for Sony Ericsson myself (I still miss my W800i) but I currently have a Nokia (girlie 7373 )

Can't fault a Sony though...we've had (well, we still have) quite a few and have rarely had trouble with them during everyday use

So I'd go for the 850i without hesitation!
        Tracey

Comment

I've just upgraded from a Sony K600i to a Nokia N73. I liked the Sony a lot although the camera was not the best. As this is one thing I use a lot on my phone, the N73 was an easy choice. I was torn between that and a better Sony but I don't regret my descision, it's a very, very good phone and has loads of useful bits with the familiar Nokia ease of use. Battery life is also very good for such a beast.

I reckon it's worth a look.
          Blank DVD
          Cloth Nappies

Comment

Originally posted by kathynewman
            I'm due to change my mobile phone - and can't decide what to get. Shortlist at the moment is:

Sony W850i
            Samsung U600
            Samsung X830
            Motorola KRZR K1

Does anyone have any experience good or bad of any of these?
            Well Mobile Phones are my main (web) business and it depends what you want a phone for (as daft as that sounds). I'll give you my verdict but its down to price and personal opinion:

SE W850i: Is basically a phone in a Walkman. Its an MP3 player mainly but with a 2mp camera and video calling. Supports memory stick duo if you want to store lots more data/songs/pics etc. Quad band (works abroad). Bluetooth.

Samsung U600: Its the slimmest slide phone available and therefore looks quite cool. 3.2mp camera, video. Supports micro sd memory card for storing more data. Quad band (works abroad), bluetooth. May have poor battery life (because of the slim battery).

Samsung X830: Another music player phone. 1.3mp camera so pics may not look too great. Video camera. Bluetooth. Triband (so can be used most places abroad). Quirky design and available in pink!!

Moto KRZR K1: 2mp camera, video camera. micro sd card compatible. Bluetooth. Lots of technical issues with this phone so I suggest stear clear unless recent firmware upgrades fix the issues.

For me or my wife, for a cool phone with a great camera, I'd go with the Samsung U600. BUT don't expect the battery to last weeks (maybe couple days at most).

Comment

I'm due to change my mobile phone - and can't decide what to get.
              what do you want the phone to do?

apart from make calls.

Comment

Originally posted by Stereo Steve
                I've just upgraded from a Sony K600i to a Nokia N73. I liked the Sony a lot although the camera was not the best. As this is one thing I use a lot on my phone, the N73 was an easy choice. I was torn between that and a better Sony but I don't regret my descision, it's a very, very good phone and has loads of useful bits with the familiar Nokia ease of use. Battery life is also very good for such a beast.

I reckon it's worth a look.
                I just upgraded my N73 software (to cure sending text issue), and despite backing up my stuff onto the memory card and onto the pc neither of the *coughs* backups would restore.... so lost quite a lot of pictures ( )and more importantly a whole pile of numbers... nightmare.

Apart from that I quite like it although the Sony seems to be better at recording videos at gigs. Althought that might just be me.
                Football Heaven

For all kinds of football souvenirs and memorabilia.

Comment

I also have the Nokia N73. Because of its Symbian os it can be slow sometimes but really is a great phone. Excellent camera quality (pics and vid).

Given unlimited resources i'd probably go for the Nokia N95. Near DVD quality video, 5mp camera (Carl Zeiss optics like the N73), built in gps etc etc etc etc etc. Probably the most technically advanced smart phone at the moment.

However all these phones make and receive calls, so are all these features really important to you? (is the question)

Comment

Yeah, a wee bit slow sometimes to change from one app to another but a very sturdy item too (I live a hard life).

PS I have the best ringtone ever... FACTAMUNDO!!!!!!!!!!!
                    Football Heaven

For all kinds of football souvenirs and memorabilia.

Comment

Thanks - don't do too much with phone mainly texts & calls, occasionally use camera, rarely video (but may do if had better one) and listening to some music sometimes would be good.

Main thing it's got to be is on 12 month contract with 12 months free line rental!

Kathy
                      Kathy Newman

Comment

Sony for me as well .. although have only switched it on once so far this month (but it worked beautifully when I did )

Bikster
                        SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

My wife's got the W850i, I've got the K800i, very happy with both - I prefer the K800i by quite a margin. Better (apparent) build quality, plus 3.2 megapixel camera with proper (not LED) flash - this is higher resolution than the original camera we used for the product shots on our website. The camera is truly useable and means I don't carry a separate camera any more.
                          Music great too, but music menu system not quite as flash as the W850i.

Aquazuro - designer stainless steel accessories

Comment

Originally posted by Mark H
                            higher resolution than the original camera we used for the product shots
                            ... although the optics on mobiles are particularly poor and the CCD is a fraction of the size (higher signal noise on the image) compared to even the most basic of cameras with a lower resolution. That said, modern mobiles are more than adequate for grabbing snapshots when out and about.

Bikster
                            SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

I can vouch for the fact that the picture quality on the K800i is every bit as good as the Nikon 3 megapixel we originally used (and paid £750 for......), plus the K800i even has image and video stabilisation, which is not yet available on all digital cameras.

Aquazuro - designer stainless steel accessories

Comment

Working...
                              X