• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gabrielcrowe
    sadly, they are kinda cool.
    But beaten hands down by iPhone/iPod Touch

Aquazuro - designer stainless steel accessories

Comment

iPhone/iPod Touch
      I checked out some of my actinic sites on these the other week and they all worked very well on them.

Comment

IMO internet browsing on these devices is so good that the concept of specific sites for mobile devices is now redundant (assuming that other manufacturers catch up relatively quickly). One less thing to worry about

Bye bye .mobi - so glad we only bought 6 of these

Aquazuro - designer stainless steel accessories

Comment

As far as internet browsing goes there's not much catching up to do. As Gabriel says OperaMini 4 does this on your mobile right now. I have it on my N73 and it works great.

Comment

the concept of specific sites for mobile devices is now redundant
            It certainly is - I think phone manufacturers realised that very few people were going to design specific sites so they had to make the phone os do the work. I was very surprised at just how well Actinic worked on the iphone but soon it will be more important to check your designs on mobile browsers than on IE!. Mobile browsing and shopping is forecast to go through the roof and sites that dont work on mobiles will suffer.

Comment

Actinic is (both luckily and unluckily) built on web tech that most browsers can support.

Though its never happened to us, its possible to buy items from a catalog, using a text based browser. such as lynx. A good browser for SEO optimisation work.

The issues are really down to display of pages, and the little safari based browser in iphones does a good job, as good a job as mobile opera, they both have a screen rotate feature, but, sunce opera is free, and i dont need an iphone, my vote is firmly cast.

I do love all the emergent technologies. I embraced ajax and json the second i heard about them, and i also embraced the idea of mashups. an anciant concept, given name.

my Tech of the day is yahoo pipes. All pipes really is, is a way to aggregate xml and rss type feeds, into a single application. A sort of mashup engine. There are a few of these available at the moment, but pipes is probably one of the easiest to use. you can make some pretty clever stuff with it.

Comment

Looks interesting - never enough hours in a day to look at all of this stuff.

Gabs, king of the command line, you seem to like the nitty gritty underlying stuff, me on the other hand being primarily a windows user am drawn rather to how it will look.

(Although I'm currently learning linux on my little ASUS eeepc - so maybe things will change, even if it's only my perspective)

Comment

I definately love pretty interfaces. But they will never replace the precise nature, and the low memory usage of a well written commandline app, for single tasks.

I really do like the work that MS has done on the 'surface'. I'm just waiting for integration into living spaces and bars near me, so i can hack it.

Comment

This is all a bit complex.
                    Football Heaven

For all kinds of football souvenirs and memorabilia.

Comment

He's right you lot! pens and paper all round.

Comment

Originally posted by gabrielcrowe
                        He's right you lot! pens and paper all round.

*scribbles a note to G...attaches it to pigeon's foot and opens window*

Fly, my beauty, fly.....
                        Tracey

Comment

*registers beavermail.com*
                          Football Heaven

For all kinds of football souvenirs and memorabilia.

Comment

Wow! I just spotted Professor Stephen Hawking in Photosynth's Piazza San Marco. http://www.labs.live.com/photosynth/...0222:-0.366951
                            Norman - www.drillpine.biz
                            Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Coincidence - I don't think so. I wonder who else you can see in those pictures.

Comment

Working...
                              X