Somebody get rid of nsk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Somebody get rid of nsk

Will a moderator please get rid of this nsk guy and all his posts.

Not only is he spamming as many threads as he can, it also looks as if his images are trying to download something nasty.

This looks like another case of Actinic ignoring genuine requests from forum members to tighten up security before it's too late.

Not impressed!

Mike
    -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

could not agree more mike, posted something similar on the other thread

d

Comment

I've mentioned before that its far to easy to register for this forum. You get rid of one spammed and another one starts. Why is there no registration procedure like other forums which will illiminate spam

Comment

Originally posted by RuralWeb View Post
        I've mentioned before that its far to easy to register for this forum. You get rid of one spammed and another one starts. Why is there no registration procedure like other forums which will illiminate spam
        Exactly what i said here http://community.actinic.com/showthr...739#post230739

Comment

The difficulty as I see it is that the people who tend to spam on here are manual spammers (as opposed to automated spamming bots). Once registered, there is nothing to stop anybody spamming really. I run a relatively large forum myself (no where near as big as this mind), and the process there is standard; User joins up, email is sent to users email address for verification, they then have to click the link to get accepted. There is no way I could manually verify every person who registers as it would take up too much time.

It's a problem, but not sure how you can completely eliminate manual spammers entirely.
          KDM Digital Media - Actinic web design and hosting

Comment

Having a "report this post" button would help.
            Reusable Snore Earplugs : Sample Earplugs - Wax Earplugs - Women's Earplugs - Children's Earplugs - Music Earplugs - Sleep Masks

Comment

As Kevin says - there is nothing we can do about manual spammers - and all the spammers we have had recently have all manually registered for the forum before sending the user logon details to some sort of terrible spamming bot.

The current registration process is:
              1) User registers, where they have to complete one of those Captcha image checks.
              2) They then cannot post, but are sent an email asking them to click a link to confirm their registration.
              3) Once they click the link, they can post.

It's very difficult to know how to tighten that up further beyond having a moderation queue for new users. This might be the only answer - but we currently don't have the staff on call 24/7 to make sure that genuine posters can ask their questions as soon as possible.

Any suggestions welcome, but to say that we somehow don't care is untrue. There's just very little we can do about it.

Comment

The 'Report Bad Post' button is now back as before. (little red triangle). You can use this for spam messages.

Comment

We've just had another spammer join in - geekquoji spamming chinese dresses of all things.

Any suggestions welcome, but to say that we somehow don't care is untrue. There's just very little we can do about it.
                  I'm not trying to say that actinic don't care. I've always viewed actinic as people who do care and usually do something to fix stuff when they can. The issue I have is that it sometimes seems to take Actinic a long time to get around to doing things with the forum. The server problems being a recent example.

In terms of what can be done about it, I'm not sure.

The only reason for spamming the forum would seem to be for links (and or embedded dowload images). Is there nothing that can be done to create a system where the posting of embedded links is only permitted after one months membership (or one month after an inital post is approved). Until that time people would only be able to post an inactive link text for showing problem sites etc. Another idea would be that until manually approved, after 30 days or whatever, only links to actinic sites with /acatalog/ in the url are allowed.

There seems to be plenty of options along these lines that could be followed. Are any of them do-able?

Mike

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Currently hot topic about paying sweat-shop style Chinese workers to manually apply for and create accounts to overcome captcha verifications.

Bikster
                    SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Originally posted by cdicken View Post
                      It's very difficult to know how to tighten that up further beyond having a moderation queue for new users. This might be the only answer - but we currently don't have the staff on call 24/7 to make sure that genuine posters can ask their questions as soon as possible.
                      How about sending a link to new Actinic purchasers recommending they sign up for the community asap?
                      Reusable Snore Earplugs : Sample Earplugs - Wax Earplugs - Women's Earplugs - Children's Earplugs - Music Earplugs - Sleep Masks

Comment

Surey this can only be perceived as something good - in reality it means than newbies might be forced to search the forum to find the answer before ploughing in to ask or even ask support.

As we have always said this is not a support forum so realistically nothing "urgent" should be posted anyway

there are plenty of forum that do manual moderation - its a pain if you want an answer but we live with it

Comment

I agree with up totally no new member should be allowed to post immediately. No other forum I'm a member of allows this to happen for exactly the reasons we see here.

Even a 7 day time delay between registering and being allowed to post would help. Nothing posted here should be urgent as up says so what's the problem

Comment

Originally posted by RuralWeb View Post
                            I agree with up totally no new member should be allowed to post immediately. No other forum I'm a member of allows this to happen for exactly the reasons we see here.

Even a 7 day time delay between registering and being allowed to post would help. Nothing posted here should be urgent as up says so what's the problem
                            If I joined a forum and was told I couldn't post for X amount of days I wouldn't come back again simple as that.

Agree its not a support forum, and agree that encouraging users to search first is good, but deffinately don't think stopping new users asking questions is the way forward. Personally, none of the forums I am a member of have ever stopped me posting. Some of them use manual registration moderation but most use exactly the same methods that CD uses on this site, and all of them have the same issues with manual spammers.

Kev
                            KDM Digital Media - Actinic web design and hosting

Comment

Originally posted by cdicken View Post

OK banning ip ranges, banning email accounts, ban throw away email accounts, as in hotmail, gmail e.t.c user have the option not to recieve email so no reason not to use there company email accounts.

just a couple suggestions

D

Comment

Working...
                              X