Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TraceyHand View Post
    and, clearly, it works!
    Indeed - my boss almost fell for it yesterday! As we do a lot of business with Customs it adds to the believability.

Bikster
    SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Originally posted by george View Post
      I wonder how many she passed on unknowlingly?
      and to you?
      I have to admit that the first thing I did to both my Mum's and sister's new laptops was remove Norton (spit spit) and install Spybot and AVG(free)

At the very least, they provide SOME protection. I'm surprised that any new laptops come without ANY form of antivirus at all. a lot seem to come with Norton installed nowadays
      Tracey

Comment

I guess my question was a bit tongue in cheek as I know there are people out there who are like that. I'm just very surprised that anyone using a computer for important stuff doesn't have it protected.

A couple of years ago my brother in law was complaining about his PC being slow. It turned out he was running what he called a 'dodgy' copy of XP so he wasn't allowing any updates in case microsoft took exception. No anti-virus, no firewall, you can imagine what a mess it was in.

Mike

a lot seem to come with Norton installed nowadays
        That's half the problem I think. They get Norton free for 6 months, then asked to pay £50 a year at which point they think "sod this" and turn it off.
        -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by TraceyHand View Post
          and to you?
          Nah, I at least I hope not anyway! As I receive quite a lot of emails of the `forwarded on` kind I have to be very vigilant on such subjects. Have not had a problem with this for ages.

Still dont download emails to the `Actinic pc` though, just in case.
          Football Heaven

For all kinds of football souvenirs and memorabilia.

Comment

Originally posted by jont View Post
            my boss almost fell for it yesterday!

Were you on his/her knee at the time laddie?
            Football Heaven

Comment

Behave yourself - filthy beast.

Bikster

Comment

What AV software do you use Jonty?

I'm a bit of a fan of AVG but finding it neads tweaks nowadays to make it work better.
                Football Heaven

Comment

AVG on some and Kaspersky on others.. along with a plethora of spyware finding stuff.. Kaspersky has the edge IMO.

First line of defense is alway best though - not using main emails in plain links, server filters, spam filters etc... keep the blighters out and those that do get through let the AV mop 'em up.

Bikster

Comment

How often do you guys check for updates in your chosen AV software.

I did a manual check yesterday and noted my last update was 18/7 - this pesky ups virus had been delivered to me.

after my update the virus was detected and quantantined. i'm now wondering if i should be checking for updates daily. (up til now it was weekly)

Comment

mine updates every morning, just FTR
                      Tracey

Comment

Kaspersky is an hourly update - AVG is checked daily (automatically and I also do 3 or 4 manual checks throughout the day)

Bikster

Comment

Has to be daily (in my opinion). As Jonty suggests they're very quick at releasing solutions to potential risks nowadays so no harm in setting a scheduled update or two every day.
                          Football Heaven

Comment

Working...
                          X