Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Google lets you edit your search results.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Google lets you edit your search results.

I have noticed that when signed into Google, there are new buttons near search results, that let you either promote a result, or strip it out.

You can also post public comments on sites, and view comments by others.

This is an interesting move by Google, who may or not be using this data to better their indexes.

Editing Google?

Please, hyper evaluate:

hmmm..so it does
    Presumably it only affects results as they are displayed to YOU though?
    Tracey

Comment

this is true. however i cannot believe that if a massive group of people vote a site up, then it'll not rise the ranks?

Comment

interesting.
        I LOVE your conspiracy theories, Gabe!!
        Tracey

Comment

is this what you are talking about?
          http://www.techcrunch.com/2008/11/21/google-it-wasnt-broke/
          "If my answers frighten you then you should cease asking scary questions"

Comment

Is it just me or is Google ever increasingly becoming a Big Brother of the web?

They spy on you like the CIA.

What we need is somebody with access (or friends!) to several IP's, spread across the world. Then we can find a search phrase that yields very few results, then we can vote it up and see if they really are spying or if we're all just conspirators, what'd you think?

Comment

Its the natural course of any business - WORLD DOMINATION!

Comment

I've been seeing this for around a week now. Its interesting to see in my search results when another site has been "bigged up" by other people.
                KDM Digital Media - Actinic web design and hosting

Comment

Anyone successfully left a comment which is visible to others? (or even seen one??)

Aquazuro - designer stainless steel accessories

Comment

The other interesting / worrying addition is the button to add a publie comment that can be viewed by everyone. How can you stop a competitor from adding a negative comment.
                    Darren Guppy
                    Golf Tee Warehouse
                    Golf Tees and Golf Accessories.

Comment

I've not actually seen that bit working yet..... but is worrying.
                      KDM Digital Media - Actinic web design and hosting

Comment

Whats more worrying is the fact when you promote a site, it then stay at the top for other related keywords that you are up on too.
                        So if a competitor was 5th for a keyword and someone promoted them to No.1, they would also be No.1 position for other keywords too, so all that hardwork in SEO is useless!

Comment

Paul,

The site promote feature only applies to your own searches while logged into google and is not seen by anybody else, although whether Google use the data in their own algorithm is unclear.
                          Darren Guppy
                          Golf Tee Warehouse
                          Golf Tees and Golf Accessories.

Comment

not strictly true.

you see, its only for you, currently logged in to see.

you cannot directly edit the public's view of the web. only your own.

Comment

ummmm interesting, so if people are logging into Google and promoting sites, then regardless after that promotion you will have no chance of getting to number 1?

Comment

Working...
                              X