Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Pc. What processor

Hi All,
    It's pc upgrade time in January and although my design work is all done on a Mac, I still prefer to run a separate pc for Actinic development. The one thing I'm sure of is that it'll be XP (I've done enough installations on client machines to know the folly of Vista!). My question is more of whether a dual core, quad core processor or a xeon processor would give me any performance advantage with XP and Actinic. (Or just spend the difference on buckets of RAM)

Your thoughts as always, are most welcome.
    Richard Gosler
    Phoenix Digital Media Ltd
    Dorset, UK

One of my development PCs had a motherboard failure a couple of weeks ago. Rather than replace it with a new machine I decided to just replace with a bundled motherboard and got a Core 2 Duo 3Ghz with 4Gb RAM. Actinic runs faster than it did on the old P4 3.6Ghz. Bought it from Novatech for £245 (including replacing all the internals bits - 500Gb hard drive - wireless card - dvd - power supply - extra 2Gb RAM and graphics card - it came in at a total of £400) - it's certainly worth having a look on their site. I always use XP Pro.

I um'd and ar'd over getting an i7 but decided against it as I needed a workhorse rather than a top of the range PC - and it was about £400-£600 cheaper.

Comment

I'm tempted to get a single quad core xeon processor'd machine, 4Gb ram running XP x64. Anyone with a similar setup ? As a mid priced Dell workstation, they seem to offer a lot of performance for the money.
      Richard Gosler
      Phoenix Digital Media Ltd
      Dorset, UK

Comment

Originally posted by pixelhaus View Post
        I'm tempted to get a single quad core xeon processor'd machine, 4Gb ram running XP x64. Anyone with a similar setup ? As a mid priced Dell workstation, they seem to offer a lot of performance for the money.
        You need to check compatability of software with XP64 as not all programs will work with it.

Malcolm

SellerDeck Accredited Partner,
        SellerDeck 2016 Extensions, and
        Custom Packages

Comment

Originally posted by theAdviserMe
          I have been using Windows XP Pro and so far got no problem with the application. Good luck on your search...
          AdviserMe? Please advise me on spam, I'm not quite sure what it is

Comment

What happened to the no links for newcomers policy? was that just links in the post but they can still spam in their signature?

Mike
            -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

I mentioned that when I reported the poster.
              Seems only 1 of 3 posts was removed though *shrugs*
              Tracey

Comment

The forum should have the 'signature' and 'links in post' set to a minimum of 10 posts. Then another add-on to stop automated registrations and it'd be almost sorted. Though this forum gets spammed a hell of a lot less than most vB forums.

Comment

All 3 posts have now been deleted.

At least when a spammer does strike the posts are quickly reported and soon after deleted.
                  Darren Guppy
                  Golf Tee Warehouse
                  Golf Tees and Golf Accessories.

Comment

OOOH

What did I miss?
                    Chris Ashdown

Comment

LOL Nothing much Chris - just a new spammer.

Comment

Nothing much, just a new member who made three posts containing a link in their signature but the posts were fairly pointless and clearly only made for the purpose of the signature link.
                        Darren Guppy
                        Golf Tee Warehouse
                        Golf Tees and Golf Accessories.

Comment

Working...
                        X