Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

extending the search, web 2.0 style

http://www.skateasylum.co.uk/playgro...-spotlight.htm

here is a prototype search, using data from actinic. its very rough at the moment, but you get the idea.

anyone care to give it a go, let me know what you think? am i on the right lines?

Looks great Gabe, price would be a great addition but other than that I like it. Could maybe do with a link to the full search results too.
    Cheers

David
    Located in Edinburgh UK

http://twitter.com/mcfinster

Comment

well, when the user presses enter (and you can bet your life they will) the search is forwarded to the actinic internal search.

in this demo, my page isnt in the right place, so that does not happen.

price you say? done.

Comment

Originally posted by gabrielcrowe View Post
        well, when the user presses enter (and you can bet your life they will) the search is forwarded to the actinic internal search.
        yes having to realise that you should not press enter is going to cause a few problems.

Malcolm

SellerDeck Accredited Partner,
        SellerDeck 2016 Extensions, and
        Custom Packages

Comment

Neat!
          having to realise that you should not press enter is going to cause a few problems
          You can inhibit form submission on the enter key. I usually use:
          Code:
          <input type="text" name="myfield" onKeypress="return ((event.which ? event.which : event.keyCode) != '13')">
          Norman - www.drillpine.biz
          Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

nice one norm. will this code interfere with the keyup i'm using, in some odd unforseeable way?

Comment

i ahve tested it in a few browsers and it works well, thanks!

in IE, the div to be populated with the search data, is peeking out below, can anyone figure out why?

Comment

Very nice

Comment

What is div#wrapper doing that

<div id="wrapper"> and #wrapper

doesn't?

I saw a cheeky mention of absolute positioning, IE probably fell apart when it saw that.

Very nice work though, looks good!

Comment

it only ensures that wrapper is a div. it i had span id="wrapper" it'd not match.

Comment

The overlap looks like the results div, perhaps a display: none; is required for IE, seems to be inheriting some sizes from somewhere.

Comment

it only ensures that wrapper is a div. it i had span id="wrapper" it'd not match.
                        So for when you wish to duplicate IDs? never seen that before, can't think how I'd ever use it.

Comment

i ahve tested it in a few browsers and it works well, thanks!

in IE, the div to be populated with the search data, is peeking out below, can anyone figure out why?
                          very neat search feature.

Malcolm

SellerDeck Accredited Partner,
                          SellerDeck 2016 Extensions, and
                          Custom Packages

Comment

Originally posted by leehack View Post
                            So for when you wish to duplicate IDs? never seen that before, can't think how I'd ever use it.
                            well, really, we should never use it. an id on a page should always be unique imho.

i cant recall any reason you'd want to use 'div#style' notation either. in this demo, its completely pointless, lol.

Comment

It's OK in IE8 Gabe, IE7 & IE6 borked. The absolute positioning has most of my money if I had to bet.

Comment

Working...
                              X