Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How to "Photoshop" a scanned ruler

Hi
    Looking for some help from somebody who is good with Photoshop.
    The image in this link:

http://www.baypressservices.com/acat...Gauge_612.html

was created by somebody who new what he was doing, in Photoshop, from a scanned image similar to the attached image.

If anybody knows how to do this....

Thanks
    Dave
    Attached Files
    www.baypressservices.com

You cold create one similar from scratch easier than 'photoshopping' the scanned image you have.

Otherwise I think you really need to start off with a better image than you have by perhaps taking a photo of it using a light box.

Comment

Thanks Duncan
      You think the original artist worked from a photo rather than from a scan?
      Could be.
      Don't know for sure.
      Dave
      www.baypressservices.com

Comment

Hi Dave,

We use a metal ruler in some of our images, and we've found it's a lot better to take a photo rather than scan. There's usually more clarity, and more detail, as long as you get the light right. We use photographic lights which make a great deal of difference- you have even lighting and fewer shadows.

I'm not a photoshop expert- I use it for the basics- but I'd have thought the original image you're trying to replicate would have been taken from a digital image and cut out, then placed on a background, in Photoshop.

Hope this helps.
        Ben
        Ben
        http://www.fairygoodies.co.uk

Comment

Theres a good (old) thread elsewhere on the forum about images, I'll post it up later if I can find it.

I find scanning gilt and silver just `doesnt work` (because of reflection?) and you get much better results using a camera.
          Football Heaven

For all kinds of football souvenirs and memorabilia.

Comment

Originally posted by george View Post
            gilt and silver
            Football bling?

Comment

I'm fairly sure the orginal image was a photo, not a scan, as it has a consistent light source. Your image, really, isn't going to scrub up enough in Photoshop if you ask me. You would spend much more time editing the image. Can you not get an image from the manufacturer of the ruler?

You'd have to look at dodging and burning a lot of the image you have (there are a lot of dark areas that need lightening up etc) - it just wouldn't be worth while in my opinion.

Kevin
              KDM Digital Media - Actinic web design and hosting

Comment

Metallic objects just do not scan correctly.

Stick it in front of a window on top of a curved piece of paper (I use white wall paper lining paper - cheap as chips and you never run out if damaged) to create an infinity curve with a piece of black card on 1 side to add some definition to the metallic edges and take a picture ... no need for studio lights on bright, sunny days.

Bikster
                SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

It's also possible that the image was built in Illustrator - nothing particularly difficult about drawing it.
                  The Pretty Dress Company

Comment

I agree, the picture on the website does look handmade. I can't create a ruler, but if you get a good photo to me I'll happily cut it out for you and add your background or whatever you need.
                    Regards,

Nick Churchill
                    www.oliverslighting.co.uk
                    Olivers Online Shop
                    Working within SellerDeck V11

Comment

Hi it should only take a few minutes to do what you need if you have a higher res scan.
                      I did a quick photoshop tweak in under 2 mins.
                      If you have a higher res I don't mind spearing ten mins.
                      attached ruler image
                      Wes
                      Attached Files
                      Treasure Island Sweets

Comment

I'm not sure if I fully understand what you are trying to do here but i will throw something into the mix anyway. Can you install screen calipers and screenshot it instead?

Comment

First photography thread on here for ages and todays the day I drop my Fuji Finepix onto a concrete floor and kill it.

What a bitch.
                          Football Heaven

Comment

what Finepix is it George? I have two spares, one in pieces. I may have the bit you need!
                            Ben
                            http://www.fairygoodies.co.uk

Comment

The dead one is an F30.

Cant see any visual damage other than one corner that has taken the brunt of the fall on it and it seems to have swelled the case a bit around that area. It does not switch on with the on/off button now either, just the play button (strange?) and you can only browse the memory, the lens no longer opens, and you cannot even alter the shooting settings since it does not want to go into camera mode.

Shall I inflict some ultra-violence?
                              Football Heaven

Comment

Working...
                              X