Blackberry basic help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blackberry basic help

Thinking about getting a blackberry but struggling to get my head around how the email works.

There are full explanations for setting it up with hotmail / Gmail etc, plus another section talking about big corporate email set-up, but I'm not sure it will work with the email I get through my website.

Sorry if my ponderings are a little dumb. I don't need full set-up details, just want to know if they are being used successfully with the type of mail system I'm likely to get through my hosting (Fasthosts...sorry!)

Cheers
    Peter Hayes
    www.hohobird.com
    Antiques Clocks, Barometers etc

i use my hosting control panel to forward my domain email to a 2nd acct which downloads into outlook, i also forward to gmail and blackberry picks this up.

thus i have 2 full copies on both devices.

Comment

Thanks Jo. It is upgrade time again so Vodafone are trying to tempt me. I've lived without mobile email so far but sometimes wish I had access to it. They have the flash Blackberry Storm (touchscreen...mixed reviews) which looks tempting. No Wifi but 3G and 'unlimited' data plan.

Don't know if I'm just being tempted by the flash phone. Other plan is to go to Asda paygo Mobile (vodafone network) at 8p/min and stay in the old world!
      Peter Hayes
      www.hohobird.com

Comment

I genuinely would feel at a loss in life without my Blackberry. There's always that time of day when you remember something and need to tell somebody about it - I've got mine set up with a single e-mail address which I use for this sole purpose and use all CC as my usual e-mail used on the desktop machine.

The new Storm is awesome, time for an upgrade soon!

Comment

Thanks Jo. It is upgrade time again so Vodafone are trying to tempt me. I've lived without mobile email so far but sometimes wish I had access to it. They have the flash Blackberry Storm (touchscreen...mixed reviews) which looks tempting. No Wifi but 3G and 'unlimited' data plan.

Don't know if I'm just being tempted by the flash phone. Other plan is to go to Asda paygo Mobile (vodafone network) at 8p/min and stay in the old world!
          I am due to upgrade in august too, at the mo i've got BB curve on email package only, and funnily enough asda PAYG for calls/text. (i can leave BB at home for time off)

Personally i will be looking for wifi on my upgrade. I want wifi for travelling overseas.

I've got mine set up with a single e-mail address which I use for this sole purpose and use all CC as my usual e-mail used on the desktop machine.
          i forward to gmail for 2 reasons - one - i get a full offsite backup of email i can interrogate from whereever i am. Two - a second spam filter means no spam on BB

Comment

Mobile email is a boon for small businesses - I don't know how I managed without it. But don't make any rash decisions - stay on your current setup for a while longer and give yourself more time with less pressure form their sales.

Comment

as much as i love BB i will need to decide which is best for me

vodafone/bb
              o2/iphone

one gives push email and excellent coverage - the other gives wifi. I want all 3 on one provider

Comment

I don't see the advantage of push. I poll my mail server every 30 minutes whilst out which is enough - I could make it every 5 minutes if I wanted to.

Having wifi on the iPhone is very good with free coverage at most places but the general 3G coverage is not as good (for me at least) as Vodafone.

Comment

Originally posted by pinbrook View Post
                  i forward to gmail for 2 reasons - one - i get a full offsite backup of email i can interrogate from whereever i am. Two - a second spam filter means no spam on BB
                  I do this via GMX to my mobile device to notify me immediately of emails and to run the spam through a second filter service (neglecting the cowboys harvesting from online Actinic files this works very well.)

Bikster
                  SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

as much as i love BB i will need to decide which is best for me

o2/iphone
                    After recent events in the news surrounding Apple and Foxconn, I'll think twice about buying Apple products again, regardless of how cool you will look walkin' down the road with your iPhone telling you where the nearest coffee house is

Comment

So long as your email arrives via a pop account you can set it up yourself on a BB. If it's a corporate email server then you need permission off the IT dept who will probably say no to an enterprise server acct as it "compromises the company's security". Yeah, right.

I have a BB Bold. It has Wifi but that's not the main reason I have it. I could not run my business without it - today I was at the pool and picked up several important emails which otherwise I wouldn't have got for a few hours. The children didn't notice that I was working - they were too busy drowning themselves - so everyone was happy.
                      Reusable Snore Earplugs : Sample Earplugs - Wax Earplugs - Women's Earplugs - Children's Earplugs - Music Earplugs - Sleep Masks

Comment

Thanks!

Yes, it does arrive by a Pop account, into my Outlook. I suppose I'll still want a copy going to Outlook, as most responses will still be created there. I assume that is a common requirement.

Seems like a big thumbs-up for mobile emails and Blackberrys in general.
                        Peter Hayes
                        www.hohobird.com

Comment

Nirvana for me is an iPhone and a hosted MS Exchange email package. Total sync between the phone, PC based Outlook and web based OWA. Not the cheapest option but works out at about £2.50 per day, which is fine in context.

Aquazuro - designer stainless steel accessories

Comment

iPhone/MobileMe user here, does everything I need it to, and yes wifi is essential for overseas.

Comment

I don't see the advantage of push.
                              for me it the overseas thing again. Push on BB doesnt cost me any extra when out of the country, collecting email via 3g would be using roaming minutes which can add up or wifi means going somewhere to collect.

Comment

Working...
                              X