Franking services

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Franking services

I've just about taken enough crap from FP as I can stand, and I was wondering which franking services people here are using and their thoughts on them?

I'm just looking at Royal Mails PPI service, which should negate the cost of purchasing/hiring a franking machine and the associated maintenance contracts that go with it.

And the reason for this?

Today the FP mechanic dropped in to carry out a routine machine check/maintenance. It's been printing a little faint since the last mechanic did the same, but it hadn't got any worse so I decided to leave it as it was. While today's mechanic was giving it the once over, he told me that while the machine we own is old, the model itself is very robust and worth keeping, but at some point in the future the parts would not be available although they currently are.

After pulling the machine apart, he decided it needed new parts which were to be ordered and replaced in a day or two. Fine. He toddles off to the next job. Then I receive a phone call from an FP rep under the impression we need a new machine. No. He then rings off to talk with his boss. Then a member of the FP tech team rings up to say we will need a new machine as one of the parts is no longer available. I tell him the mechanic said all parts were still available for our model...he rings off to talk to his boss.

5 mins later the original mechanic drops back into the office, says he hasn't been kept up to date with the status of parts for the machine, says he will reassemble it and then we can decide what we want to do next. He puts it all back together and...it no longer works. He toddles off home.

Great, this morning we had a working franking machine, now we don't!

So your opinions on other services will be most welcome as my faith in this company is rather jaded right now, cheers.
    Regards,

Nick Churchill
    www.oliverslighting.co.uk
    Olivers Online Shop
    Working within SellerDeck V11

Nick

we still have our Pitney bowes franking machine around (we use it for a few things) but for 99% of our post we use PPI

its blooming easy and if you are sending out a lot of stuff it saves you time (you only need to stick a label on each envelope which you can preprint, count them and weigh the bags if they are not Large letters)

Comment

We got a Pitney bowes franking machine delivered a month ago for a trial, today it's packed up and on it's way home, we never even got to try it because we got a 'free' custom stamp included in the deal and despite our best efforts PB didn't get it set up, they also stopped returning calls - it's a shame really because I would really have like to be able to use it.

Regards,
      Jan Strassen, Mole End Software - Plugins and Reports for Actinic V4 to V11, Sellerdeck V11 to V2018, Sellerdeck Cloud
      Visit our facebook page for the latest news and special offers from Mole End

Top Quality Integrated label paper for Actinic and Sellerdeck
      A4 Paper with one or two peel off labels, free reports available for our customers
      Product Mash for Sellerdeck
      Link to Google Shopping and other channels, increase sales traffic, prices from £29.95
      Multichannel order processing
      Process Actinic, Sellerdeck, Amazon, Ebay, Playtrade orders with a single program, low cost lite version now available from £19.95

Comment

we got a PB franking machine DM50 6 months through a 12month contract we pay £12 a month rental.
        It has worked without problem we use about £500 a month on it.
        The rest of jobs are courier (the bulk)

Wes
        Treasure Island Sweets

Comment

We send out different sized boxes whose weight varies depending on what's included, how much bubble wrap is used and how much void fill is needed. Normally we weigh each wrapped box, check the postal charge for that weight and enter the amount into the franking machine and print the label. I haven't quite worked out how this system works with PPI and the Royal Mail rep I spoke to seemed to answer my question without actually answering my question.
          Regards,

Nick Churchill
          Olivers Online Shop

Comment

Wes, how much is the annual service/insurance contract?
            Regards,

Nick Churchill
            Olivers Online Shop

Comment

We got a Pitney Bowes E726 machine last year and finally got our own logo added to the print earlier this year - must admit it's a nice little addition and can be used for marketing as the print strip can be changed - perhaps XMAS discount codes, etc...

Comment

included in the monthly £12
                they first quoted me £30 a month but i told them it was not viable unless they could get closer to £10 a month.

Plus i had a quote from another franking company so they were keen to undercut them.

wes
                Treasure Island Sweets

Comment

I would say move to Royal Mail PPI. After reading numerous reports of rip-off prices and poor service I decided to keep well clear of Franking Machines as I couldn't see the benefit over PPI and PPI is free and you still get the same pricing.
                  Darren Guppy
                  Golf Tee Warehouse
                  Golf Tees and Golf Accessories.

Comment

SmartStamp is excellent. We got rid of our franking machines ages ago having been shafted by the low lifes in the rental company (one of the biggest in the country) for months, and the quality of presentation and ease of use of SmartStamp is years ahead.

Aquazuro - designer stainless steel accessories

Comment

smartstamp is good, we used it for a few years but the franking worked quicker for us and cheaper cost per stamp
                      wes
                      Treasure Island Sweets

Comment

PPI is quicker and cheaper than Smartstamp.
                        Darren Guppy
                        Golf Tee Warehouse
                        Golf Tees and Golf Accessories.

Comment

I looked into other contracts last year, and found the hidden costs for bloated ink prices etc. really drove the annual cost of running a new franking machine sky high (we own our current one).

One rep I spoke to from franking company 'A', actually rang another franking company 'B' pretending to be me, and asked for a quote on their prices. Company 'B' then rang me, because they had my details on file from a previous conversation, with the quote...which I hadn't asked for. Between us, we eventually worked out that it was this chap from company "A" being underhanded. Nice work, needless to say I told company "A" what I thought of their practices and avoided them like the plague.
                          Regards,

Nick Churchill
                          Olivers Online Shop

Comment

there are a lot of sytems out there and some bad companies, we had two machines on trial, just try a few options out, do your sums and thats all you can do.
                            The first trial machine with one company would not set up, depsite several phone calls. Needles to say it went back!

Idealy i would like a postman to come in for free and collect and stamp the mail!
                            wes
                            Treasure Island Sweets

Comment

Originally posted by wesleythorne View Post
                              Ideally I would like a postman to come in for free and collect and stamp the mail!
                              wes
                              I'd subscribe to that service.
                              Regards,

Nick Churchill
                              Olivers Online Shop

Comment

Working...
                              X