Addthis

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Addthis

Sorry if this is duplicated but there doesn't appear to be a definitive answer for this, I too have 'Addthis' to my site. It does not make the software run slow when editing, but I swear to god it is making my website run as slow as a snail

There is nothing wrong with my server on anything like that at all, but having read the KB for this, it is 4 years old and I'm not totally sure if it remains. Below is the code I have

Can someone guide me out of this - apart from me deleting the lot as it is becoming a nightmare for smartphone access I have to say

Thanks

<!-- AddThis Button BEGIN -->
    <div class="addthis_toolbox addthis_default_style ">
    <a class="addthis_button_facebook_like" fb:like:layout="button_count"></a>
    <a class="addthis_button_tweet"></a>
    <a class="addthis_button_pinterest_pinit"></a>
    <a class="addthis_counter addthis_pill_style"></a>
    </div>
    <script type="text/javascript">var addthis_config = {"data_track_addressbar":true};</script>
    <script type="text/javascript" src="http://s7.addthis.com/js/300/addthis_widget.js#pubid=ra-4ff8501c779a72ed"></script>
    <!-- AddThis Button END -->

I've seen AddThis on many sites and not noticed a drastic slowdown. Check you have added the most up to date code from AddThis. Do you have a link to check a problem page on your website?.
    Peblaco

Comment

As always Louise, you're very good

I don't know if this is what you mean, but doing a page load speed test is like a whopping 9 seconds, then again, I have no idea what the correct site test to use and so it can vary from 4 to 9 seconds - weird is the word I use for this

http://www.doorentryonline.co.uk/aca...l#.Uqs5cbThGSo

Comment

It did take a few seconds to load scripts from AddThis, Facebook, Twitter and Google Plus. By the way, your home page Google Analytics has a well known problem: 'acatalog/.google-analytics.com/ga.js' This is caused by using your own added Google Analytics code, should not be an issue with the default in SD2013, you can find the fix here.
        Peblaco

Comment

I'll do that Louise, but I only uploaded the Google Analytics code last week

Regarding the page load speed, I don't really have a problem with it personally, but if you use a webpage speed tester then it gives not so good results

Using Google speed test, I get a rediculous 21/100 result and like another post, it's tells me to minimise this, that and the other

Comment

This is caused by using your own added Google Analytics code, should not be an issue with the default in SD2013, you can find the fix here.

I've never added my own code, I'd have no idea how to

Comment

The Google code is in the header. The page speed test points out various issues, some you may be able to work on but others may be more difficult to resolve.
              Peblaco

Comment

Now that is blooming interesting, because I can do the images, I can't do the rest at all. But, my old GA was in the footer, but I got the new code from GA and it told me to put it in the head before the end of head tag

Copy the snippet.
                Don’t edit your snippet. Just copy it. You might want to paste it into a text document if you’re worried about accidentally losing or changing the snippet from your clipboard.
                Paste your snippet (unaltered, in it’s entirety) into every web page you want to track. Paste it immediately before the closing </head> tag.
                If your website uses templates to generate pages, enter it just before the closing tag in the file that contains the the <head> section.

Comment

That may be why then, the SellerDeck version fixes the bug with the store folder, putting in the code yourself doesn't use the same code. You can still use the code you added yourself just add the fix linked to above.
                  Peblaco

Comment

Oh..................right, I'll do that then

I like many other people had no idea about this, so I'll just amend the fix and all should be fine with where the GA code is

You are very good

Comment

All your image sizes are way too large. Fortyfive 60x60 images at around 100Kbytes each is ridiculous. 4.5 MBytes of download just for those alone.

These are easily fixed.

Mike
                      -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Hughes View Post
                        All your image sizes are way too large. Fortyfive 60x60 images at around 100Kbytes each is ridiculous. 4.5 MBytes of download just for those alone.

These are easily fixed.

Mike
                        Thanks Mike, I get your point on that totally, I can reduce them. I really do appreciate the direct verbal

Comment

I really do appreciate the direct verbal
                          That's OK. Anytime.

The thing is that 4.5 MBytes on their own will take about 10 seconds at a 4 Mbps download speed. I suspect once the images are sorted you'll find that the add this isn't really the problem.

Mike

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Even if you optimise the product image sizes, bear in mind that full size product images are used for marketing lists - the Best Sellers and New Products in the sidebar and the Also Bought and Recently Viewed in the central area. They are not using small thumbnails, they are using the full sized product images squashed on the screen to look smaller.

So you may want to look at creating thumbnails.
                            Peblaco

Comment

There is a free thumbnail generating script on my website at http://www.bikster.co.uk/acatalog/au...humbnails.html which creates thumbnails copies from the main product image - you can then call this into the marketing lists.

On your site you may also want to look at only loading page specific code - eg the script for the rotating banner on the homepage is being called on all other pages where it is not needed.

Bikster
                              SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Working...
                              X