Search console strange results?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

May be relevant https://www.searchenginejournal.com/...issues/524924/

Support have been investigating my growing thousands of grey unindexed pages to. So far their only advice is to upgrade from 18.12, I fear that is not going to help as Martin I believe is on 18 23.
    https://www.harrisontelescopes.co.uk/

Ed Harrison - Menmuir Scotland

Comment

There seem to be four search type scripts but only two are different between 18.2.2 and 18.2.3
      The 18.2.3 ones are here so you can compare and see if there is any retrofitting that can be done

https://www.graphicz.solutions/1823s...ch.js.1823.txt
      https://www.graphicz.solutions/1823s...pt.pl.1823.txt

Code:
      https://www.graphicz.solutions/1823searchdifferences/actinicsearch.js.1823.txt

https://www.graphicz.solutions/1823searchdifferences/SearchScript.pl.1823.txt
      Jonathan Chappell
      Website Designer
      SellerDeck Website Designer
      Actinic to SellerDeck upgrades
      Graphicz Limited - www.graphicz.co.uk

Comment

Here is an 18.2.2 site with the 18.2.3 actinicsearch.js. and SearchScript.pl dropped in for you to play with and asses. It does not have Sellerdeck.min.js just the component files.

https://www.graphicz.solutions/1823search/index.html

The server it is on is blocked to robots I am afraid
        Jonathan Chappell
        Website Designer

Comment

Originally posted by EdHarrison View Post
          Support have been investigating my growing thousands of grey unindexed pages to. So far their only advice is to upgrade from 18.12, I fear that is not going to help as Martin I believe is on 18 23.
          Ed
          I am on 18.2.2 with no plan to upgrade to 18.2.3 at this time.
          I have not been able to resolve the strange google search console results but noticed today that the grey "not-indexed" pages had reduced slightly 7.69k not-indexed vs 3.82k indexed - so not too bothered about the "not indexed" pages if they are on a reducing trend as all sitemap products listed appear to be properly indexed and appear on search results.
          Not been able to establish why the Google search bots picks up the "not-indexed" pages but I note that quite a few "not-indexed" pages seem to be a combination of .../cgi-bin/ss000001.pl/ & .../ss000001.pl/ script files joined up with a product */html indexed page which I presume is the product page cached with the script page when parsed by the google search bot.
          The script files are not indexed in the sitemap.xml and I do not know why google search bots picks these up so I will raise this on Google Search Central Community and see if I get a meaningful explanation - not hopeful though!
          Martin
          Mantra Audio

Comment

Same here really, I am going to 18.22 and holding there as long as possible.

Mine are roughly running at double the actual indexed page numbers.

Comment

The link provided in #16 does go someway to explain the "not-indexed" issue I am experiencing but stops short of identifying a method to resolve it possibly using blocking parameters via robots.txt but I think Google should take the lead to provide guidance on the methodology to do this as it appears they are aware of the problem.
              Martin
              Mantra Audio

Comment

This is a Swift 18.2.2 demo site with the 18.2.3 search script and actinicsearch. Seems ok. Not blocked by robots. See if this helps your issues?

https://www.graphicz.co.uk/sellerdec...tv2/index.html
                Jonathan Chappell
                Website Designer

Comment

A lot of my grey unindexed pages are pagination links, support gave me a "fix" but unfortunately it did not help, now they are saying upgrading "may" fix it.

I'm not too worried at present as Google only seems to be concerned if it runs into huge numbers that could overwhelm the server, due to bots continually crawling multiple url's.

Comment

Originally posted by EdHarrison View Post
                    A lot of my grey unindexed pages are pagination links, support gave me a "fix" but unfortunately it did not help, now they are saying upgrading "may" fix it.
                    Ed

Just happened to notice the links for Best Sellers on our site include ".../cgi-bin/ss000001.pl?PRODREF=[PRODREF]&NOLOGIN=1" when passed over, however, the intended *.html product page is displayed as intended when clicked.

The Featured Product links on your site are similar.

There are many of our Google Search Console "not-indexed" pages that incorporate the ".../cgi-bin/ss000001.pl?PRODREF.../" in the URL so there could be something in this!

The Featured Products, I have set up are an Addon from Drillpine not developed by Sellerdeck and these point straight to the *.html page for the product intended.

Will flag this up with SD Support..
                    Martin
                    Mantra Audio

Comment

Interesting Martin

Comment

The Featured Products, I have set up are an Addon from Drillpine
                        That is the Upsells plugin...

On 29 March 2023 Norman posted the latest V16 and V18 versions of his Sellerdeck and Actinic E-Commerce, extensions, add-ons and plugins (including many never published). He also published an earlier Add-Ons file containing nearly everything he had done up to around 2020. It was his wish that these files be put somewhere that others can find it so I have posted them here: https://www.graphicz.co.uk/drillpine-norman-rouxell.php
                        Jonathan Chappell
                        Website Designer

Comment

If you have sellerdeck setup to use customer accounts then if I remember correctly all the product page links within the catalog go via the perl scripts so that Sellerdeck can keep track of customers being logged in and presenting the right prices, etc.

This may or may not be relevant on certain sites but it is another case where Google will see additional urls for the same page.

Mike

-----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

I bypassed the cgi link in favour of a direct link some time ago, this does not affect logged in customers and allowed me to add a no-follow to cgi bin links in my robots file. This was a file created by the late and great Norman, now given he did make all his work public I am sure he would be OK with this being available here (it was also initially started on the forum by another member years back so has always been on this forum in one form or another).

First create a layout called DirectLink and populate the layout with the following code:

Code:
                            <actinic:variable name="CatalogURL" /><actinic:block php="true">
                            $dpecmajor = <actinic:variable name="ECMajorVersion" selectable="false" />;
                            $dpispreview = <actinic:variable name="IsPreviewMode" selectable="false" />;
                            include_once "getsectionfilename.php";
                            echo GetProdPageName("<actinic:variable name="ProductID" selectable="false" />");
                            </actinic:block>#<actinic:variable Name="EncodedProductAnchor" />
                            Now copy the code below and name it getsectionfilename with a .php file type (getsectionfilename.php) in your site folder, close and re-start SD.

PHP Code:
                            <?php
                            /***************************************************************
                            * GetSectFileName - A support function for Ref2File
                            ***************************************************************/

function GetSectFileName($sectref)
                            {
                            global 
                            $dpecmajor$dpispreview;
                            $previewprefix $dpispreview 'P_' '';
                            $connect odbc_connect("ActinicCatalog" $dpecmajor,"","");
                            $query "SELECT [sPageName] FROM [Catalog Section] WHERE [nSectionID]=".$sectref."";
                            $result odbc_exec($connect$query);
                            while(
                            odbc_fetch_row($result)){
                            $url odbc_result($result1);
                            }
                            odbc_close($connect);
                            return 
                            $previewprefix $url;
                            }

* GetProdPageName - Return Product Page FIleName if it exists - else Section File Name
                            function GetProdPageName($prodrefs)
                            {
                            global 
                            $dpecmajor$dpispreview;
                            $previewprefix $dpispreview 'P_' '';
                            $prodrefs str_replace("{","",$prodrefs);
                            $prodrefs str_replace("}","",$prodrefs);
                            $connect odbc_connect("ActinicCatalog" $dpecmajor"""");
                            $query "SELECT nParentSectionID, bGenerateSingleProductPage, sSingleProductPageName FROM [product] WHERE [Product Reference]='".$prodrefs."'";
                            while(
                            $parentid odbc_result($result1);
                            $hasproductpage odbc_result($result2);
                            $productpagename odbc_result($result3);
                            }
                            odbc_close($connect);
                            if ( 
                            $hasproductpage ) return $previewprefix $productpagename;
                            return 
                            GetSectFileName($parentid);
                            }

* GetProdParent - A support function for Ref2File
                            function GetProdParent($prodrefs)
                            {
                            global 
                            $dpecmajor$dpispreview;
                            $prodrefs str_replace("{","",$prodrefs);
                            $prodrefs str_replace("}","",$prodrefs);
                            $query "SELECT [nParentSectionID] FROM [product] WHERE [Product Reference]='".$prodrefs."'";
                            while(
                            }
                            odbc_close($connect);
                            return 
                            $parentid;
                            }

* GetSectParent- A support function for Ref2File
                            function GetSectParent($sectrefs)
                            {
                            global 
                            $dpecmajor$dpispreview;
                            $sectrefs str_replace("{","",$sectrefs);
                            $sectrefs str_replace("}","",$sectrefs);
                            $query "SELECT [nParentSectionID] FROM [Catalog section] WHERE [nSectionID]=".$sectrefs."";
                            while(
                            }
                            odbc_close($connect);
                            return 
                            $parentid;
                            }

* Ref2file - Use Actinic's pwn database, to convert a prod ref, to a filename
                            * @param int $ref the product reference.
                            * @author Gabriel Crowe + NormanRouxel 08 September 2007
                            * usage example:
                            <a href="<actinic:variable name="CatalogURL" /><actinic:block php="true">echo Ref2file("<actinic:variable Name="ProductReference" />");</actinic:block>">Link Text</a>

function Ref2File($ref) {
                            return 
                            GetSectFileName(GetProdParent($ref));
                            }
                            function 
                            Ref2ParentFile($ref) {
                            return 
                            GetSectFileName(GetSectParent(GetProdParent($ref)));
                            }
                            ?>
                            In any layouts that use cgi links (Best sellers, marketing, also viewed etc) replace the contents of your <a ref=""> tags (normally a couple, one surrounds the image and the other for the product title, you may have a third if you have a button in the layout, all will need to be changed for the new DirectLink layout) in the layouts eg.:

<a href="<actinic:variable name="SearchCGIURL" />?PRODREF=<actinic:variable name="ProductID" />&amp;NOLOGIN=1<actinic:block if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22IsHostMode%22%20%2f%3e" >&amp;SHOP=<actinic:variable name="ShopID" /></actinic:block>">

With the "DirectLink" layout so it look like this:

<a href="<actinic:variable name="DirectLink" />">

This creates a static link rather than one that goes through the cgi bin. (take a look at my homepage, the best seller slider uses the cgi bypass and the links are static .html as are all my also bought lists etc): https://www.hookandloopfasteners.co.uk

The above was built from forum posts years back, Norman kindly simplified it and made it a user friendly patch that is unaffected by upgrades and requires no script changes.

As always backup first!
                            Many Thanks
                            Lee
                            www.mdnsupplies.co.uk
                            www.hookandloopfasteners.co.uk

Comment

See https://community.sellerdeck.com/for...487#post557487 above...
                              Jonathan Chappell
                              Website Designer

Comment

Hi Lee.
                                It's very good thank you.
                                I have implemented it on a test site for Ed and we'll see what he thinks.
                                It doesn't work for section links but I guess they are not as important for SEO as product links? Is that the case? Thank you.
                                Best wishes
                                Jonathan
                                Jonathan Chappell
                                Website Designer

Comment

Working...
                                X