2018 Can't Change SmtpPort

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Published, still smtp failure

I have published the site on SD 2018, but still getting the same smtp error. The settings were exactly as on SD 2016. I had to untick sftp as that caused an error. I have even created a new smtp account with Sendgrid and entered the settings for that in SD but still same error message. All other settings in SD have remained the same.

The main related thing that appears to have changed between SD2016 and SD2018 is putting the SmtpPort settings in SmtpLibrary.pm instead of the previous Actinic.pm and TestSettings.pl.

Any suggestions?

Comment

There's a lot more than just the port settings involved. There is a HUGE difference between tho old code that did SMTP and what's now in use in SD 2018.

For example I cannot get test sites using 1&1 servers to send emails via Sendgrid (even with the port changes). Same sites send email fine from my local Apache server running on a PC here. My 1&1 sites are test sites only so I've not looked into this further.
      Norman - www.drillpine.biz
      Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Not good news

Knowing how expert you are, Norman, if it doesn't work for you it will not work for me! I am awaiting a call back from Sellerdeck Support about this.

Good job the only site I have upgraded to SD 2018 so far is one that gets about one order every 3 months, so useful as a guinea pig.

Sarah

Comment

No luck so far

I have tried firstly my Sendgrid settings as in SD2016, with port 2525, tried 1and1's smtp settings with port 25 and port 587, tried mrvnet.kundenserver.de which used to work several years ago, port 25, and tried localhost, with and without password stuff, and changing ports in two places in SmtpLibrary.pm each time, and publishing site between each change. As well as doing Test in network settings, I have also tried sending email, as sometimes apparently the emails work though not when tested.

Any other ideas?

Sarah

Comment

Are you getting any error messages in your error log?
            -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

I've tested SD2018 SMTP on SellerDeck hosting..... it works.

Although secure SMTP doesn't.
              Elysium:Online - Official Accredited SellerDeck Partner
              SellerDeck Design, Build, Hosting & Promotion
              Based in rural Northants

Comment

Error Log

Hello Mike. Yes, the error log is extremely lengthy. All my attempts come up in it - unable to make smtp connection etc. Support have my snapshot so they can see this. They have had it since Wednesday.

Sarah

Comment

1and1 host

Hello Andrew. The site in question is hosted by 1and1. It works fine in SD2016, so the only change is SD2018, not 1and1.

Sarah

Comment

When we were on 1and1, for every major update we used to have to make a script change (SendMail fix from Normal)

see here for some links: https://community.sellerdeck.com/showpost.php?p=355998

Not sure whether v18 changes have affected this fix...

Comment

Perhaps a few other 1&1 / Sendgrid users could comment on whether SMTP emails are working for them on SD 2018.
                      Norman - www.drillpine.biz
                      Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

I am pretty sure that the fix would be different for SD2018. Sellerdeck have a new file called SmtpLibrary.pm which is quite different. We didn't need to use Norman's fix before SD2018. I just had to remember to change the ports in Actinic.pm and TestSettings.pl previously when upgrading, but these have been replaced by SmtpLibrary.pm, in which I have changed the ports.

Has anybody managed to set up smtp in Web Settings successfully, site hosted by 1and1?

Sarah

Comment

Worse Problem than smtp

My main reason for wanting to upgrade this site to SD2018 was to get the option for sftp, when applying an ssl certificate. I found with some of my other sites hosted by 1and1 that when applying the certificate the site would not upload as they also upgraded it to sftp at the same time, and SD before 2018 did not support it. I had to them transfer to another host (Host-It). As SD2018 has the sftp option, this was a chance for me to upgrade the site needing an ssl certificate. 1and1 applied it this afternoon. The site will now not upload at all "ftp error" to port 21/22. I tried the previous settings and also the new settings given by 1and1 which is a different server name, Port 22 rather than 21, and ticking SFTP. Both get the same error message immediately. I am now no further forth that before SD2018. Looks like I will have to transfer this domain and hosting, and another needing an ssl certificate, to another host, with the down time this will cause.

Sarah

Comment

It's a fairly obvious bug in the sellerdeck code but took me a while to work out what they're doing and where the problem was.

Selleredeck have a declaration for the smtp port but then don't use it anywhere.

Here's the code that doesn't work. Line 482 in SmtpLibrary.pm

Code:
                            my $smtp = Net::SMTP->new($smtp_host, Debug => $debug, Timeout => $nTimeout, Domain => PF_INET);
                            Whereas what does work is if you add in the Port declaration.

Code:
                            my $smtp = Net::SMTP->new($smtp_host, Debug => $debug, Timeout => $nTimeout, Domain => PF_INET, Port => $nPort);
                            Tested and working with Sendgrid using $nPort = 2525; It send the emails and passes the network test.

I haven't bothered with the second port declaration but it looks like the same thing is happening there.

Mike

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Great stuff Mike

Thank you Mike. I shall try that as soon as I can.

Shame that I cannot upload at all now, as 1and1 have applied the ssl certificate this afternoon, updating me to sftp at the same time, and their new settings for this, and also the previous settings, are not working - immediate ftp failure port 21/port22 - new settings are a change of host name (previous was domain name), port 22 instead of 21, and tick sftp

Sarah

Comment

Now sorted

I have carried out Mike's instructions for correcting SD's error in SmtpLibrary.pm, and have also sorted the network settings for SD2018. It would appear that SD's meaning of sftp is not the same as 1and1's sftp, but both called sftp!! To get it to work, I used the new sftp host name supplied by 1and1, but not their port 22 and SFTP, so leaving the port in SD as 21 and unticking SFTP, the only change from SD2016 being the host name. Very, very odd.

Sarah

Comment

Working...
                                X