Crash on Exit and Print Packing List!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crash on Exit and Print Packing List!

I described the Print error in this thread: http://community.sellerdeck.com/showthread.php?t=55385 and have followed the advice given but still have the same behaviour which I have now noticed extends to a crash/freeze when going File|Exit. The only way to exit successfully is to go Housekeeping|Compact databases. Otherwise the program seems to work fine.

I should say I am only getting this behaviour when I import a snapshot from my work desktop PC to my laptop and try using that when travelling.

Any ideas anyone?

When you import a snapshot to different machine (such as a laptop) then the chances are that most of the default settings will be wrong. The kind of thing I'm thinking of is printer settings, save snapshot on exit, that kind of thing.

What are you doing to avoid these kind of problems after importing the snapshot?

Mike
    -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Originally posted by Mike Hughes View Post
      When you import a snapshot to different machine (such as a laptop) then the chances are that most of the default settings will be wrong. The kind of thing I'm thinking of is printer settings, save snapshot on exit, that kind of thing.

What are you doing to avoid these kind of problems after importing the snapshot?

Mike
      Hi Mike and thanks for replying, well to be honest until now I haven't given it any thought at all when importing!

I generally print to .pdf so provided there's an appropriate printer driver then everything should work ok.

One other clue is that since I have a multi site version, I have been able to log into another of my sites and the problems I have been experiencing on Site 1 do not occur on these other Sellerdeck sites so for whatever reason it is this imported Site that I am having the problems with....

Comment

I generally print to .pdf so provided there's an appropriate printer driver then everything should work ok.
        It's worth checking what printer the snapshot was using before import as if the same printer isn't installed on the laptop then this could crash sellerdeck if you try and print without selecting the new printer.

I'd also check whether this particular site has some kind of automatic backup selected on exit. It might be trying to backup to an invalid path and crashing because of that. (or because the site path might be different so all the images etc aren't where it's expecting them.

The other thing I think might cause problems would be the registry settings. I don't know how sellerdeck multi-site copes with imported snapshots in the registry so it might be worth doing something like switching sites after importing the snapshot to see if that might force it to create the correct registry settings.

I'd also compare the various settings in the sites file to ensure they're consistent across the two computers.

I don't know if any of these are likely to be the problem or even potentially a problem or not. Just trying to think of what kind of thing might be causing the problem.

Mike

Comment

OK so this is how I fixed it!

I made a snapshot then deleted Site1 by going to File|Sites, logging into another site, then Deleting Site1 from there. Then Licensed a new site called Site1 and imported the previously made Snapshot into it - voila all my troubles went away. I still don't know what was causing it but I don't care now!

Comment

Excellent. It sounds like you found a way to force sellerdeck to create a new and proper set of registry settings.

Mike

Comment

Working...
            X