No announcement yet.

css tableless design

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ive not played with ie7 yet - I will check it out, thanks Chris.

Comment

Please note that IE7 sometimes seems to have a negative effect on the preview in v7 - this is because we use an IE plug-in to do the in-built preview and IE7 loads a DLL into your PC that Actinic has trouble working with. We are investigating this now to get to the bottom of it.

Comment

I've done some research and it looks like IE7 has a page zoom feature, which will resize all text, so it soon won't really matter whether your text is in pixels or relative. Hurrah
        If you look below the zoom option you will see that the text size option from ie6 is still there, the ie7 help file says:

"You can make webpages easier to read by changing the text size. If you change the text size, graphics and controls will remain in their original size but the text size will change."

As you say zoom will increase the size of everything but changing the text size only is the way I expect most people in improve thier ability to read the text. Also high res monitors are becoming the norm and a fixed width page designed for 800x600 with 9px text looks very odd as well. people are buying bigger screens to get a better view of websites but on an absolute sized website they may have well have stuck with thier old CRT 12".

I like to build sites for the user ie they can change things like the text and that are fluid so they fill whatever resolution screen is being used.

So back to the original question and is it possible to have relative sized text with v8 on the dropdowns.

I see that the forum uses relative text as does the microsoft website - if its good enought for MS then its good enough for me!!
        Last edited by RuralWeb; 11-Jul-2006, 08:30 AM. Reason: examples

Comment

W3C says that webpages that use css should "degrade gracefully" if the css is disabled or not used. ie7 now makes the option of turning off css easy, I have just checked the Exec theme with css disabled and it is a mess!

Designing sites with css is going to be the way ahead but I dont think we are there yet - I have seen some very strange sites (big boy sites) with layers all over the place. I think I will stick to tables for a while yet

Comment

is it possible to have relative sized text with v8 on the dropdowns.
            Well I may be making progress The variables are editable so you can enter relative sized font but it would be nice to have it on the dropdowns in addition to px font sizes.

Also nice to see that the text wraps round the product image as it resizes
            Last edited by RuralWeb; 11-Jul-2006, 08:41 PM. Reason: addition

Comment

Basically, the thinking behind the two files is
              'Actinic Stylesheet' is styles for general design items that can be used in any theme
              'theme.css' contains style information to help the design work with teh images that cone with a particular theme
              Any inline styles are for making sure a specific overall page layout works correctly.
              Any chance or combining themes.css and inline css this will give us cleaner code.

I don't think any designer is going to be happy with inline css, shopinaboxer will make messy code as they don't know its there

having to look for styles in 3 places is not cool

Comment

Originally posted by pinbrook
                having to look for styles in 3 places is not cool
                Especially when the inline code is found in the "edit appearance" box and not shown as traditional HTML / XHTML

Bikster
                SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Originally posted by RuralWeb
                  I have just checked the Exec theme with css disabled and it is a mess!
                  The only real solution is to design the outer layer from the ground up with this in mind - disabling CSS on a CSS layout will always cause issues but if done correctly should still be accessible and be navigatable (is that a word?) ... header tags should nest properly, links should be readable etc.

With the use of floated divs and absolute / relative positioning it is possible to create a site that will degrade without CSS (or of the user has an old Netscape browser) but this is a real investment of time ... and skill

Bikster

Comment

Jo - I've removed all but the essential CSS classes from the <head> section and put them in the main 'Actinic Stylesheet' layout.

The essential classes are generally just to do with line spacing and body heights etc.

Comment

Thanks Chris, I'm waiting for the next beta release before I hit the design side of beta again.

Comment

Do we know when the next Beta is anticipated for release?

Bikster

Comment

Do we know when the next Beta is anticipated for release?
                          Soon

You should be hearing from us next week.

Comment

Working...
                          X