Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SMTP server error !!!!

I typed correct information for SMTP server in network setting

I can upload and shopping cart is working , but 1 issue remains.

SMTP server: smtp.coffeerosexpress.com
    username: valentinerose@coffeerosexpress.com
    password:********

Result is

serverassed
    connection: failed
    sockets: passed
    communications:failed
    authorisation: failed

I tried Contact US and send form, but it said

" Unable to connect to the mail socket (Permission denied)

Please wait for your browser to forward you to the next page or click here. "

I configured outlook, and I can receive email and send email from outlook without problem. so what is problem?????? WHY????
    Attached Files

I have a similar problem: I'm trying to publish my first actinic site. All of the ftp settings work fine and the site has been uploaded but the smtp refuses to make a connection. I run a Webfusion VPS on Linux. I've been advised by their support that 'localhost' should work fine without authentication but i get this message:

The computer you specified as your mail server is not a valid mail (SMTP) server. etc
    Server: passed
    Connection: passed
    Sockets: passed
    Communications: failed
    Authorisation: failed
    Message: SMTP Authorisation is not supported by this server!

HELP ANYONE!
    Richard Gosler
    Phoenix Digital Media Ltd
    Dorset, UK

Comment

Try unchecking "Username and Password Required" in Web / Network Setup.
      Norman - www.drillpine.biz
      Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

"Try unchecking "Username and Password Required" in Web / Network Setup."

It was unchecked. If I change the SMTP server to mail.winesandhampers.co.uk (which I was reliably informed they their support also should work) and use authentication i get this message:

The computer you specified as your mail server is not a valid mail (SMTP) server. etc
        Server: passed
        Connection: passed
        Sockets: passed
        Communications: failed
        Authorisation: passed
        Richard Gosler
        Dorset, UK

Comment

Morning all.
          What a coincidence - I am configuring Actinic for the first time and uploading my first test site and have been getting exactly the same problems.
          I've tried everything suggested in other threads about using "localhost", checking and unchecking the authentication box, using various imaginable variations on the theme of *****.calamander.co.uk as the smtp server details, but still no joy.
          The error I get is usually (but not always) 'invalid smtp server name'.

Some pointers in the right direction would be most appreciated as I'm going off my trolley with frustration at what would appear to be something so simple!

Cheers
          Sean
          Kind Regards
          Sean Williams

Calamander Ltd

Comment

Welcome Sean.

If you tell us who your hosting providers are (and whether you're using Windows / Linux, etc) there may be someone else here already using them who will know what you need.

Comment

Personally, I'm running a Web Fusion VPS on a linux platform. The control front end is Plesk 7.5

Version: psa v7.5.4_build75050824.12 os_FedoraCore 2
              smtp: qmail
              Richard Gosler
              Dorset, UK

Comment

Originally posted by pixelhaus
                Personally, I'm running a Web Fusion VPS on a linux platform. The control front end is Plesk 7.5

Version: psa v7.5.4_build75050824.12 os_FedoraCore 2
                smtp: qmail
                Might be worth searching the forum for both 'plesk' and webfusion' there have been a lot of posts in the past about both.

Comment

Originally posted by NormanRouxel
                  Welcome Sean.

If you tell us who your hosting providers are (and whether you're using Windows / Linux, etc) there may be someone else here already using them who will know what you need.
                  Hi Norman
                  we use a small outfit: http://www.icdonline.net/ - a small business, with personal service, but sadly not brilliant at helping out with this sort of thing - I appear to be the first person trying to use Actinic on their servers.
                  I use XP professional SP2 and fully updated; I think they are Windows based servers.

The reason for doing a test site right now is my annual subscription with ICDonline is due for renewal on Monday and if I can't get it to work, I'll probably jump ship to Zen or someone (I have a 'reseller' account as we have several different websites and it works out much cheaper), although I'd prefer not to.

Cheers
                  Sean
                  Kind Regards
                  Sean Williams

Calamander Ltd

Comment

Looking at the icd website the only hosting they advertise is windows.

Thus I would recommend you find another host - 2 reasons -

your current host has 2 whammys to hit you with one being a windows environment and two, no actinic experience.

Whilst it is possible to run actinic on a windows server you do require expertise (either your own or your hosting company's) you appear to have neither (sorry if I misjudge your own expertise)

thus to simplify your life, find yourself a host (probably Zen) who has experience in hosting actinic, preferably unix if you have no other apps that require a windows environment.

Comment

Further testing: I ran a telnet session and that confirmed that the SMTP was functioning OK. Now if I enter 'localhost' without authorisation, the following is returned....
                      server: passed
                      connection: passed
                      sockets: passed
                      communications: failed
                      authorisation: failed
                      message: SMTP authorisation is not supported by this server!

Now despite my settings not requiring username/password it seems like Actinic 8 is trying to authorise it and that is why it is not working correctly. Could anyone corroborate this ?
                      Richard Gosler
                      Dorset, UK

Comment

Note that when you run a telnet (presumably on port 25) or use e.g. Outlook Express on your PC you are connecting from your PC to the SMTP server.

When Actinic sends email it is sending them from a Perl script running on your server.

So whatever testing externally does, may not mean that local Perl script running on the server can do the same.

You need to find out from your hosts if you can connect to a SMTP server from locally running Perl scripts.

Comment

If I upload and test out the 'contact us' form for example, i get this message:

Error returned from SMTP server (4: sorry, no mailbox here by that name. (#5.7.17) )

Does that mean anything to anyone?
                          Richard Gosler
                          Dorset, UK

Comment

You can do a search on any search engine for SMTP error 5.7.17 and get loads of information to help you.
                            Bill
                            www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
                            Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
                            BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
                            Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
                            VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
                            Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

Are you running any Anti Virus software? I had these problems with the localhost setting in actinic and traced it to the active scanner in BitDefender. Best bet is to totally shutdown all other software running in the tray and running some tests making it as easy for Actinic to communicate as poss. EG all firewalls down including router walls.

It's worth noting that virtually everyone using actinic uses the localhost setting for smtp so if your host has advised you that it should work then i'd imagine other actinic users are utilising this on their servers.

Comment

Working...
                              X