automatic shutdown?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

automatic shutdown?

Finally have made some time free to start dabbling with V8 - must say I like it (famous last words)
    One feature that I've come across, which I haven't seen mention of anywhere else, nor mention in the help, is my A8 seems to close itself down after a prolonged period of non-use.
    At first I blamed the cat, thinking it had run across the keyboard in my absense, and shut the program down, but its happened several times since.
    To clarify, I come back to the PC after say an hour of non-use, and A8 has closed itself (any other running apps still happily there).
    Is this a security feature?
    Do I have a ghost?
    or what?

Martin K (located: North London)

Ive had it numerous times so the tab on the taskbar disappears, yet it is still open, ive had it crash and open up internet checkers and ive had it fail to open one day and open perfectly the next, BUT i have never had it shut itself down - you have a ghost because the cat could not select to exit without backup also.

Comment

I have it that when I first run actinic, it doesnt appear. I have to minimise all my other apps before it shows up. Only once I click on the actinic screen does the app appear in my task bar.

Paul.

Comment

Well this appears - I happily work away - then I wander off - have a coffee etc - come back, and the prog is no longer open, and needs restarting, and logging in again.

The cat is awfully sneaky (or annoyingly cute, depending upon my mood), but like you say, he ain't that clever!

I'm perplexed.

Well, enough for one night - having started rewriting my first A8 template from scratch, and completed my first bit of css (taking on Act8, css and photoshop in one learning curve..) - learning how clever css is, and how annoying the lack of cross browser compatability is - its time to turn in.

Answers to the mysterious ghostly Actinic self-close on a postcard please

Comment

Like Lee says, I've had it appear to close down but in actual fact it is still open but the tab has disappeared from the task bar at the bottom of the screen. Next time this happens, best bet is to hold down the Alt key, then the Tab key on your keyboard and see if the icon is still there. Alternatively, press Ctrl, Alt and Delete then choose Task Manager. Once thats open, click the Processes tab and scroll down the list to see if it includes Catalog.exe
          Tacklebargains.co.uk

Located: Cheshire, UK

Comment

Originally posted by PaulGrimshaw
            I have it that when I first run actinic, it doesnt appear. I have to minimise all my other apps before it shows up. Only once I click on the actinic screen does the app appear in my task bar.

Paul.
            I freqently have the same issue as this Paul.
            I don't generally leave Actinic open for long periods when not using it so I've never seen it 'disapper' but I'd be interested to hear if it really closed or just doesn't show on the task bar.

Comment

If its a case of a hidden taskbar tab, surely then it shouldn't allow me to restart the program again when I double click the A8 shortcut icon (it would simply pop up from its hidden state). I definately restart it, rather than reactivate a taskbar tab, get the log in screen, and have to enter my Admin password.

I'm fairly sure you shouldn't be able to open 2 instances of A8 at the same time.
              Anyways, I'll give it a alt-ctrl-del next time it happens, and see its the prog is actually still running, as this seems to be the consensus.

As this hasn't happened to the rest of you, paranoia is setting in
              Maybe I'm just getting over tired (excitement of playing with the new toy etc), and am closing the prog down myself when I pop off for a break, and forgetting that I've done it!

Thanks anyway guys.

Comment

Martin, if you are using Multi User, then it has a time out ability option within the Users area, so assuming you have Multi User, take a look in there and you should see the option of timescale available to you.

Do not have access to one right now, but know it exists in MU.

Not seen it in standard or MS versions that I can recall.

Comment

BINGO!

Yes, I have multi-user, and yup, found the timeout - was set at 30mins.

This information, along with the default log-in name for first time-users, is missing from any user manuals I have read.

Many thanks for that - I'm not going mad after all, and the cat can have his toys back

Comment

Glad your sanity is now restored

Comment

Glad I searched for this and found it. I've seen Acting going into stand buy mode and it gives you something like a 10 second warning.

As the default was set to 30m ive changed it to 200

Folk

Comment

Working...
                      X