Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Misiing Search results and Results Display

Hi,

I have a new site up and running www.duck-artshop.com (through some great help from this community) but I have strange search issue.

I sell Pop Art Prints and when I search for a particular Artist - "Sexton Ming" I get no results showing, although he is clearly there in the catalogue.

I have set up the art for this artist in the same way as the others but only this artist is not showing in my search results. i.e. no unique coding/layouts.

I cannot find anything similar problems by search through previous threads.

Also, can anyone tell me how to stop my search results page scrolling and displaying from the bottom of the page rather than the top of the page? Search on "Cauty" for example.

Finally, any feedback on the site would be most welcome.

Any thoughts?

If you have only just added the new section for Art & Artists it might be worth trying a complete Web Refresh rather than update.
    Jane Davies
    www.asplash.com

Comment

Hi Jane,

The "Art by Artists" section has always been there. I've tried several "refreshes" to no avail. To be honest it was not something I noticed until the site went live.

Comment

Very strange, do you think it might be something to do with safe browsing settings - I cant get the search results on Sexton Ming to work, but I wonder if non networked browsers get different results?
        Jane Davies
        www.asplash.com

Comment

Doesnt work for me either - strange.

Change the existing sections name, then create a new section and paste the products over and upload, see if that refreshes it.

Comment

Yes very odd... I cant see any difference compared with the sections that do work. "Add All Parent Section Content to Product Text when Indexing" in search settings must be checked otherwise the other products wouldn’t be indexed.

Its worth trying what Lee said or even trying a "Compact Database" in the Housekeeping menu (select catalog) then Refresh the web site.

Let us know how you get on.
            Regards,

Toby Blanchard

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for the advice.

I'm just working through copying things over to a new section.

In the meantime I'd tried ticking the "Add all parent section contents..." and compacting the database and refreshing it. This had the effect of listing all items for anything searched. So I've gone back to unchecking this box.

Comment

Okay, I've now created a new section, copied the items over into it, and deleted the old section. I've compacted and refreshed and the problem is still there.

Any other thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by grady
                  I'm just working through copying things over to a new section.
                  Excuse my ignorance, but this sounds like it was a mammoth task, to create a new section and move the products into it is a 60 second job? Can i ask what you did.

This is a weird problem for sure and i am intrigued. Have you tried including the products into a section that does seem to work and see what happens?

Can i suggest also creating one of the products from scratch and putting that in a brand new section, upload and see what happens then.

Also try renaming the artist to be pigton ming or something without a dubious word within and then try seraching for that instead of the real name.

These may be useless ideas, but its hard to come up with anything concrete to be honest.

Comment

For anyone better at reading things than me, a failing search for the section creates this url:

Code:
                    http://www.duck-artshop.com/cgi/ss000002.pl?RANDOM=NETQUOTEVAR%3ARANDOM&PAGE=SEARCH&SS=sexton+ming&TB=A&PR=-1&GB=A
                    a successful one does this:

Code:
                    http://www.duck-artshop.com/cgi/ss000002.pl?page=search&PR=-1&TB=A&SS=jamie+reid

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for the help. Looks like I've solved it (there were only 6 products by Sexton Ming so it was fairly quick to copy over).

The search seems to work on the product description only, and the Artist's name was not in the description.

The sections/sub-sections/fragments do not seem to be searched, which is where the Artist's name was. Is this normal?

Also, do you have any thoughts on stopping the search results scrolling to the bottom of the page? Try searching "cauty" to see what I mean.

Comment

The search input is being highlighted on page load, so will always position to the text entry element of the search page.

Go into the design mode and bring up the search page, and click on the search input box and you will see the java script code which does this.

Comment

The page doesn't seem to land on the text entry part of the search, it always seems to display the page upwards from the bottom part of the search page before the text entry bit.

Can I get it to not scroll down at all? i.e. just leave me at the top of the page.

Also, is it possible to search the text in fragments?

Comment

I would guess at this being due to your product reference anchors being in the wrong place within your template. Move them alongside the product short description line and it should be ok then.

Comment

From what you said, this is when the results page is shown right? Not the product page, so go into the design side of the search page and locate the java script which has an onload event (I think it is) and remove that code, as it is this which is pulling the page down we found.

Wont hurt to try it - might be happy with the results

Comment

Working...
                              X