V8 Sitemap Format

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

V8 Sitemap Format

Has anyone managed to get the horrid looking sitemap to look any better?

In V7 it used to look great, in V8 i think it's horrible.

Gracias.

Lee,

Agreed, it's horrendous. I have used arrow images of varying lengths to format it slightly differently and, whilst not ideal, I think is much better, looks like this:-

http://www.sportswarehouse.co.uk/acatalog/sitemap.html

I would still prefer to be able to use <ul> and <li> but this seems impossible at the moment, although I suspect Norman's PHP menu system could be adapted to reformat the sitemap! Nudge nudge, hint hint!
    Cheers

David
    Located in Edinburgh UK

http://twitter.com/mcfinster

Comment

Clever trick David, i actually quite like the look of that, nice and neat.

I would add a hover state (colour change on the link) though, easier and more user friendly. Definitely the best V8 sitemap ive seen to date - nice one!

Cheers

Comment

Oops, there should be a hover, never noticed that. Just uploading corrected stylesheet.

Cheers Lee!
        Cheers

David
        Located in Edinburgh UK

Comment

I suspect Norman's PHP menu system could be adapted to reformat the sitemap
          I think I've already posted how to do this recently.
          Norman - www.drillpine.biz
          Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

To be able to carry on using the <UL> <LI> method which we all used to use in v7 and prior, use the SectionLevel variable, which we found (cant find it right now), but place conditions based on level of section above with openning UL and then below with condition for closing UL and that does the trick, which is what was used on www.twoleftfeet.co.uk.

Sorry can not find the exact variables right now, but that was the easiest way we could find to achieve the same as pre v8.

Comment

Ahah. Found my post. See http://community.actinic.com/showthread.php?t=24497 where my post #7 recreates the old style Site Map.
              Norman - www.drillpine.biz
              Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Norman,

Think I did read that post but only got so far with it. It's fairly easy to wrap the <ul> in SectionLevel variables and to close them afterwards, but no matter how hard I tried I could not get them to close in the right place if the list was nested (and using ListIndex if I remember rightly), as we would require on the Site Map. I probably wasn't following it properly. If someone could point me in the right direction I'm happy to see what I can come up with.
                Cheers

David
                Located in Edinburgh UK

Comment

I tell a total untruth, never read or noticed that post before!!! Much profuse apologies, works like a wee charm.

Thanks once again Norman!
                  Cheers

David
                  Located in Edinburgh UK

Comment

Found what we did, which allows for 7 deep section depths, which covered our needs, and does away with JS.

This we put into the Site Map Section Link, so above the <LI> blah blah </LI> we had:

<actinic:block if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22SectionLevelIsGreaterThan1%22%20%2f%3e"><ul></actinic:block>
                    <actinic:block if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22SectionLevelIsGreaterThan2%22%20%2f%3e"><ul></actinic:block>
                    <actinic:block if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22SectionLevelIsGreaterThan3%22%20%2f%3e"><ul></actinic:block>
                    <actinic:block if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22SectionLevelIsGreaterThan4%22%20%2f%3e"><ul></actinic:block>
                    <actinic:block if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22SectionLevelIsGreaterThan5%22%20%2f%3e"><ul></actinic:block>
                    <actinic:block if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22SectionLevelIsGreaterThan6%22%20%2f%3e"><ul></actinic:block>
                    <actinic:block if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22SectionLevelIsGreaterThan7%22%20%2f%3e"><ul></actinic:block>

and then below that <LI> skhfkj </LI>

<actinic:block if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22SectionLevelIsGreaterThan1%22%20%2f%3e"></ul></actinic:block>
                    <actinic:block if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22SectionLevelIsGreaterThan2%22%20%2f%3e"></ul></actinic:block>
                    <actinic:block if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22SectionLevelIsGreaterThan3%22%20%2f%3e"></ul></actinic:block>
                    <actinic:block if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22SectionLevelIsGreaterThan4%22%20%2f%3e"></ul></actinic:block>
                    <actinic:block if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22SectionLevelIsGreaterThan5%22%20%2f%3e"></ul></actinic:block>
                    <actinic:block if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22SectionLevelIsGreaterThan6%22%20%2f%3e"></ul></actinic:block>
                    <actinic:block if="%3cactinic%3avariable%20name%3d%22SectionLevelIsGreaterThan7%22%20%2f%3e"></ul></actinic:block>

to ensure they were closed off properly.

Not as short as the JS version maybe and more fixed, but does away with the JS need of the browser.

Another solution to it.

Comment

Just a thought....

When you have a catalog with over 5k products, is there any benefit to the user via the site map as it stands?

We are currently concentrating on beefing up the search result layout and section controls using some conditional coding and variable placements. (Due for dev testing next week)

In our humble opinion, we think that over a certain amount, the site map just becomes unusable for humans (ok for bots tho so keep referring to it on your pages ) ...(pops on hard hat and runs for cover)
                      Affordable solutions for busy professionals.
                      Website Maintenance | UK Web Hosting

Comment

The sitemap list is very handy - I have used this recently as a main left hand navigation and styled with CSS to group each parent and their child sub-section into categories in distinct boxes ... all using lovely <a> tags for SEO.

This is one of the great benefits of v8 in-so-much-as you can use layouts designed specifically for one thing (such as the sitemap) but you can hack to use as something completely different ... often limited only by imagination / cunning (and a little luck at time )

Bikster
                        SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Are you double posting Lee???

Comment

Are you going mad?

Comment

v8 Sitemap Format

Has anyone managed to remove the vertical gaps between the Section Links in the v8 style sitemap?

I am trying to loosely replicate our old v7 sitemap, as currently used at:

http://www.molesseeds.co.uk/acatalog/sitemap.html

but I cannot remove the vertical gaps, please see:

http://www.dev.molesseedsltd.co.uk/a...g/sitemap.html

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                              X