Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

V8 Stock Control Clarification

Hi everyone,

I have just finished developing a site on behalf of another agency and their client keeps coming back with slight tweaks. One point that was raised lent itself to stock control.

I have implimented all their products with stock control and have set up hidden stock control dependant products, with choices linking through to component permuatations of the relevant product.

The stock warning functionality is activated below 3 and the product is disabled below 1.

The issue the client raised was that if he has 5 items in stock online and he orders 6 items online then the software will allow him to do so. Whereas if he has no items in stock then the 'not allowed message appears' and bounces them back. Does actinic only work on a true / false scenario? If items are in stock (regardless of how many) = true, allow users to buy. IF no items are in stock = false, show the bounce page.

I did speak to Tech Support about this and the response was this:
    " This is unfortunately the way actinic works as it is not an online database. Even though the stock levels, min and warn quantities are entered into the software, it will still only becomes effective when the order is downloaded, this will means that customers will be able to order large quantities to the cart; it will only suspend the products after a download followed by an upload."
    What is the point of offering stock control if it only work on the clients machine and not online.

Am I wrong? If anybody out there has an answer, I'd love to hear from them.
    Regards.

Lee Jackson
    Creative Director

Centurius Design & Marketing
    Centurius Website
    Portfolio of Work

Stock is only updated online after a download and upload. Mole-End has a product called one-stop automation (http://www.mole-end.biz/acatalog/One...tion.html#aOSA ) that will allow you to automatically download and upload at frequent intervals that will help.

Sorry - I don't know if the stock level is checked on quantity or true/false.

Comment

Thanks for getting back to me. The client already has this software. What I dont understand is does the site not have the stock numbers assigned to products online? I take it the site has no way of knowing that it has only 5 products online therefore if a user buys 6 should the software cannot restrict them.

Maybe I am not understanding this correctly
      Regards.

Lee Jackson
      Creative Director

Centurius Website
      Portfolio of Work

Comment

Each time you upload, you can firs re-set the current actual stock to the physical stock. This will stop any one customer from ordering more than the physical stock.

Let's say customer A orders 3. Unfortunately, until you do a download orders / upload stock cycle - the software does not know there is a pending order for 3, so customer B comes along and orders 4 - Actinic will accept the order.
        Bill
        www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
        Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
        BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
        Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
        VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
        Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

Bill I understand what you are saying but...

My client uses Mole-End Automation so when an order comes in the site is automatically uploaded with the new stock amount.

The bottom line is if you have 3 items in stock on your computer system in the office and you upload this to the website, when a customer comes along and orders 4 items, what should happen? Should the site refuse the order beacuse it realises it does not have that many or will it allow the order regardless?
          Regards.

Lee Jackson
          Creative Director

Centurius Website
          Portfolio of Work

Comment

If you are on v8.5.1 see thread 'My Brain Hurts' - Bruce posted a repair script for min/max functionality.
            Bill
            www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
            Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
            BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
            Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
            VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
            Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

I believe the fix Bill mentions is only needed for components.

Unless I'm mistaken there is an option in the mole end stuff to set the 'max allowed quantity' to be the same as the stock available. Unless this is set Actinic stock control is purely an available/unavailable switch.

Mike
              -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by olderscot
                I believe the fix Bill mentions is only needed for components.
                Yes..associated products actually.

Originally posted by olderscot
                Unless I'm mistaken there is an option in the mole end stuff to set the 'max allowed quantity' to be the same as the stock available. Unless this is set Actinic stock control is purely an available/unavailable switch.

Mike
                I've been thinking about this. Having always (pretty much!) used the stock control mole and so always had my max qty figures set for me, I've never thought about it much but, if you have the max qty set to zero...does it allow more to be ordered than is in stock?
                Tracey

Comment

Ever think that Actinic seriously need to take a look at how stock control is nigh impossible...?
                  Football Heaven

For all kinds of football souvenirs and memorabilia.

Comment

I personally think Actinic should look into a way to put SOME of the database online, and keep the rest offline... so that when an upload takes place it also generates a MySQL file that is upploaded along with the rest of the store. As the final part of the upload process, Actinic could then call some l'il php scriptamajig to process this... then a live stock control script could be put into effect.
                    Cheers!
                    Marci - <a href="http://www.Over-Clock.co.uk" target="_blank">www.Over-Clock.co.uk</a>

Comment

Originally posted by Marci
                      I personally think Actinic should look into a way to put SOME of the database online, and keep the rest offline... so that when an upload takes place it also generates a MySQL file that is upploaded along with the rest of the store. As the final part of the upload process, Actinic could then call some l'il php scriptamajig to process this... then a live stock control script could be put into effect.
                      Absolutely - and similarly with single use coupons and customer accounts - I'm hoping that is what we will see added in V9.

Comment

Working...
                      X