No announcement yet.

V8 problems

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It does sound a right mess to be honest. Such a simple process made so complicated and difficult. I'm not sure what to suggest, take yourself into the middle of a big hedge or bush and scream would be my best advice.

Good luck, hope you haven't paid him/her.

Comment

My suggestions in post 16 would be the best way forward.

Comment

Originally posted by leehack
        It does sound a right mess to be honest. Such a simple process made so complicated and difficult. I'm not sure what to suggest, take yourself into the middle of a big hedge or bush and scream would be my best advice.

Good luck, hope you haven't paid him/her.

Er...Thanks for the slagging guys....NOT

What happened here was very simple.

I originally developed the site for the lady using the latest version which I downloaded at the time. We do not usually use Actinic but needed to on this occasion because of a specific need the lady had. She paid me to develop a site in the latest version of the software at the time, which I duly did.

Originally I was managing the site for her and all was fine. However she now wishes to take over the mangement for herself. This of course means that she needs to load the site onto software which she can have on her machine....and downloading now gives her v8.5.1.

So one of us, either her or me, has to update the site onto the latest version.

It would seem that the best option is for me to download and install 8.5.1 but I have been reluctant to do this so far cos at least as we are I can continue to manage the site without errors.

Once I install the latest software I am going to have the same errors as she has and the site will not be manageable until these are resolved.

Steve

Comment

You need two machines.

On one, you continue to 'manage' the site in it's existing incarnation, while you upgrade/rebuild the site into 8.5.1 HFUA on the other.

One of the machines *can* be virtual.

Perhaps you should sub-contract future Actinic work to someone who is prepared to maintain multiple setups to accommodate and service their clients.
          Bill
          www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
          Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
          BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
          Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
          VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
          Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

Originally posted by jont
            The designer purchased the software 28th February 2007 http://community.actinic.com/showpos...72&postcount=2 .. don't recall the exact patch release dates but should have been well beyond 8.0.0.0.0.0 GMVA

So

1. Why was 8.0.0.0.0 released so full of bugs!!! Why did the fixing of these bugs render all sites built with previous versions essentially obsolete. This is pretty appalling version control in my view.

2. Why was I not told at the time of purchase that there was a new release which it was essential I installed as the version I had downloaded to evaluate was "full of bugs".

But all that aside, lets cut through the crap....if I download 8.5.1 am I going to be able to take the existing site and upgrade it ?

or must I rebuild the site from scratch?

I have walked through, with tracey, the process of taking a snapshot of the site and then importing it into the latest version of the software on her computer. The result seems to me to be fundamentally corrupted in that her cart no longer works properly and her store sections are no longer showing.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by wasSteve
              if I download 8.5.1 am I going to be able to take the existing site and upgrade it ?
              Yes. You can keep the products, layouts, orders etc and upgrade to the latest version. There is obviously something awry with one of the layouts .. once you have this into the same version as the client it is a case of nailing the errant layout and resetting back to factory default... the cart in particular is very easily broken by even the most innocuous of changes.

Bikster
              SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Wouldn't an interim solution be for Sue to install the older version, import the snapshot, and have a working site right away- with a buggier software, but one that works for you ok for this site - and she can upgrade to the latest version if she wishes. The only other option seems to be to employ someone to upgrade the snapshot, which means more money spent.

Regards,
                Jan Strassen, Mole End Software - Plugins and Reports for Actinic V4 to V11, Sellerdeck V11 to V2018, Sellerdeck Cloud
                Visit our facebook page for the latest news and special offers from Mole End

Top Quality Integrated label paper for Actinic and Sellerdeck
                A4 Paper with one or two peel off labels, free reports available for our customers
                Product Mash for Sellerdeck
                Link to Google Shopping and other channels, increase sales traffic, prices from £29.95
                Multichannel order processing
                Process Actinic, Sellerdeck, Amazon, Ebay, Playtrade orders with a single program, low cost lite version now available from £19.95

Comment

Working...
                X