Xp or Vista?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Xp or Vista?

I know the general consensus in the past has been to opt for XP rather than Vista. Is this still the case?

I am looking for a new desktop to upgrade to V9 Business Multi-site when the next release is out and all the ones that I fancy seem to be Vista only.

Are there still a lot of issues with Vista or has this settled down since V8?

I have also seen downgrade discs taking Vista back to XP, has any one tried this, is this a solution?

Any help would be appreciated.

Kind regards

Jason
    Regards

Jason

Titan Jewellery (Swift Design)
    Zirconium Rings
    Damascus Steel Rings

Whilst actinic will run on Vista the consensus of vista v XP is that in general the preferred OS for business is still XP.

Personally i have no intention of ever using Vista. I am waiting for MS's next offering and if that proves it worth i shall go from XP to it and completely bypass vista.

if you are looking for a new PC/laptop then any busiess retailler should still be able to supply XP. I'd still look for a XP build rather than an XP downgrade. For the home market you can'y buy anything except Vista unless you opt for Mac/Linux then of course you have to use a winows emuator.

In short i beleive there are still issues with multuser on vista - there are threads that talk about the DB needing to be on XP still - so more research is required.

Comment

I bought a new expensive HP workstation this week, it comes with Vista business and XP downgrade, the interesting thing is that HP put XP as the default OS and you have to downgrade to Vista

Like Jan, I've got no intention of ever touching Vista , it just seems to be a massive bloatware type OS, so much more of the memory etc is just used to give you prettyness rather than giving us the stuff we really need

Comment

Vista SP2 has resolved many of the early issues experienced. Even so, for a business environment XP is the sensible choice - there is enough to do running a company without battling with your OS on top.

Bikster
        SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

from a business point of view you want the most stable system from the two

so there is no contest (XP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

we got a new PC ther other day and the most important deciding factor was XP (and ofcourse then price )

Comment

Originally posted by completerookie View Post

Like Jan,

LOL
            Hopefully, Jo will forgive you that one as it's early on a Sunday morning!

I agree with the masses. when I've been buying new, I head for whereever can give me XP (be it Dell or independants)

Mind you, I'm betting Darren will be along in a minute telling us that he doesn't having any problems running Vista on his computers
            Tracey

Comment

Originally posted by TraceyHand View Post
              Mind you, I'm betting Darren will be along in a minute telling us that he doesn't having any problems running Vista on his computers
              Followed by Gabe who has installed Vista onto his Dick Tracey watch!!

Bikster
              SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

And checking his orders online with ActiWatch....

Comment

Hopefully, Jo will forgive you
                  ok, ok, the print was too small when I viewed it on the watch and made a mistake !

Comment

sadly, the dick tracey watch had nowhere near enough free space to install vista. also, i havent got the install dvd anymore. I cut it into tiny pieces and consumed it in a fit of rage.

Comment

Originally posted by gabrielcrowe View Post
                      also, i havent got the install dvd anymore. I cut it into tiny pieces and consumed it in a fit of rage.
                      That deserves a visit from the microsoft police / anger councillor, but could also give you a mention for a goat point
                      Chris Ashdown

Comment

do we still do goat points?

Comment

I've a few clients and a pc of my own running vista with actinic and it all works well. I've not seen any problems that can be attributed to vista.

Comment

If you use a lot of networked PC's go Vista. The networking is far, far superior. XP can be a pig on a LAN. In fact, I've just binned XP on our order PC because it keeps losing its network places, going invisible, refusing to print etc. at random intervals.

For stability, no question Vista is more stable. Yes, it needs a fast processor, pref dual core and it needs a good chunk of RAM, at least 2GB. Then, it's as good as XP at everything and better at a lot more.
                            Blank DVD
                            Cloth Nappies

Comment

See i never mentioned a thing well not 1st anyway

The only thing i will say about vista is, when you need certain ports to be open and you need to use it more along the lines of a server system then stay away from it, for a home user point of view or SOHO enviroment then its ideal. As said the networking functions are far better than XP

this thread is worth a look for anyone that has inttermitant vista email and browser issues. http://community.actinic.com/showthread.php?t=37941

D

Comment

Working...
                              X