No announcement yet.

Sorry, another speed issue thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The fact is that v9 will never be as fast as v7. v7 diddnt have half the jumble in it that v9 has.

your best bet would be to go through your templates and find out what structures are eating up your render time. This will only help for your preview, and editing of templates however, and also generation time, before your site is uploaded.

For benchmarking your pages, try this:
    http://community.actinic.com/showthread.php?t=36968

additionally, the speed of your machine is not so important as the speed of its harddrive, and the amount and speed of ram.

During runtime, actinic shuffles a LOT of gubbins around (and i could be done better, are you listening ActTowers?). Try to ensure that at least 2 gb of VERY fast ram is installed.

Other avenues you could follow, include, exporting your products to a default templated catalog and see if that makes a difference and also trying it on a computer with ONLY actinic installed and running on it.

good luck feller.

Comment

Originally posted by WILKO92 View Post

Looks like I am going to have to plunge my hand firmly into pocket!

Is there any preference on OS?
      I will be wanting to network the new machine with others using XP other than that, whatever works Actinic the quickest would be the choice.
      Most will say XP, this can still be brought with new systems, Dell are giving you both, xp installed with the vista upgrade included.

I run Vista, but you need to know the quirks and work arounds it is fine for me but some struggle with it.

Comment

2 GIG OF THE FASTEST RAM YOUR MOTHERBOARD WILL TAKE WILL SORT NOT JUST ACTINIC BUT EVERTHING ELSE YOU DO
        get a raptor hard drive [ 10000rpm ] if you are doing any more upgrades
        stick with xp for now
        kaspersky antivirus will protect your machine the best without hogging resources
        make sure no one uses any instant messenger programs on the same machine as they are tools of the devil

Comment

Originally posted by cityslicker View Post
          2 GIG OF THE FASTEST RAM YOUR MOTHERBOARD WILL TAKE WILL SORT NOT JUST ACTINIC BUT EVERTHING ELSE YOU DO
          get a raptor hard drive [ 10000rpm ] if you are doing any more upgrades
          stick with xp for now
          kaspersky antivirus will protect your machine the best without hogging resources
          make sure no one uses any instant messenger programs on the same machine as they are tools of the devil
          No, (eset) nod32 is the least demanding of all the viral scanning mechanisms, and the best.

I agree with your MSN/Skype/AIM/Pidgin idea. Delete them, even.

Comment

Many thanks,

I shall have a look around later.

I take it there is nothing that can be done about the hidden prods search thing.
            Graham

www.Briggsbits.co.uk
            The online store for Briggs and Stratton spare parts

Comment

Sorted!

Just to let you know, after the painful business of plunging hands deep into jangling pockets I now have;

Core 2 Duel
              4gb Ram
              512 graphics
              etc. etc. all in a shiny, quieter new box
              Only XP, Actinic, office & acrobat installed and nothing set to run in the background other than ESET security.

The new products and paste operations that were taking 30+ seconds are now down to around 10. Everything else is instant.
              Speed is no longer an issue .

One side effect though is that keep dropping off in front of the screen due to the apparent lack of caffene, now that I no longer have long delays in which to make and drink coffee.

thanks for your help.
              Graham

www.Briggsbits.co.uk
              The online store for Briggs and Stratton spare parts

Comment

One side effect though is that keep dropping off in front of the screen due to the apparent lack of caffene, now that I no longer have long delays in which to make and drink coffee.
                hahaha, excellent.

drink tea, its slow release caffene

Comment

Working...
                X