Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by webgirl View Post
    We dont know-we only pay for 1gb and they have not charged us any extra
    There either really nice, or it's an oversight and a nice bill will be in the post shortly...

Army Gore-tex
    Winter Climbing Mitts
    webD's Blog: Website design, SEO and other ramblings…
    Twitter LinkedIN

If you think a post is good, rate it!

Find the answers in the Knowledge Base | Have you read the User Guides

Comment

Originally posted by Darren B View Post
      What sort of bandwidth are you using, you mention multiple sites, poor performance could be down to the server spec and site hosted on the the share server e.t.c
      check

Looks like about 3.8 gb per site on the v8 sites , maybe more on some of the older v7 sites.

We have 8 main sites ( 4v7 and 4 v8) and about 10 smaller sites some v7 and v8, and some none actinic

We have each site hosted individually on shared server which now seems a bit silly thinking about it

Comment

Originally posted by DenbighArmySurp View Post
        There either really nice, or it's an oversight and a nice bill will be in the post shortly...
        Hope its the first one,

Katie

Comment

Definately sounds like an administrative oversite unfortunately you have brought it to there attention now.

Perhaps its more to prevent large sites abusing the bandwidth, they might be fine with the overall bandwidth used across the other sites.

Comment

or you could have been throttled which would explain the slow page serve.

if you are prepared to pay for dedicated hosting this is as close as you will get to 100%, being on your own server means it is less likely the server will go down (downtime is often caused by misbehaviour by other sites on shared servers)

If you want more info on dedicated - please PM me.

We've got new DS deals inc 100gb, 24/7 phone for server downtime reporting, and free online backup. SLA 99.9%

don't forget 99.9% still means 9.25 hours of downtime over 12 months

Comment

Originally posted by Darren B View Post
              Definately sounds like an administrative oversite unfortunately you have brought it to there attention now.

Perhaps its more to prevent large sites abusing the bandwidth, they might be fine with the overall bandwidth used across the other sites.
              I think we have been abusing the bandwidth across all the sites without realiseing

Katie

Comment

Originally posted by pinbrook View Post
                or you could have been throttled which would explain the slow page serve.

if you are prepared to pay for dedicated hosting this is as close as you will get to 100%, being on your own server means it is less likely the server will go down (downtime is often caused by misbehaviour by other sites on shared servers)

If you want more info on dedicated - please PM me.

We've got new DS deals inc 100gb, 24/7 phone for server downtime reporting, and free online backup. SLA 99.9%

I think this is what we need-would like more info

Sorry to be slow Jo , what does PM you mean ?

We have multiple sites which I guess we could host on one server

Katie

Comment

Originally posted by webgirl View Post
                  what does PM you mean ?
                  PM=Private Mail (off forum)

Comment

Originally posted by completerookie View Post
                    PM=Private Mail (off forum)
                    Although Jo's profile doesn't offer PM - you'll have to visit her website & use [Contact Us] instead.

doh!
                    Paul
                    Flower-Stands.co.uk - the UK's largest online supplier of Fresh Flower Merchandising Stands

Using V10.2 with Norman's brilliantly simple TABBER.

Comment

This is true, and weekend still only makes it around 99.5%

% always make it look better over the year, and of course i guess it also depends on how you run the year, if you have no down time for a 12 month period then thats 100% do you count the 1st down time as the start or the end of the year.

IMHO these figures are purely sales tools and are manipulated as such. Lets be honest if someone digs up your cable, or an important switch go's down its not uncommon for the host to claim that your servers were still up and that was beyond there control and still claim the best uptime. Technically your server is still up just the link in the middle is broke.

As i said this is all MHO and i know others will see this differently.

Comment

Quick update- we have taken new products and best sellers off bottom of pages until we have resolved the slow loading and this seems to have helped speed the load time up a little.

We are pretty sure now it is our servers as we have today transferred one site (not one of the ones above) to a new server and it uploaded instantly which was a huge relief.

Were just not looking forward to the down time while we transfer servers

Our current server provision seems to cope with the equivalent v7 sites but not with the v8 sites -is this a common experience that v8 takes more bandwidth or have we just been unlucky ?

Its been a very long day-hope I'm using right terminology
                        Katie

Comment

The problems you are experiencing all seem server related - not version 7 or 8 related. Perhaps your v7 sites are hosted on different servers with your host.

Did you check if they were throttling you due to over using the allotted bandwidth though?

I would suggest you find a host your happy with, then plan to change them all over.

Comment

The images in V8 best sellers could possibly causes a slight difference.

As for down time between transfers, have you not been provided with a temporary url to upload you site to until the name changes transfer. This allows for people view your site with no down time, you can suspend ordering on your live site, make the name changes and then your customers can shop on you new site, via the temp url, which is actually the same physical space as the live url.

But i hope things go well.

Comment

You might want to consider this @

http://community.actinic.com/showthread.php?t=36968

This will tell you how long it took for the server to deliver the page. Might help.
                              Elysium:Online - Official Accredited SellerDeck Partner
                              SellerDeck Design, Build, Hosting & Promotion
                              Based in rural Northants

Comment

provided with a temporary url to upload you site to until the name changes transfer. This allows for people view your site with no down time,
                                Only if people know what the temp URL is - which is very unlikely.

additionally you would still need to reupload using the correct urls in NS as the cgi links will be incorrect

temp URLs are only really useful to test on

Comment

Working...
                                X