Page load times awful-please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pinbrook View Post
    Only if people know what the temp URL is - which is very unlikely.

additionally you would still need to reupload using the correct urls in NS as the cgi links will be incorrect

temp URLs are only really useful to test on
    This depends on the host configuration

http://www.kitesrus.co.uk/ is exactly the same as http://mail.dfsv45.com/~kitesrus/

you can buy on either url and it requires no configuration changes after the ns records have transfered, an update to the actinic netwrok settings back to the perminant url is all that is required.

My point was that if your host allows this then you minimise down time whilst the ns changes take effect, you can also get everything in place before you make these changes.

Comment

Using a temp URL during dns propagation is only useful in as far as it allows the site to be uploaded ahead of propagation, BUT it does have several flaws

1 a 2nd upload is requred to the live URL post propagation
      2 no-one will know the temp url
      3 if you have hardcoded nav the site will dance all over the place
      4 whilst it is a fully functioning site, it normally won't be able to take orders as PSPs will be looking for the live domain not the temp URL - thus depending on where the PSP finds the DNS can result in varying failures.

IMO to say using a temp URL elimates downtime can be misleading it can only reduce or minimise

Comment

I never said it eliminates i said minimise
        I also said a second upload was required

Hardcoded nav's are fine providing they are not full url's but i take your point
        With regards the PSP's from the call back point of view, this could be a problem but i have found if call backs fail they can arrive at a later date, however the order can still be placed. But this depends on the PSP used and orders may arrive in actinic as pending PSP

The temp url is not required to be known. As i said if you suspend the ordering on the live site this just becomes site people can view but not order, as some people see the dns changes they will arrive at the new site, this site will be functioning site for placing orders.

sometimes the client who makes the ns changes do not see these for some 12 to 24 hours, if you dont have a temp url then there site is down for this complete period as they cant upload until these changes have been seen.

The method i have mentioned will reduce this time and some customers will be able to shop on the new site within a few hours, because their dns servers have picked the changes up before some others.

As always there are more ways than one to skin a cat, i was merely offering this as a possibility. I know it works on my hosting as myself and number of clients have done this already.

Comment

Upload on to new server problem-orders gone back to 1

Hi Guys & Girls,

We have uploaded another site onto new server but the order number of first order off the new server has gone back to 1-any idea why this has happened and can we avoid it on the other sites

It is going to make our customer services more complicated-currently we know immmediately which site the order has come from from the order numbers

We have been very lucky so far-the downtime so far on the sites has only been about 6 hours so we have done it over night-we are doing 1 site each night

Kind regards,
          Kate

Comment

Originally posted by pinbrook View Post
            temp URLs are only really useful to test on

I couldn't disagree more!

I would NEVER move to a host who couldn't offer me a temporary URL to upload to pre-propagation.

Different ISPs update new nameserver changes at different rates and I don't want ANYONE coming across NOTHING when they visit my sites.

It's not perfect, agreed. You need to change your network settings back to the true domain ones, once it's fully changed over. You will also need to upload.
            So what?
            IMO, that's infinitely better than any potential downtime, especially when I know that some ISPs can take over 24 hours to update completely where some take a couple of hours.

If a customers ISP changes in 2 hours and mine hasn't, what then?
            They go elsewhere and I don't get chance to upload for hours yet!
            Not good enough.

Granted, you can't update both sites easily but, unless stock control is hugely important, I don't see the problem with this (my stock control IS hugely important but I'd still choose to do it over having potentially hours of 'downtime')
            If you're worried about temporary domain links being picked up and indexed, put a robots.txt in temporarily til the changeover is completed.

I don't honestly see why anyone could think it's NOT important to have the site there 'in advance' of full propagation.
            I would never move to a host that couldn't allow me to do this (For the record, both 4sure (Technoweb) and Tame the Web DO allow this)

Like I said, just my opinion (I'm being opinionated today )
            Tracey

Comment

You can use Help | Troubleshooting to update the order number online.

Look at the Actinic Help for details on how to use it.
              Elysium:Online - Official Accredited SellerDeck Partner
              SellerDeck Design, Build, Hosting & Promotion
              Based in rural Northants

Comment

Originally posted by webgirl View Post
                Hi Guys & Girls,

We have uploaded another site onto new server but the order number of first order off the new server has gone back to 1-any idea why this has happened and can we avoid it on the other sites

It is going to make our customer services more complicated-currently we know immmediately which site the order has come from from the order numbers

We have been very lucky so far-the downtime so far on the sites has only been about 6 hours so we have done it over night-we are doing 1 site each night

Kind regards,
                Kate
                The order numbering is a file on the server, this has reset because its a new server and these files do not exist, Follow andy's recommendations.

With reagrds 6 hours, that was not bad but remember, it was 6 hours for you not for everyone. As Tracey pointed out some people could be looking at a blank site before this time and some will still be looking at your old site after this time.

Sorry if i may have confused you but NS changes are not an exact science, The reasons i offer this method is because from and Actinic users point of view this was important to me, maybe some hosts dont see this as such an important issue.

It's a bit like one of my clients wanted a shared SSL we never offered it, but to them it was important, so i made some server configuration changes, did some testing to check it works and now i offer this as a free add on.

Hope your speed issues have improved with the move though and best of luck with the other sites.

Comment

Originally posted by Darren B View Post
                  Hope your speed issues have improved with the move though and best of luck with the other sites.
                  Thanks Darren the new server has made a huge difference on the sites we have done

We did this one www.valuemed.co.uk over weekend

Going to do some more tonight

We have edited line 6209 on the orderscript.pl so we can identify which site order has come from (picked this up from searching threads )

katie

Comment

Working...
                  X