No announcement yet.

Insert Layout kills Actinic

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Removing the MOTO should be an installation option like buying a PC with Vista and XP Pro .... Vista looks nice.... XP works... you can't have both!

Bikster
    SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Originally posted by leehack View Post
      This area is getting worse. I have a client who is having images nuked off his server for no reason
      Ah, this old one. This occasionally happens to me, which is why a Sunday has been transformed to 'Planned Site Refresh Day'.
      and every snapshot he does comes up as 0 bytes despite a successful message and over 50 snapshots having been done my end successfully before being handed over.
      I'd never had one of those until yesterday when support needed a snapshot for the aforementioned 'Insert Layout' issue - and all of a sudden, it happened. The snapshot straight after it worked fine though I didn't know if it was the onions in the restaurant or not

Comment

This area is getting worse.
        It is very flaky. As a designer it does not instill a lot of confidence using default proceedures - I now have to work around these issues to ensure the stack of cards remains standing upon handover.

Bikster

Comment

Lee - cheers for the email BTW - will reply back this evening when back to base.

Bikster

Comment

Originally posted by grantglendinnin View Post
            I didn't know if it was the onions in the restaurant or not
            Were they red or white onions? v7 shallots are dull but a good all-rounder.

Bikster

Comment

That part is bad but I find the explanations to a client who has just spent around 1k on software the hardest. How do you explain it's been flakey for 3 years and never been fixed yet? To be fair, most are understanding and realise it's not me at all, but it doesn't look good, I hate explaining crap like that. It's all at the wrong time when people should be getting excited about their sites, not climbing greased poles just to get a core function working.

Comment

We have all known that design snapshots have never worked so I'm amazed that people are still trying to use them tbh.

With v9 snapshots now failing it's almost at the stage where as a designer the software is unworkable and as a store owner the safe feeling snapshots once gave has gone.

The whole problem with v9 snapshots was highlighted soon after v9 was released and needs to be sorted as a priority IMO. If it's not fixed then actinic will have an rbs on it's hands

Comment

I think it needs escalating to highest priority also now, my client it turns out has not had one successful snapshot since he received the site off me, despite the software reporting all is well and operating normally, even sales coming in too (image nuking aside). I'd like to point out that not once (almost 50 made) did I ever have a snapshot problem with this site my end, and nor did I ever suffer an image nuked off the server in what must have been at least 100 uploads during testing.

Since passed to my client via snapshot, no snapshot has been taken successfully and images have been getting nuked off the server on a periodic basis. How can you account for that? Even stranger is that no server information changed, client was still using the same test domain of mine that I had been.

Whenever we worked with Actinic, we always understood it could be a bit flaky here and there (all software is) and we understand sometimes things went titsup, sometimes our fault, sometimes theirs. What we always had was a snapshot to roll back to, I have not worried in this area for years, I loved snapshots, no matter what happened to you, if you had been prepared you always had a get out.

With V9 we are not only walking a tight rope, but our safety net (the snapshot) has had a load of human size holes cut into it. I love the speedy uploads in 903, they are superb, the MOTO form when it works is a great addition, the rest of it i'd love rolled back to 8.5.3, where my time was not eaten up on such basic areas. I have literally lost days on V9, all out of my own pocket.

Enough is enough, this isn't a cheap shot, this is a user and designer at his wits end with both lost time and problems using this software.

Comment

It's interesting the the people responsible for the banking fiasco and this both have names begining with G

Comment

That part is bad but I find the explanations to a client who has just spent around 1k on software the hardest.
                      This is truly galling - there is only so much of "oh its Actinic - thats what happens" clients will stand for - and at the back of their mind thinking it was the designer that has cocked things up.

Bikster

Comment

Originally posted by RuralWeb View Post
                        With v9 snapshots now failing it's almost at the stage where as a designer the software is unworkable and as a store owner the safe feeling snapshots once gave has gone.
                        I am now experiencing issues backing ACD's up to sticks and external drives

Bikster

Comment

Originally posted by jont View Post
                          I am now experiencing issues backing ACD's up to sticks and external drives
                          Sorry Jont - Actinic already know about this one

Comment

Behave yourself - as if I would ACD direct to a stick

These are to the hard drive and then to the stick / external drives (different drives & sticks with same result)

Thankfully (tempting fate) not had to roll back the main site in a while now!

Bikster

Comment

Originally posted by jont View Post
                              Behave yourself - as if I would ACD direct to a stick

These are to the hard drive and then to the stick / external drives (different drives & sticks with same result)

Thankfully (tempting fate) not had to roll back the main site in a while now!
                              Better not be one of those 16gb memory sticks for £2.99 with £16 carriage on eBay, direct from Hong Kong where every file is 0bytes

IMO Actinic should have an external compiler which would allow you to right click the ACD file, and 'Extract To...' - much in the same way Windows deals with a Zip file. This way when a particular file corrupts, it can easily be reverted back by simply extracting that single file - no more wasting a weeks work after finding you have to revert to an old snapshot because you never noticed your checkout script was corrupt

Comment

They sent me the 20Gb version for the same prices as out of stock

Bikster

Comment

Working...
                                X