Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Could buggy Actinic be caused by non Intel processor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Could buggy Actinic be caused by non Intel processor?

I have a client who was on V8 and is now on V9 (9.0.3) but her installation has always proved to be buggy, crashing at odd times and some features not working properly. I have had no problems with it on my machine and had no similar incidents reported. To the best of my knowledge, the pc is clean of viruses and malware, but the only other variable I can think of is the processor. The pc in question is running: AMD Semperon 3100+ 1.81GHz 2GB RAM. Windows XP Home 2002 SP3.

I'd be interested to know if anyone else has had problems and is using this processor.
    Richard Gosler
    Phoenix Digital Media Ltd
    Dorset, UK

Originally posted by pixelhaus View Post
    the only other variable I can think of is the processor.
    sorry, but i can think of billions of differences, and i'v never even seen your machine.

your machines are running windows, and probably different builds and patch levels at that. the variation between installs is plenty, for example, one of your machines could have a ram error, or a hard drive issue.

your motherboard and bus archtectures are different, becasue you have different cpu sockets. this alone is difference.

its more likely that your crashes are due to some software problem than a hardwareproblem. try running memtest++ on both systems, and see what ram errors you can dig up. and try scanning the hard drive with some other utility than the free one you get with windblows.

try a fresh install of windows on the problem system together with a *clean* *new* template to test for issues in actinic. does it still error?

Comment

I realise there is an exciting world out there of conflicting software/drivers etc etc, but i'm interested if anyone has had problems and they happened to have them with a Sempron based machine. I had an AMD 486 (oh, sooo long ago) that had some interesting quirks with Photoshop (V2.5.1 how long ago was that!) that disappeared on changing to an Intel processor.
      Richard Gosler
      Dorset, UK

Comment

I have a client who was on V8 and is now on V9 (9.0.3) but her installation has always proved to be buggy, crashing at odd times and some features not working properly. I have had no problems with it on my machine and had no similar incidents reported. To the best of my knowledge, the pc is clean of viruses and malware, but the only other variable I can think of is the processor. The pc in question is running: AMD Semperon 3100+ 1.81GHz 2GB RAM. Windows XP Home 2002 SP3.

I'd be interested to know if anyone else has had problems and is using this processor.
        Are you running XP Home on your machine, XP Pro and XP home are not the same software.

Malcolm

SellerDeck Accredited Partner,
        SellerDeck 2016 Extensions, and
        Custom Packages

Comment

It's unlikely to be the processor model. I have one Sempron system that I heavily use for testing Actinic and it must have 100+ sites on it.

Far more likely to be a crufty Windows installation. Or, if machine crashes or hangs frequently, crappy hardware. Only a bare-metal reinstall of Windows and all applications will tell.

If the hardware is at all suspect then replace it. Hardware is cheap and hassle is expensive.
          Norman - www.drillpine.biz
          Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

I can't be specific about the sempron, but I use an Athlon 2800+ with no problems. Win XP SP3.

If you want to investigate further it might be worth discussing which features aren't working properly on the clients machine. It could well be something else.

Mike
            -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by NormanRouxel View Post
              Far more likely to be a crufty Windows installation.
              I had to google that word!
              Tracey

Comment

Cruft - hilariously documented on http://www.ddj.com/architect/184405140

Comment

Cruft - hilariously documented on http://www.ddj.com/architect/184405140
                  Brilliant , I didn't realise Verity was still around

Malcolm

Custom Packages

Comment

That's a 2002 article but she still contributes to The Register and was last there on Christmas eve. Pity she's not on this forum.

Comment

That's a 2002 article but she still contributes to The Register and was last there on Christmas eve. Pity she's not on this forum.
                      I remember looking forward to her articles in the 80's / 90's I think it was in EXE but I may be having a senior moment.

Malcolm

Custom Packages

Comment

Amongst the various things that fowl up on this possibly 'crufty' pc are:

Cannot clear shipped orders from the pending tab
                        The 'find' function within Actinic does not work
                        Crashes frequently when mailing out
                        Richard Gosler
                        Dorset, UK

Comment

Amongst the various things that fowl up on this possibly 'crufty' pc are:

Cannot clear shipped orders from the pending tab
                          The 'find' function within Actinic does not work
                          Crashes frequently when mailing out
                          My Intel Core 2 Duo T9400-based laptop must be developing schizophrenia, as it has these symptoms too. Alternatively, it could just be faults in the software

Comment

The clear shipped orders has been mentioned more than once, i take you have read the post on the forum about causes of this?

Comment

Silly question but assume you have done a clean installation and reimported snapshot?
                              Chris Ashdown

Comment

Working...
                              X