Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Actinic slows to a halt for the first time in ages.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Have you tried it with Duncans code round it? I found that worked fine and I've uploaded it to my site and so far so good.

Not gonna waste any more time wondering why the button suddenly stopped working on its own, as I've lost 2 days on this and the code sorts it. Have put the code round all the others too.
    Helen
    www.postapresent.co.uk
    Gifts by Post & Giftwrapping Service

Comment

Ok, I'll put the code back in with the block thingy and report back. Takes ages to generate and then upload but suppose we'd best get a final solution.

I'll report back soon.
      Football Heaven

For all kinds of football souvenirs and memorabilia.

Comment

Don't forget to put the block around any javascript references in the header that may be sourced off-site as well.

Comment

Ok, catalog with addme code added with block thingy works fine (even with preview pages showing). Sites just uploading now.

So, if everything is ay-okay after this it means that... a) the addme people have changed something at their end, b) it now causes slowdown whilst using Actinic on your pc whilst online and c) you can get away with this if you surround the addme code with a block thingy.

I think.
          Football Heaven

Comment

That's exactly it!

So it would seem we have a workaround to resolve it:-

a) work offline or

b) delete the addthis bookmark buttom completely or

c) put Duncan's code around it (best option)

If I get anything back from addthis.com I will let you know, but so far they've not even put my post up. They have recently had issues and changed servers, but most people have found this speeds things up.

Phew!
            Helen
            www.postapresent.co.uk

Comment

Actually H, I think you won your own wine! lol
              Football Heaven

Comment

Bummer!

But glad I could help for a change as its usually me that needs it!
                Helen
                www.postapresent.co.uk

Comment

Actually I'm experimenting, would you mind emailing me the code you are using for your button? george at footballheaven.net Ta.
                  Football Heaven

Comment

George,

Just emailed it over, let me know if you don't get it.
                    Helen
                    www.postapresent.co.uk

Comment

Yes, all sorted now.

AddThis FAIL.
                      Football Heaven

Comment

You guys have been busy!

Wow! While I was asleep, y'all seem to have figured it out. Finally, a benefit to being six hours behind the rest of the Actinic world.

I put Duncan's code around my addthis button and my workstation seems to be back to normal. I'll try it on my laptop a bit later this morning when I get my head above water.

I agree, it has to be something to do with addthis, possibly in concert with an MS update. That's too bad because I really like the little button. I even put it on my baseball team's website.

I checked the addthis code generator this morning and the code is the same as when I put it in my site a couple of months ago. Weird. Their update states something about improved ping times. Are our buttons looking for an old server?
                        Kirk Pruitt
                        Zims Autotechnik
                        Bedford, Texas

Comment

Hi Kirk,

They have moved to a new server which is supposed to have speeded things up, but I re-downloaded the button today, presumably the latest, and it still caused problems, but if you put the code around it, you can still use it, it just hides it on actinic, but when you upload its there and so far working okay. Obviously if you then got probs on your live site, it needs removing completely, but so far so good.
                          Helen
                          www.postapresent.co.uk

Comment

Thanks Helen.

Far as I can tell, I'm good "live". Just offline is where the bog down happens. Unfortunately, that's where I have to do all my work.

Hopefully I can get my work knocked out pretty quick this morning and look at this some more this afternoon.

EDIT: Helen you have mail.
                            Kirk Pruitt
                            Zims Autotechnik
                            Bedford, Texas

Comment

For what it might help - I'm on XP with SP3. I use Trend security and run a full daily scan - and also run Malwarebytes once a week (which is what the techies use internally at Microsoft - well, did when I was there). I'm pretty certain I have no malware of viruses on my PC (but I guess you can never be sure).

I also have the same as Kirk:

.NET Framework 2.0 Service Pack 2 185.00mb
                              .NET Framework 3.0 Service Pack 2 179.00mb
                              .NET Framework 3.5 SP1 28.66mb

Like removing previous versions of Java, I wonder if you can safely remove SP2 if you have SP3 installed as above?

I did upgrade to IE8 a few weeks ago - and am thinking it was around that time that the slow content tree issue came up, though can't be certain which came first.

I also have "Add This" on my site - should I remove this? I have changed that number in the VBS file to 10% of my product number, but where it has made a difference, the content tree is still unbearably slow.

Not sure if any of this helps ......
                              Dorian
                              ------
                              www.itmustbegreen.co.uk
                              Fair-Trade & Eco-Friendly

Comment

Originally posted by Dorian View Post
                                Like removing previous versions of Java, I wonder if you can safely remove SP2 if you have SP3 installed as above?
                                No, you mustn't remove old versions of the .NET framework!! Only new features are installed when a new version comes out....

Also, on the AddThis button, we customised the javascript and then uploaded it to our server rather than call the script from the AddThis server. Still works fine, as the script still has some http calls to the AddThis site for tracking etc. We don't seem to suffer the problems described here about desktop and preview.
                                ActiveStock
                                On-line, real-time stock control plug-in for Actinic V7, V8 and V9
                                **New - Captcha plug-in for your Contact Us form**

ActiveStock website
                                Free 30 Day Trial
                                ActiveStock Blog (including a new tutorial on a 'Sort By' function for long section pages)

Comment

Working...
                                X