Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NamesCo & Merge Request Failures

Hi Everybody!

I have been hosted with NamesCo for the past couple of years, and it's been pretty solid. However I've been having a problem recently (within the last 24 hours), whereby I'm getting the following error:-

"An error was sent processing the merge request"

Reading through the forums, they suggest a number of things:-

* Compact the database
    * Purge & Refresh
    * Change The Script Number

All 3 have been done, and all 3 haven't work.

I have then done a network test and I get the following error:-

"Actinic received an request forbidden error from the web server. The server is not properly configured to allow Actinic to run CGI scripts from the cgi-bin. Run Web | Configure Web Site Details... to review your web site configuration."

When I visit my site CGI-Bin (view the response) I get an "Access Denied" message.

I click from this, and I get this error:-

"The test script failed to execute on the web server. The error could be caused by several things. Check the path to the Perl shell, the CGI script extension, the path to CGI-BIN, and the CGI-BIN URL. This error could also occur if your web site is out of disk space or your web server is not configured to accept POSTs to CGI scripts."

From there, I click "Configure Web Site Details", and I get an error that says either one of two things:-

The first I get around 90% of the time running it is a very unhelpful message containing just a red cross, and an OK button, no text whatsoever.

Occassionally, I get this:-

"An error occurred while attempting to change permissions of the ActinicBasicCGiTest.pl.
    The FTP server returned a reply code of 550.
    The current permissions of the file are 0664 and the required permissions are 0755.
    The Connection Wizard Will not continue.
    Please configure your network settings through the Advanced | Network Settings dialog.
    Contact your Actinic reseller or Actinic Support as appropriate for any assistance that you may require."

The file permissions of the CGI bin haven't been touched. They are still 0755.

Also, where is the "Advanced | Network Settings" dialog, can't seem to find it

Any help would be greatfully appreciated!

I've also sent a similar message to names, see if they come up with anything.

I've also sent a similar message to names, see if they come up with anything.
    its a host error

Comment

Originally posted by pinbrook View Post
      its a host error
      That's what I have suspected. I'll let you guys know what they come back with.

Comment

Bravo to namesco for spotting the error quickly.

Here's what the problem was:-

Namesco is an SUSE server, not an apache server. Therefore, rewrite rules won't work. I had a .htaccess file with mod rewrite on the server because we were sticking a blog up there for a client. The statments in the .htaccess files were causing the problem.

Comment

Hi Apologies for jumping in on your thread but im having a similar problem with Namesco.

This is my first time using Actinic (I purchased v9 Catalog) and Im at a complete loss as to where to go from here...

I have installed Antinic v9 onto my computer (windows vista) and decided to first configure the web site details etc...

My client has his web site hosted with Namesco and I have been following their guide to configure Artinic v8. (I figured the v9 configuration was virtually the same?)

Although on occasion I have managed to complete the configuration wizard up to the mail server settings section (I cant get the SMTP settings to work either) the configuration settings wont save and I end up having to run the wizard again and again.

Most of the time I am getting an error telling me that the FTP session has been terminated. I am also getting an error which just shows a pop up box containing a red cross? No information as to what the error is, and when I click on ok the configuration wizard terminates, or Actinic crashes completely.

I have the cgi-bin permissions set at 755 and the acatalog directory permissions set at 777. I have noticed that certain actinic files are being uploaded to the cgi-bin and sometimes a test html page is being uploaded to the web root, however when the wizard crashes, or the FTP session is terminated these files disappear from the server.

I have emailed both Namesco and Actinic but am yet to receive a reply.

Any advice in the meantime would be greatly appreciated.

Kindest Regards
          Dawn

Comment

Vista might be the cause of your problem. Check out this post in this thread.
            Reusable Snore Earplugs : Sample Earplugs - Wax Earplugs - Women's Earplugs - Children's Earplugs - Music Earplugs - Sleep Masks

Comment

PS Do you have a url handy for the site?
              Reusable Snore Earplugs : Sample Earplugs - Wax Earplugs - Women's Earplugs - Children's Earplugs - Music Earplugs - Sleep Masks

Comment

Hi and thanks for your speedy reply

The web site URL is www . vitagetics . com ** link removed by moderator - see below

I have checked that port 21 is open on vista firewall, and also checked my wireless router and everything seems to be ok. I have no trouble connecting to FTP via the command prompt, or using an FTP client.

I just ran the wizard again and now am now getting the following error :

An error occured while trying to change permissions of the directory ActinicCgiPath.pl
                No further diagnostics data is available.
                The connection wizard will not continue.
                Please configure your network settings through the advanced | Network settings dialog.

I have checked my cgi-bin and it now contains a file called ActinicCgiPath.pl with the permissions set at 644.

Also the ActinicWebSiteTest.html has been uploaded to the web root.

Thanks again for your help

Dawn

*** Moderator Comment: The link above is not to an Actinic site. Please confirm that you are trying to upload Actinic to that URL.

Comment

Originally posted by dawn_007 View Post
                  Hi and thanks for your speedy reply

The web site URL is www . vitagetics . com ** link removed by moderator - see below

I have checked that port 21 is open on vista firewall, and also checked my wireless router and everything seems to be ok. I have no trouble connecting to FTP via the command prompt, or using an FTP client.

I just ran the wizard again and now am now getting the following error :

An error occured while trying to change permissions of the directory ActinicCgiPath.pl
                  No further diagnostics data is available.
                  The connection wizard will not continue.
                  Please configure your network settings through the advanced | Network settings dialog.

I have checked my cgi-bin and it now contains a file called ActinicCgiPath.pl with the permissions set at 644.

Also the ActinicWebSiteTest.html has been uploaded to the web root.

Thanks again for your help

Dawn

*** Moderator Comment: The link above is not to an Actinic site. Please confirm that you are trying to upload Actinic to that URL.
                  Hi

Yes I can confirm that is the URL I am trying to upload Actinic too.

There is a acatalog directory but it is empty http://www.vitagetics.com/acatalog/

I now have a reply from Namesco

We do not support the content or scripting of customers websites. We know that the actinic software works on our hosting. The fact that you have managed to get past the cgi-bin setup stage means that it does work with our servers.
                  You are correct the mail servers should be localhost.

In the first instance, please contact Actinic support for there advice.

Should you require any further assistance, please feel free to contact us.

I am still waiting for a reply from Actinic support, however, I still feel that the problem is with Namesco and not Actinic.

Thanks for your help

Dawn

Comment

Please post your network settings (with usernames and passwords removed). You can do this by going to Web - Network Setup - Export

Comment

Originally posted by guccij View Post
                      Please post your network settings (with usernames and passwords removed). You can do this by going to Web - Network Setup - Export
                      My network settings are :

HTTPPROXYMODE 0
                      HTTPPROXYADDRESS
                      HTTPPROXYPORT 80
                      HTTPPROXYUSER
                      HTTPPROXYPASSWORD
                      FTPPROXYMODE 0
                      FTPPROXYADDRESS
                      FTPPROXYPORT 21
                      FTPPROXYUSER
                      FTPPROXYPASSWORD
                      SCRIPTID 1
                      SCRIPTEXT .pl
                      SMTPHOST localhost
                      WEBSITEURL Moderator Edit: Does not link to an Actinic Site
                      IGNOREPASSIVEERRORS true
                      USERELATIVECGIURLS false
                      PATHTOPERL /usr/bin/perl/
                      USEENHANCEFTP true
                      FTPCLIENTTIMEOUT 15000
                      FTPRETRYDELAY 3000
                      FTPKEEPALIVEINTERVAL 30000
                      FTPSILENT false
                      FTPMAXRETRIES 3
                      FTPCONNECTTIMEOUT 25000
                      SMTPAUTHREQUIRED false
                      SMTPUSERNAME
                      SMTPPASSWORD
                      COMPRESSIONPACKETSIZE 1024
                      COMPRESSEDUPLOAD true
                      CATALOGURL Moderator Edit: Does not link to an Actinic Site
                      ONLINESTOREFOLDERNAME acatalog
                      CGIBINURL Moderator Edit: Does not link to an Actinic Site
                      PATHFROMCGITOCATALOG ../acatalog/
                      CODEBASE ./
                      FTPHOST Moderator Edit: Does not link to an Actinic Site
                      FTPUSERNAME
                      FTPPASSWORD
                      PATHTOCGIBIN /web/cgi-bin/
                      USEPASSIVEFTP true
                      FTPPATHFROMCGITOCATALOG ../acatalog/

I also tried configuring Actinic to work with my own host (Domain City) and had no problems at all, which leads me to believe that Namesco is causing the problem?

Thanks again for all your help

Dawn

Comment

Hi

i seem to have everything now working

I had to manually change the file permissions of the files in the cgi-bin - these were set at 644, and changing them to 755 and then running the wizard again seemed to do the trick.

Just to confirm... should the sa000001.pm be set at 755 ?

Although the "FTP session terminated" error keeps appearing I have completed the wizard, and completed the test on the Network Settings page... I have even received the confirmation email with regard to the SMTP settings!

Just incase anyone experiences a similar problem, I will post my correct network settings below...

HTTPPROXYMODE 0
                        HTTPPROXYADDRESS
                        HTTPPROXYPORT 80
                        HTTPPROXYUSER
                        HTTPPROXYPASSWORD
                        FTPPROXYMODE 0
                        FTPPROXYADDRESS
                        FTPPROXYPORT 21
                        FTPPROXYUSER
                        FTPPROXYPASSWORD
                        SCRIPTID 1
                        SCRIPTEXT .pl
                        SMTPHOST localhost
                        WEBSITEURL Moderator Edit: Does not link to an Actinic Site
                        IGNOREPASSIVEERRORS true
                        USERELATIVECGIURLS false
                        PATHTOPERL /usr/bin/perl
                        USEENHANCEFTP true
                        FTPCLIENTTIMEOUT 15000
                        FTPRETRYDELAY 3000
                        FTPKEEPALIVEINTERVAL 30000
                        FTPSILENT false
                        FTPMAXRETRIES 3
                        FTPCONNECTTIMEOUT 25000
                        SMTPAUTHREQUIRED false
                        SMTPUSERNAME
                        SMTPPASSWORD
                        COMPRESSIONPACKETSIZE 1024
                        COMPRESSEDUPLOAD true
                        CATALOGURL Moderator Edit: Does not link to an Actinic Site
                        ONLINESTOREFOLDERNAME acatalog
                        CGIBINURL Moderator Edit: Does not link to an Actinic Site
                        PATHFROMCGITOCATALOG ../acatalog/
                        CODEBASE ./
                        FTPHOST ftp.vitagetics.com
                        FTPUSERNAME
                        FTPPASSWORD
                        PATHTOCGIBIN /web/cgi-bin/
                        USEPASSIVEFTP true
                        FTPPATHFROMCGITOCATALOG /web/acatalog/

Thanks again for the speedy responses!!

Dawn

Comment

That's still not an Actinic site. If this is spam, then I'm beyond cross.

Comment

Dawn, if you cannot provide links to an Actinic site then I will recommend to other Moderators that we deleted your posts and issue your profile with an infraction.

Army Gore-tex
                            Winter Climbing Mitts
                            webD's Blog: Website design, SEO and other ramblings…
                            Twitter LinkedIN

If you think a post is good, rate it!

Find the answers in the Knowledge Base | Have you read the User Guides

Comment

Hi

Sorry for any confusion, I am yet to start developing my site in Actinic, therefore the site does not have any reference to Actinic yet.

I previously created the site in XHTML using a javascript shopping cart to connect to Worldpay, however, the features and funtionality were very limited and the client has since decided to use an ecommerce solution. Worldpay recommended Actinic and we have purchased the v9 Catalog.

Before I started developing the site in Actinic, I wanted to make sure I could configure Actinic to work with the host, get the FTP settings correct etc so hopefully when I upload my Actinic site everything should run smoothly.

I am about to start editing the site in Actinic and hope to have it up and running in the next couple of days.

Again, I am really sorry for any confusion.

Regards
                              Dawn

Comment

Working...
                              X