Contact us Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi Eagle,

The plot thickens! here's the first few lines of my act_primary.

</TITLE>
    <Actinic:BASEHREF VALUE="NETQUOTEVAR:BASEHREF"/>
    <META NAME="ACTINICTITLE" CONTENT="NETQUOTEVAR:PAGEHEADER">
    <META HTTP-EQUIV="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
    <!--@act NETQUOTEVAR:HEADERMETA -->
    <!--@act NETQUOTEVAR:LOADFUNCTION -->
    <!--@act NETQUOTEVAR:SUBMITFUNCTION -->
    <!--@act NETQUOTEVAR:P3PFULLPOLICYLINK -->
    <LINK REL=STYLESHEET HREF="actinic.css">

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript" SRC="actiniccore.js" TYPE="text/javascript"></SCRIPT>
    <SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript" SRC="actinicextras.js" TYPE="text/javascript"></SCRIPT>

The link to the style sheet is included, but the code is not picking up on it.

I have the following addition at the bottom of actinic.css which was created by my friend who is building the main site.

/*Magical Wonders styles*/

.mw_h2 {
    font-family: Verdana ;
    font-size: 18px ;
    font-style: italic ;
    }

.mw_smallestfont {
    font-family: Verdana ;
    font-size: 11px ;
    }

Could this be throwing a spanner in the works somehow?

Myles
    www.magicalwonders.com

Comment

Myles,

I really doubt that any of that is throwing a spanner into the mix. Is the LINK statement within the <HEAD></HEAD> tag? I can not tell that from your example. Would you be willing to e-mail the ACT_Primary to me I would like to take a look at the entire file.

Perplexing at best!

Regards
      Eagle
      Isaiah 40:31But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew [their] strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; [and] they shall walk, and not faint.

Comment

Hi Eagle,

I'll send you a copy of my Act_primary. Thanks for taking the time to look at it.

Best wishes,

Myles
        www.magicalwonders.com

Comment

This is now very frustrating!

I'm able to adjust the size of the font for "Contact Us" by using the following code.

document.write("<a href='mailto:"+_l+"'style='color:black;font-size:xx-small'>"+_m+"</a>");

However, I am unable to set the font size using "actinic.css" which I would prefer to do.

I thought I'd managed to sort this a few days ago by including different sizes in the css like the following:-

a:link{
          color:NETQUOTEVAR:LINKCOLORCSS;
          font-size:xx-small,x-small,small,medium,large,actxxlarge;
          text-decoration:none;
          }

This seemed to work at the time when I tried it out, but I must now be doing something different as it will not respond. Here's the format of the code that is not working.

document.write("<a href='mailto:"+_l+"' style='color:black' class='large'>"+_m+"</a>");

I've tried class= every size available to no effect, plus all the "act" sizes.

As well as trying to get this to work within the Actinic software, I've set up a Test directory on my desktop. It only includes a copy of the Act_primary.html and actinic.css. I've spent days editing these templates without success. I am unable to get the size of the link controlled by css

I've attached text files of the two templates.

Can anybody get this to work, or let me know what's going wrong?

Many thanks,

Myles
          Attached Files
          www.magicalwonders.com

Comment

Originally posted by magicalwonders
            I've attached text files of the two templates.

Can anybody get this to work, or let me know what's going wrong?

Many thanks,

Myles
            Myles,

I have downloaded the files that you have attached and I am at a loss as to why it is not working on your test site. Whenever I load up your act_primary.html using your actinic.css files the Contact US displays correctly. However when I load up your store from the link you have provided in the thread it displays as you say. Do you have the current actinic.css and Act_Primary.html on the test server?

If you go to the test directory that I set up for you on my server

http://www.arassoc.com/actinic/test5/Act_Primary.html

you will see that it is working here.

and http://www.arassoc.com/actinic/test6/Act_Primary.html

and test6 is without the actinic.css in the directory, which does not work.

Regards
            Eagle
            Isaiah 40:31But they that wait upon the LORD shall renew [their] strength; they shall mount up with wings as eagles; they shall run, and not be weary; [and] they shall walk, and not faint.

Comment

Hi Eagle,

I tried your link for "test 5" but got the following message:

http://community.actinic.com/showthr...1&page=2&pp=15 83.104.54.144 /actinic/test5/Act_primary.html www.arassoc.com Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; DigExt; SV1; .NET CLR 1.0.3705) 404 If you have received this error please send an email to rickt@arassoc.com and forward the above information. Sorry for any inconvience this may have caused you.
              Same result with "test 6"

This is very weird stuff. I'm pretty sure it's much the same info at my test site as the files I previously attached.

http://support.actinic.co.uk/~kcsupp...xclusives.html

This is the line from the act_primary that's currently uploaded:
              document.write("<a href='mailto:"+_l+"' style='color:black' class='large'>"+_m+"</a>");
              And this is what it should be referencing in the css.
              a:link{
              color:NETQUOTEVAR:LINKCOLORCSS;
              font-size:xx-small,x-small,small,medium,large,actxxlarge;
              text-decoration:none;
              }

Have you actually been able to change the font size using these two files?
              As of yet, I've only been trying to get this to work locally on my PC. Am I right in thinking it should work without having to be uploaded as long as the two files are together in a directory?

Many thanks

Myles
              www.magicalwonders.com

Comment

Myles,

Oooops, typo, try it now...

Eagle

Comment

Hello Eagle,

The size of font in test site five at the moment is specified as xx-large. I've tried using the following code:- ("<a href='mailto:"+_l+"' style='color:black; font-size:xx-large'>"+_m+"</a>"); instead of using the class attribute and uploaded to my Actinic test site, in order to compare results

The difference in font size on my Actinic site with that of test site 5 is huge. So I don't think the class attribute is working properly.

Could you try substituting xx-large with xx-small in test site 5 and see if anything happens? (I'm pretty sure nothing will change)

Many thanks

Myles
                  www.magicalwonders.com

Comment

Originally posted by magicalwonders
                    Hello Eagle,

The size of font in test site five at the moment is specified as xx-large. I've tried using the following code:- ("<a href='mailto:"+_l+"' style='color:black; font-size:xx-large'>"+_m+"</a>"); instead of using the class attribute and uploaded to my Actinic test site, in order to compare results

The difference in font size on my Actinic site with that of test site 5 is huge. So I don't think the class attribute is working properly.

Could you try substituting xx-large with xx-small in test site 5 and see if anything happens? (I'm pretty sure nothing will change)

Many thanks

Myles
                    Myles,

First off in the actinic.css there is no xx-large or xx-small
                    The class should be actxxsmall or actxxlarge

Secondly
                    If you use the <font class=actxxsmall style=color:black>Contact US</font> within your document.write it works fine.

The exact line would be
                    document.write("<a href='mailto:"+_l+"'><font class=actxxlarge style=color:black>"+_m+"</font></a>");

I can not find any reference anywhere in my reference resources telling you how to use a class inside of the <a href...>

Check out the Act_Primary now on test5...

Regards
                    Eagle

Comment

Hi Eagle,

Thanks so much for putting me out of my misery!

Using the "class" attribute within the <a href..> was suggested early on in the thread by Andy. I seemed to have got stuck on positioning it there ever since.

I know that Actinic uses "actxxsmall" in place of "xx-small" etc.., Presumably if I include normal sizes, I will still be able to use them.

Why has Actinic done this though. What is the point of substituting valid sizes with act-this and act-that. Maybe that should be the subject of another thread!

Thanks again for all you help.

Best wishes,

Myles
                      www.magicalwonders.com

Comment

Eagle,

Just one more question (if you can stand it!)

The following code works great,

The exact line would be
                        document.write("<a href='mailto:"+_l+"'><font class=actxxlarge style=color:black>"+_m+"</font></a>");
                        However, on Test site 5 it is slightly different as follows.

document.write("<a href='mailto:"+_l+"'><font style=color:black class=actxxlarge>"+_m+"</font></a>");

I know it's basically the same, just the other way around. But in the second version it's just "class=..." instead of "font class=.."

They both work. Does it matter which one I use?
                        (also, I notice that quotes are not being used anymore. This is complicated stuff!)

Many thanks,

Myles
                        www.magicalwonders.com

Comment

Why do you not use anchor classes for your links?

If you set a style like:

a.mw_h2:active,a.mw_h2:link,a.mw_h2:visited {font-size:10px; font-family:Verdana; text-decoration:none}
                          a.mw_h2:hover {font-size:10px; font-family:Verdana; text-decoration:underline}

It gets applied only to <a> tags of the class 'mw_h2'.

Then you don't need to worry about the order of tags or whatever. You'd need to write:

document.write("<a href=\"mailto:"+_l+"\" class=\"mw_h2\">"+_m+"</a>");

And include in the actinic.css the above class.
                          Last edited by DaveT; 29-Nov-2004, 01:06 PM. Reason: to make use of styles given previously
                          http://www.johnsons-seeds.com - Actinic plugins, remote add to cart and custom CMS
                          http://www.dtbrownseeds.co.uk - More seeds and plants....
                          http://www.mr-fothergills.co.uk - Well it used to be Actinic...

Comment

Thanks Dave,

That sounds like a good solution.

Right now though I've been struggling with this for over two weeks, so I'll probably stay away from css now until I get my website up. I'm running way behind schedule.

I will try and sort my css out at some point though, so that it is more effective (if that is the case?)

Many thanks

Myles
                            www.magicalwonders.com

Comment

Andy was close but I have found that <a> tags are quite specific on how they render CSS - they will do funny things with inheritance which is why you are getting the issue you have. By making this class <a> specific you can override inherited styles from the 'main' anchor styles, and also from the <body> tags.

Have a look at your page:

www.mr-fothergills.co.uk/source/mw.html

View Source and look for the line:

<!-- NEW STYLE!! -->

Then copy this into the stylesheet (actinic.css) and reupload the stylesheet:

a.contact:active, a.contact:link, a.contact:visited {font-family:Verdana; font-size:10px; color:#000000; text-decoration:none; font-weight:bold}

a.contact:hover {font-family:Verdana; font-size:10px; color:#000000; text-decoration:underline; font-weight:bold}

Then copy the document.write bit as follows:

<script type="text/javascript">
                              var _u = "sales";
                              var _d = "domain.co.uk";
                              var _l = _u + "@" + _d;
                              var _m = "Contact Us";
                              document.write("<a href='mailto:" + _l + "' class='contact'>" + _m + "</a>");
                              </script>

Let me know how you go.
                              http://www.johnsons-seeds.com - Actinic plugins, remote add to cart and custom CMS
                              http://www.dtbrownseeds.co.uk - More seeds and plants....
                              http://www.mr-fothergills.co.uk - Well it used to be Actinic...

Comment

Myles,

Dave's suggestion actually sounds like the better solution than mine. You could then use only the class statement in any other scripting that you might have or need without having to all the font line all the time.

Thanks Dave for sharing that, I could not find any reference to it anywhere I looked.

Regards
                                Eagle

Comment

Working...
                                X