Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Restoring from a reinstall

Hi!
    I was forced to reinstall windows the other day and so quickly I copied my Actinic folder on to a DVD. In the process I have not got any snapshots of the stores I have been working on, I do have the sites folder though.

Is there anyway I can get the sites back without snapshots??

Please help.

Owain.

Just license a site as normal, then exit Actinic and copy your saved Site1 folder into the sites folder. Load Actinic again and you should be up and running.

Since I develop multiple sites, instead of using many snapshots I just zip the entire 'sites' folder regularly.
    Last edited by Kermy; 15-Sep-2005, 11:05 AM. Reason: correction
    www.gbradley.co.uk
    Web Development, Actinic Patches, Scripts & more

Comment

Thats what I thought would happen as well, I have copied the entire sites folder back in to the actinic folder but when I go to click on File->Sites there is only one site in there and its the demo site, not any of the multiple sites I have worked on.

O.

Comment

Sorry, I corrected the above too slowly! You have to license the correct number of sites first, then exit Actinic before copying the sites over again.
        www.gbradley.co.uk

Comment

Do I need to create the new sites with the identical folder name?

O.

Comment

Yes, otherwise Actinic will ignore the folder you copied.
            www.gbradley.co.uk

Comment

Best to start with as the paths in the database are going to be incorrect - you can always rename the sites once they are load in.

Bikster
              SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

hmm, just tried one of the sites and all the products get imported without a problem but the templates seem to be ignored, it just looks like the demo site but with my sites products in it....

Thanks for your help so far.

O.

Comment

Hi Owain
                  You need to be copying back the entire Site1 folder, not just the database files.
                  Assuming you backed uo the entire Site1 folder, your amended templates should be in there
                  Martin

Comment

Thanks for your help everyone, it mustnt have overwritten the demo templates, everything is looking spot on now Phew!

O.

Comment

I have had this issue before when copying in a site - I had to delete the entire contents of the new site folder and subfolder leaving just the master folder (named accordingly) and then copying across the old site contents for the templates to take hold.

Bikster

Comment

Originally posted by Owain
                        everything is looking spot on now
                        No need to mention about now taking a snapshot and storing off computer

Bikster

Comment

Is there any benefit to taking snapshots if you regularaly take a copy of the Site1 folder?

Comment

Apart from avoiding what Owain just went through, not really
                            www.gbradley.co.uk

Comment

Could you please expand on this.
                              What does the snapshot include, that is not contained in a copy of the Site1 folder?
                              I thought that the idea behind the snapshot function was a speedy way of backing up, but thought that a complete Site1 copy contained everything.
                              I have found in the past that snapshots aren't always reliable, and thought I had covered my back with regular Site1 backups. Is this not the case?

Comment

Working...
                              X