No announcement yet.

Restoring from a reinstall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The snapshot assumes you have not modified any of the .pl scripts amongst other things - best to always keep a copy of the Site1 folder "as is" and also a snapshot - the snaphot is great if you mess up big style and still have the Site1 folder - if you kill the hard drive you are best using the Site1 copy IMHO as the snapshot does not pick everything up

Bikster
    SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

When backing up a site be sure to take a copy of the security keys from actinic as well. I paste and copy mine into a text file.

Mike
      -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

I think I will be taking snapshots and backing up the site1 folders every month from now on, just in case

So the snapshot is really only a backup for the site1 folder for that site?

O.

Comment

Originally posted by Owain
          So the snapshot is really only a backup for the site1 folder for that site?
          I think of the snapshot as a "get me out of trouble quickly" restore in that most of the stuff is there but not all the modified .pl scripts - I guess Actinic assumes the original ones are OK for the majority of users.

I recently killed my PC and had to install on a new machine, imported the snapshot from the web server from the night before but lost all the changes to the order scripts thereby losing some of the functionality I needed. I now take a snapshot each night and synchronise the Site folder on a 2 weekly basis.

Bikster
          SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

I never knew about the Snapshot not backing up the .pl files but now I think about it, when something did not really badly wrong once, I restored from a snapshot and all my cascading menus didnt work, so I had to fix it myself. I thought it was just something I did, now I know it wasnt

I like your idea about backing up the site folder on a 2 week basis. I might make a note to myself to backup my site folder, never thought about it in the past!

O.

Comment

Hello, my pc broke down after a powercut and i took out the harddrive b4 it went off to the insurance company. A friend of mine will install the harddrive on her pc to see what we can retrieve, if the harddrive is still intact what do we need to do to get actinic back on and running ? do I need to install actinic software on her pc now and what is the next step? I did do regular backups on my old pc (but never a site snapshot?). We are not very technical so would you be able to guide us through step by step?
              Thank you,

Comment

Duplicate post.

Please dont post duplicate questions you will not get an answer any quicker.

Comment

Working...
                X