Keywords and Descriptions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Faulkds
    My concern is ive gone from 900 hits a day to 300 in less than two weeks...
    Haven't we just come through a major rebuild with Google in the past few weeks? I have seen a lot of shifting in positions in the past couple of weeks.

Mike?

Bikster
    SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Yes, Google seems to be half way through a major release that's coming in stages. From what I read it should be complete around the middle of next week.

Mike.
      -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Hi Mike,

So am i panicing for no reason at all?

Comment

I wouldn't panic yet. It seems that the Google update is being done in three stages and so far only 2 have been completed. What it will look like after the final update is anyone's guess but usually the later updates seem to be targetted at removing spammy sites and boosting the genuine ones back up again.

If I were you I would look at why there's no keywords meta tag on your home page. Google tends to discount these as being easily 'doctored' for search engines and thus unreliable for SERPS purposes but I'd be surprised if they didn't use them at all.

Mike

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

Hi Mike,

Maybe you can help me with this one...

I have all the correct code in my templates....

However, when I view the source i see some strange character codes in my titles and keywords description tags.

I have searched the various catalog files but cant find any reference to these codes?

e.g

<META NAME="Keywords" CONTENT="4-Motorcycles - Motorcycle Accessories Parts Security">
            <META NAME="Description" CONTENT="4-Motorcycles - Motorcycle Accessories Parts Security">

Comment

Looking at the source online, I see a couple of &45; notations. These are html escape code for the character - . The only way to get rid of these is to remove the hyphens from the tags.
              Bill
              www.egyptianwonders.co.uk
              Text directoryWorldwide Actinic(TM) shops
              BC Ness Solutions Support services, custom software
              Registered Microsoft™ Partner (ISV)
              VoIP UK: 0131 208 0605
              Located: Alexandria, EGYPT

Comment

It doesnt just put in the codes for hyphons but for spaces, commars etc. Its on all my meta tags etc and Im not sure if Google is going to like it. Why is it doing it?

Comment

It is standard HTML, and Google et al will have no problem with it. Spiders read HTML.

If it really concerns you, the only answer is to restrict yourself to alphanumeric characters. A-Z a-z and 0-9.
                  Bill

Comment

So when you generate keywords and meta tags from the catlog do you get all those codes?

Also, my marketing people say that if the robot simulators cant see the title or keywords, description then neither will the se's.

Comment

Yes, I also get escaped html if I use entities inside the tags in Actinic. I even escape my own entities when I write code in HTML for my other websites.

Some spider simulators do a good job of interpreting HTML and see what the spider sees, others do not. If you try ten of these you will probably find you have eight or so different answers.

Do a search for html entities and look for w3cschools and similar authority sites - read the info there and see if you still believe there is a problem. It does not look pretty to the untrained human eye, but it is good spider food.
                      Bill

Comment

Hi,

Thanks for the advise, I agree with what your saying but its the marketing company that I use to market my site who dont agree.

However,

Look at this example here.

Both fields in the cat have the same keywords and descriptions, however they appear totally different in the source...?

http://www.4-motorcycles.co.uk/acatalog/Tools.html

Comment

So are this company telling you the spiders cannot read your descriptions?
                          <BR>Durable, steel constructed, spacious tool cabinet and worktop unit.<BR>Key features include: <BR>Lift-Top Cabinet<BR>Locking internal lid support-struts<BR>Internal mesh section for tool hanging<BR>Side recesses for tool hanging<BR>Locking mechanism<BR>Protective liner<BR>Protection mat for lid top - when using cabinet as worktop<BR>3 Integral Drawers<BR>• Fully lockable<BR>Protective liners<BR>Contents label grip fronts<BR>Bearing mounted runners<BR>Open Sided Bottom Tray<BR>Protective liner<BR>Castors<BR>360° swivel<BR>Locking brakes<BR><BR><BR>&nbsp;
                          [added]Compare this to what you see when you view source on your page from the browser.[/added]

You do not need to replace your html code - you might give some thought to replacing your advisors if this conversation is typical of their level of expertise and knowledge.
                          Last edited by wjcampbe; 31-Oct-2005, 03:37 PM. Reason: tried to add code view to illiustrate the point
                          Bill

Comment

Hi Bill,

Its just where the traffic has been decreasing over the last week etc i asked them to have a look into it..... This is what they said, they thought that google cant see my keywords and descriptions...

When I tested it i noticed funny things too.... Hence the original post.

I dont know whether im coming or going...

Thanks for your advice
                            Darren

Comment

The google update is still in progress, so you may be losing a few visits there. Just hang on for another few days to see how you settle out.

Spend the time getting yourself a few more incoming links instead of agonising overly perfectly valid html code
                              Bill

Comment

This is what they said, they thought that google cant see my keywords and descriptions...
                                I think your marketing company is clutching at straws. Very little of your positioning is due to keywords and descriptions.

Much better to concentrate on page titles, body text and links

Comment

Working...
                                X