Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Charity site - in time for Christmas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New Charity site - in time for Christmas?

We have just launched www.justaid.org.uk
    Have had a few teething problems but have found Actinic to be brilliant, especially considering it's not strictly set up this purpose.
    Would really appreciate any feedback from all you Actinic Pros!

Very very very very very very very good

If I could make a couple of suggestions:

1) Metatags need sorting out
    2) You also need to insert this metatag to stop the internet explorer showing the image bar when you mouse over a picture:
    <META HTTP-EQUIV="imagetoolbar" CONTENT="no">

Other than, just in case you missed it, I like the site

Max

Comment

The site looks nice and fresh and the idea looks both practical and from my experience of the 3rd world very rewarding

If you were to publish your admin costs i.e what the trustees take out, I could well make a contribution
      Chris Ashdown

Comment

Looks good. Nice to see Actinic being used extensively as a brochure site.

I did spend several minutes trying to see if you were a registered charity. Was not in the FAQ or similar sections where I expected it to be. By chance noticed it as part of the header graphics. May be worth making this more prominent or adding into the FAQ section etc as I imagine it will be the first thing a lot of people will look for to see if you are genuine

Bikster
        SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Originally posted by Max
          Very very very very very very very good

If I could make a couple of suggestions:

2) You also need to insert this metatag to stop the internet explorer showing the image bar when you mouse over a picture:

Other than, just in case you missed it, I like the site

Max
          Thanks Max for the great feedback!! Really appreaciated.
          I will definately look into the meta tags, I'm quite new to all this so will have to work out how to sort them out. But thanks for the advice.

Comment

Originally posted by chris ashdown
            The site looks nice and fresh and the idea looks both practical and from my experience of the 3rd world very rewarding

If you were to publish your admin costs i.e what the trustees take out, I could well make a contribution

Hi Chris,
            Thanks for your message and for you interest.
            The trustees and all staff for JustAid are working voluntarily and this will continue to be the case for some time. Currently, our running costs consist of web design work and basic admin supplies.

Obviously in order to ensure that the charity itself is sustainable, we will have to fund a salary for at least one member of staff in the near future, but we plan to source this separatelty, not from private donations made towards projects. We already have a corporate sponsor interested in supporting a salary. Our plan is to always keep donations for projects separate from running costs and allow people to choose if they would like to specifically support running costs. (see Ways of Giving)

I hope that this helps explain in more detail how we run. Maybe a little unorthodox but people seem to like the distinction being made (Maybe I need to make it clearer on the site?)

Thanks again for your interest,
            Jodie

Comment

Originally posted by jont
              I did spend several minutes trying to see if you were a registered charity. Was not in the FAQ or similar sections where I expected it to be. By chance noticed it as part of the header graphics. May be worth making this more prominent or adding into the FAQ section etc as I imagine it will be the first thing a lot of people will look for to see if you are genuine
              Thanks for the suggestion. It is really helpful to have feedback from someone completely freash to the site and you are right, we probably do need to make our charitable status more obvious .. we worked hard enough to get it!!
              Do you think the FAQ section would be a good place?

Thanks,
              Jodie

Comment

I'm in the steering group of another kind of charity and I know some folk will not donate because we are not a registered one so its probably vitally important that you can make this information easy to find. I know we've had folk who will refuse to donate as we're not registered.

(Our sites getting a major facelift but if anyone's interested here it is... http://tasunshineappeal.co.uk/)

Good work though Jodie, and good luck.
                Football Heaven

For all kinds of football souvenirs and memorabilia.

Comment

I looked for the same thing (registered charity status) and would suggest this is key to convincing people you're a legitimate charity.

I would put it at the bottom of every page, in a separate FAQ and in other relevant FAQs such as 'who we are', 'about us' etc.

Mike

PS. I really like your approach to separating out funding for the charity versus funding for the charity projects. I know it's hard for charities to get public awareness but I want to donate to good causes, not towards TV adverts, free pens, etc.
                  -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Max
                    I now understand how to include metatags and will get to work on this!
                    However, I just spoke to our designer and he is unsure what the image bar relates to? Could you tell me where to enter this code and exlpain how it will help.
                    Thanks!

Comment

This is the little "helpful" toolbar which appears under IE when you hover over an image - allows the person to save, print etc.

I would think hard before disabiling a users browser function - if it something they expect to see they may be annoyed/bemused it is not there. IE users are used to seeing it so is not a massive issue to the majority. People that dont like it tend to use Firefox or Opera etc

Bikster
                      SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Originally posted by Jodie
                        I now understand how to include metatags and will get to work on this!
                        However, I just spoke to our designer and he is unsure what the image bar relates to? Could you tell me where to enter this code and exlpain how it will help.
                        Thanks!
                        usually one of the last metatags

Max

Comment

Originally posted by jont
                          This is the little "helpful" toolbar which appears under IE when you hover over an image - allows the person to save, print etc.

I would think hard before disabiling a users browser function
                          Just because IE has it in its function does not mean that its a good thing, besides (from my point of view) it annoys the sh*t out of me and I don't use firefox as its still not as good as explorer in rendering certain css styles.

Max

Comment

Why not add your charity number to both header and footer that way it will be shown at all times and is a quick fix until you can do something more elegant.

Duncan
                            Ph: 0845 838 1 839

Comment

Originally posted by Duncan Allan
                              Why not add your charity number to both header and footer that way it will be shown at all times and is a quick fix until you can do something more elegant.Duncan
                              Duncan, you should get rid of the forwarding page when you click on the main url, its a real "no! no!" for the search engines

Max

Comment

Working...
                              X