Anchor Text Optimization

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anchor Text Optimization

I was just onto someone who is organising my optimization for my website. They have told me that I'm not using anchor text on my site (pet-bliss.com). They suggested that I do not attempt to do this myself as I could ruin my rankings rather than increase them.

They seem to think that because of the way google changed that this is the only thing that will help my site improve rankings.

They also said that the way I'm generating anchor text at the moment is wrong and that actinic is not handling this correctly.

Are they just trying to con me out of more money ?? Is actinic really that unsuitable for anchor text ??

Any comments appreciated....
    For Everyday Pet Products
    www.pet-bliss.com

For Doggy Bling and Clothes
    www.poshpaws.ie

Not 100% certain what they are on about with regards to the Anchor text, i.e. are they on about the actual text shown on the links, or the fact that Actinic does not make use of the title="xxxxxx" anchor mouseovers.

Actinic does not provide title text inclusions in the links true, but all of the physical link text elements are controlled by what ever you call the sections within which your products reside.

Comment

Anyone who warns you not to do things yourself is a BS merchant and out to con you into paying them lots of money.

Yes, Google likes to see the keywords in link anchor text. You have plenty on your site, the only thing I'd change in that respect is the navigation links going via the cgi-bin.

Mike
      -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

As Mike says they are talking complete rubbish. The navigation on the left is via the cgi-bin which is not ideal but you have a link on the homepage to a site map so that will be ok for your product pages, any brochure pages you should handcode into the site map to make sure they are spidered. Having said that I think Google has learnt to spiders via the cgi-bin as I have a new site that I did not put a link to the sitemap and all the pages have been indexed!.

What is more serious I think is that (I am not quite sure about this as your site is confusing me) you seem to have two sites and depending on the links selected you get taken to different pages that should be the same eg Dog Products in the text takes you to a typical Actinic layout store but dog products on the top nav takes you to a page of text which seems to have been replicated for all the sections. If you use the left nav the link is broken and I get a 404.

If an SEO is involved I suspect they have told you to generate extra pages or the like which will involve money

You also seem to have split the terms and conditions ie on the front page they are separte but in the Actinic store they are "normal".

There is a lot going on here and it is very confusing to me as a visitor as some links lead to deadends where I would expect to end up looking at your products.

Also the pop up on opening the site asking me to sign up for the news letter is a big put off.

Comment

[QUOTE=fuzzie bear]I was just onto someone who is organising my optimization for my website. They have told me that I'm not using anchor text on my site (pet-bliss.com). They suggested that I do not attempt to do this myself as I could ruin my rankings rather than increase them.

[QUOTE]
          Hi
          Yes, Anchor Text is very important and it should have your main keywords in the anchor text. That is a great boost for Google ranking.
          There are two types of anchor text which they may be refering to, the Internal Anchor Text, for your internal links, and the External Anchor Text for links comming to your site from other sites (inbound links).
          You have done very well with your internal links. You have used
          "Pet Products"
          for most of your internal links , which I assume is one of your main key word phrase. I think you have done a very good job there...

For your external links (inbound links) you have used the following:
          Pet-Bliss
          Pet-Bliss Online Pet shop
          Pet-Bliss Online Pet shop for Pet supplies
          Pet-Bliss Pet Products
          Pet-Bliss Pet Products | Pet Supply Store | Online Pet Shop
          for example in this incomming link :http://www.atlanta-georgia-dui.com/miscellaneous8.htmlyou used the following Anchor Text:
          Pet-Bliss Online Pet Shop for Pet Supplies

Since I dont know what your Keywords are you are optimising for , I can not advice you what your anchor text should be. If you have say four keyword phrases, then you should only use one Keyword phrase per anchor text. so you should have say 50 Anchor Text inbound Links of Pet Products , for the next 50 of your Anchor Text use the second keyword phrase and so on. Dont mix all your keyword phrases in one anchor text. It is more effective to have just one keyword phrase in the anchor text at a time and create bathces of 50 of each...
          so your first 50 batch would be:
          Keyword1
          second 50 batch :
          keyword 2 ...and so on

hope that helps

Comment

Thanks Doc, that clears it up a bit.

My main keywords are : online pet shop, pet products, pet supplies

I think it was internal links they were talking about as they said they would need a copy of my site to make the changes.

They also mentioned that I should have a ratio of anchor text on my site... what do you think about that ?
            www.pet-bliss.com

www.poshpaws.ie

Comment

Originally posted by fuzzie bear
              Thanks Doc, that clears it up a bit.

My main keywords are : online pet shop, pet products, pet supplies

I think it was internal links they were talking about as they said they would need a copy of my site to make the changes.

They also mentioned that I should have a ratio of anchor text on my site... what do you think about that ?
              Well you should use these 3 keyword phrases alternately.
              I dont know what they mean by a ratio of anchor text, I assume they mean as i said before different anchor text and rotate them in batches..
              Are you aware how you created your Anchor Text in Actinic? Because you actually did that...

Comment

They were saying that on some pages you should only have a certain number of anchor texts otherwise google will think that you are trying to cheat with optimisation. They said it was all very confusing and I'd probably never be able to do it.

"Are you aware how you created your Anchor Text in Actinic? Because you actually did that..." ... umm no - want to shed some light?.. lol
                www.pet-bliss.com

www.poshpaws.ie

Comment

Originally posted by fuzzie bear
                  They were saying that on some pages you should only have a certain number of anchor texts otherwise google will think that you are trying to cheat with optimisation. They said it was all very confusing and I'd probably never be able to do it.
                  No..that is not correct. Since you have 3 keyword phrases, you split it into three seperate batches as i explained before...it is not confusing at all..

"Are you aware how you created your Anchor Text in Actinic? Because you actually did that..." ... umm no - want to shed some light?.. lol

Yes..your anchor text in all your internal links is :
                  Pet Products
                  All your internal Pages show up with this Anchor Text, so all you need to do is change it to include the other 2 keyphrases, then you are covered...

Comment

What if I wanted more than 3 keywords ??
                    www.pet-bliss.com

www.poshpaws.ie

Comment

you can have as many as you want, but you must remember that your choice of keywords depend on a no. of factors:
                      1. How competitive is this keyword
                      for example if your kewword is computer , you dont have a chance because apple.com and dell.com are no. 1 and 2. Apple has a page rank of 10 and you have 1.6 billion sites competing for that word..
                      2. Once you choose a Keyword, you then got to see who ranks on top from your competitors and what are your chances of overtaking them..all you have to do is look at their website see how well its optimised, what their page rank is, how many back links they have and this will give you an idea if you have a chance or not..if not, then you go down to the next level of a less competitive keyword and so on...
                      But I think 5 keywords should be more then enough, because remember, you have to optimise your page content for these keywords. if you have a large number of keywords, then its very difficult to optimise a site for such a large number, and you are spreading yourself too thin.

Comment

could you please check something for me. What text did you put in :
                        Design|Options|Navigation|HomePage Icon|Description ?
                        I also need to know in Design|Options|Miscellanous what did you click under Home Page Link, None, Brochure or URL and what url?
                        Also for the top of the tree did you click "use as Website Home Page".

I am checking to see why Actinic is using the phrase "Pet Products" as Anchor Text for all your internal links.

Comment

I wonder if your targetted keywords are to general?

If I was looking for a dog basket (for example) I would use the keyphrase "dog basket" and not pet supplies or pet products.

I certainly would not use the the " online pet shop"

what use is the word "online" when you are online.

Comment

As Jo says "pet products" is too general a term and again not many people will be searching for it. Far more likely is "Dog Bowl" "Cat Litter" "Dog Lead" etc you should optimise a page per keyword as you can only really have one keyword/phrase per page otherwise you will dilute your primary keyword.

Each of your product sections should be optimised for that product. Check out http://www.petplanet.co.uk and see how they have done it. Look at your competitor for each keyword/phrase and do what they do.

Comment

Under home page URL - its selected as brochure page.

I got the pet products in by doing the following :

going to design options
                              shop defaults tab
                              header - pet products

My catalog name in the layout where you add new products is called pet product sections

Not sure what part of this sets anchor text as pet products though...
                              www.pet-bliss.com

www.poshpaws.ie

Comment

Working...
                              X