Section and sub-section links

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Section and sub-section links

I thought I'd posted this question yesterday but a search of all forums doesn't reveal it. Please forgive me if it appears twice for some reason.

I've set up an extra html page called Act_SectionLine_3col.html so I can set out a page of thumbnails for one of the product ranges. I've followed the instructions given in the Actinic design manual (pp25 & 26).

The problem is that I get what I want in the sub-section controlling that product range but it also seems to affect the section above it by making 3 columns there also. That results in my text for the section being squeezed into a centre column.

I don't understand how a sub-section can affect the layout of the section above it. I've tried every combination of Section Link layouts and overrides that I can think of without success.

All other sections behave as expected with the default settings.

Can anybody help please?

Ken

Hi Ken

The arrangement of section links are defined in Design | Options | Sections tab | Default Location and Arrangement of Section Lists. You can set the number of rows and columns for the sections accordingly. I would suggest you to make sure that you use a different template for the sub-section on which you want to lay the products into three columns while the rest of the subsections using "Use parent"

I hope this helps.
    Regards

Dhivya Malani

Comment

Hi Dhivya

Thanks for your comments. Perhaps I didn't explain clearly enough. I don't want to alter default layout settings, only the section as defined below.

The layout in question is as follows:-
      Section: Belts & Saddlery/Section: Belts/Sub-sections: 1 for Each Product.

'Belts & Saddlery' - Section Link Layout: "Use Parent". No overrides set.

'Belts'. Section Link Layout: "Act_SectionLine_3col.html". (Created from Act_SectionLine.html by following the instructions in Actinic design manual pages 25 and 26 in order to set up a page of thumbnails in 3 columns). Override Default Settings is ticked and the number of columns set to 3 in both 'First' and 'Subsequent' rows.

This works fine from the 'Belts' section onwards. The trouble is it affects the parent section ('Belts & Saddlery') by squeezing my text in that section into a narrow central column. I want the 'Belts & Saddlery' section to have a single, full width column with an image on the left of the text (exising standard section layout option) and I can't get this to work.

If I try an override in the section 'Belts & Saddlery' to give a first row of 1 column followed by 3 columns, nothing appears on either the 'Belts & Saddlery' or the 'Belts' catalog pages except the navigation strings top and bottom.

Ken

15 Jun - no ideas then?

Comment

Hi Ken

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you on this.

I think the problem is you need to select the 'Act_SectionLine_3col.html' as the 'Section Link Layout' for your product sub-sections rather than for the 'Belts' section.

Comment

Hi Ken

I have tested it out on my default site as well and chris's post would be the way out to get it working.
          Regards

Dhivya Malani

Comment

TVM Chris & Dhivya.

That's solved it.

Ken

Comment

Working...
            X