• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problems enabling email from site

Hi,

I'm having a problem getting our site

http://www.pisces-conservation.com/shop

to send contact and confirmation emails; we simply get a 'Connection refused' error. The site is hosted with Freedomnames.

I have tried a variety of SMTP servers, with and without password/username;
    mail.freedomnames.co.uk
    mail.pisces-conservation.com
    localhost, and

all with the same result. Freedomnames tech support can't suggest much else:

"Can you please try the ip address 212.85.249.130, It is the primary mailserver for you domain. It allows SMTP 25, please check the application. "

Our internet connectivity is via Demon, so we wouldn't expect a connection to Freedomnames' SMTP server to work from running a test in Catalog, but it certainly should from the Freedomnames-hosted site. Our network settings are as follows (password blanked):
    HTTPPROXYMODE 0
    HTTPPROXYADDRESS
    HTTPPROXYPORT 80
    HTTPPROXYUSER
    HTTPPROXYPASSWORD
    FTPPROXYMODE 0
    FTPPROXYADDRESS
    FTPPROXYPORT 21
    FTPPROXYUSER
    FTPPROXYPASSWORD
    SCRIPTID 0
    SCRIPTEXT .cgi
    SMTPHOST 212.85.249.130
    WEBSITEURL http://www.pisces-conservation.com/shop
    IGNOREPASSIVEERRORS true
    USERELATIVECGIURLS false
    PATHTOPERL /usr/bin/perl
    USEENHANCEFTP false
    FTPCLIENTTIMEOUT 15000
    FTPRETRYDELAY 3000
    FTPSILENT false
    FTPMAXRETRIES 3
    FTPCONNECTTIMEOUT 25000
    SMTPAUTHREQUIRED false
    SMTPUSERNAME
    SMTPPASSWORD
    CATALOGURL http://www.pisces-conservation.com/shop/acatalog/
    CGIBINURL http://www.pisces-conservation.com/shop/cgi-bin/
    PATHFROMCGITOCATALOG ../acatalog/
    CODEBASE ./
    FTPHOST www.pisces-conservation.com
    FTPUSERNAME ex477423
    FTPPASSWORD *****************
    PATHTOCGIBIN shop/cgi-bin/
    USEPASSIVEFTP false
    FTPPATHFROMCGITOCATALOG

Plainly, I'm doing something fundamentally stupid. But what?

MTIA
    Robin Somes

The test from within catalog should work properly as it posts the message up to your webserver and makes the connection from there.

As to why you're having a problem I can't say. Usually this is fairly painless but not many people here are likely to have any experience with freedomnames.

What does the catalog test say?

Mike
    -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

Comment

"The computer you specified as your mail server is not a valid mail (SMTP) server. Check the computer name or address and try again. If it fails again, then it is possible, you were locked out by a firewall program, or you don't have network connection to this server."

then

"Actinic Mail Test completed successfully
      server: passed
      connection: failed
      sockets: passed
      communications: failed
      authorisation: failed

cheers,
      robin

Comment

All I can suggest is that you keep trying with a few variations.(username/password/authorisation etc).

According to a dns check your email server is at mail.pisces-conservation.com
        so that would be my first choice for focussing on.

Mike

Comment

Originally posted by olderscot
          All I can suggest is that you keep trying with a few variations.(username/password/authorisation etc).

According to a dns check your email server is at mail.pisces-conservation.com
          so that would be my first choice for focussing on.

Mike
          Thanks, I'll keep trying. If that fails - and assuming it's not something basic like a firewall getting in the way - can you envisage any reason why using a 3rd-party SMTP Authentication service (such as Gradwell's SMTP Relay) would not work?

Many thanks.
          Robin

Comment

can you envisage any reason why using a 3rd-party SMTP Authentication service (such as Gradwell's SMTP Relay) would not work?
            No, that looks like it should work OK. But then so should your hosts own service and it's possible they have a firewall or something running to block smtp traffic. Still, it could be worth trying - see if they'll give you a free trial before you're committed to paying for it.

Mike

Comment

No, that looks like it should work OK. But then so should your hosts own service and it's possible they have a firewall or something running to block smtp traffic. Still, it could be worth trying - see if they'll give you a free trial before you're committed to paying for it.
              Mike
              Agreed, the ISP's service should work...

I have now (thanks to previous advice) tried both mail.pisces-conservation.com and smtp.pisces-conservation.com, and got the following results. Results, plural, unfortunately.

1. Both test OK, both report "Your email has been sent" from the mail form on the Contact page. But no emails arrive (I have checked that the email alias given in Business settings: Company/Contact exists, and is at the pisces-conservation.com domain), whereas a test mail sent from elsewhere to that address arrives instantly.

2. Shortly afterwards, having changed nothing, both fail, reporting "The computer you specified as your mail server is not a valid mail (SMTP) server. Check the computer name or address and try again. If it fails again, then it is possible, you were locked out by a firewall program, or you don't have network connection to this server."

3. Again, having changed nothing, both test OK, but no email received, as above.

I'll report this back to Freedomnames tech support, as it suggests it might be a problem on their side.

Many thanks,
              Robin

Comment

Mike
                Having now tired of trying to deal with our ISP's Helldesk in India, we've bought an SMTP Relay service from Gradwell. And we still have no joy. Actinic simply reports Gradwell's server as not a valid SMTP server.

Running a website test from Help: Troubleshooting produces the following result:
                Get host name...
                Host name is 'www.pisces-conservation.com'
                DNS lookup...
                OK
                Create socket address...
                OK
                Create socket...
                OK
                Connecting to socket...
                OK
                The connect message from the SMTP server...
                220 lon-mail-1.gradwell.net ESMTP ready (Gradwell gwh-smtpd 1.226) Tue, 11 Jul 2006 13:08:35
                +0100
                Sent: HELO www.pisces-conservation.com
                250 lon-mail-1.gradwell.net Hello node-1.186k.co.uk ([212.85.249.131])
                Sent: MAIL FROM:<onlineorders@pisces-conservation.com>
                250 Sender ok
                Sent: RCPT TO:<onlineorders@pisces-conservation.com>
                550 Relaying denied - please see http://www.gradwell.com/support/relay-denied [lon-mail-1]
                450 Unexpected EOF - closing connection
                SMTP Test failed
                _____ End of SMTP Test ____

Gradwell's tech support say:

/begins
                From the log you have attached, it seems that the application is not making any attempt to AUTH with our server, thus you receive 550 Relay Denied.

In your first email you say you receive the following -
                On testing the server,
                Actinic gives the following error:
                >The computer you specified as your mail server is not a valid mail
                >(SMTP) server. Check the computer name or address and try again. If it
                >fails again, then it is possible, you were locked out by a firewall
                >program, or you don't have network connection to this server.
                >Actinic SMTP Authentication Module NOT available in this server!
                This would make sense as the Actinic application is not making any SMTP Authentication requests to our server when sending mail.
                Is the SMTP Authentication an application bolt on or additional purchase?
                /ends

So does Actinic use the SMTP AUTH command? Any suggestions?

MTIA
                Robin

Comment

Yes, it will use authorised smtp if you tell it to.

What version of actinic are you using?

Mike

Comment

Yes, it will use authorised smtp if you tell it to.

What version of actinic are you using?

Mike
                    I'm on v. 7.0.6.0.0.0.GBGA

If I export the network settings, SMTPAUTHREQUIRED=true

Under 'Email Settings', "User name and password required" is ticked, the address of the SMTP server and the username/pwd entered.

I have tried running through the entire network settings from scratch - to see if there is an extra 'Tick here for SMTP Authentication' box - but unfortunately, at the moment the process is timing out on 'Checking HTTP access'.

If I run a network settings test, I get:

Actinic Mail Test completed successfully
                    server: passed
                    connection: passed
                    sockets: passed
                    communications: failed
                    authorisation: failed
                    message: Actinic SMTP Authentication Module NOT available in this server! Please do 'Update WebSite and then Redo the Test

And, as reported above, Gradwell's tech support suggest that no SMTP AUTH request is being issued.

Aside from ticking the box under 'Email settings', is there any other way I should tell Actinic to use SMTP AUTH?

MTIA
                    robin

Comment

I've only seen one example of this message in the past and no solution was ever posted. I suggest you contact actinic support via the phone or using the support form on their support webpage.

Mike

Comment

I've only seen one example of this message in the past and no solution was ever posted. I suggest you contact actinic support via the phone or using the support form on their support webpage.

Mike
                        OK, thanks again, I will do.
                        cheers,
                        robin

Comment

Working...
                        X