Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Error returned from SMTP server (1: 535 malformed input )

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey guys...

when a user submits something in a contact form (mua.org.uk) I get this error message:

Please wait for your browser to forward you to the next page or click here.

Anyone have any idea where the problem could lie?

Thanks

John

probably a question for your host

Comment

Same problem

I am having exactly the same problem with one of my sites, however I don't believe it is a host problem, why? because I am also the host, and I have several other Actinic 7 sites set up on the same server under different domain names, using the same email settings under there various virtual servers and all but one of them are working fine.

Also malformed input implies to me the script does not like the input from the form.

Does anyone have any ideas how to fix this? Thanks

Comment

I've a feeling that this should be "535 Malformed authentication input".

This 535 error may be ocurring because you're using Authenticated SMTP and somehow the authentication data (your SMTP username / password) contains illegal characters.

Try the Network test (in Advanced / Network Setup).

Also tell us if the Catalog Order Received and Customer emails are getting through OK.
        Norman - www.drillpine.biz
        Edinburgh, U K / Bitez, Turkey

Comment

Thanks for that, it prompted me to re-check the setting and there was an error in the user name.

Comment

same issues

I am getting the same problem, if it is the host side of things you need to set up the A zones and MX zones, do any of you guys out there know how to do this, below are settings I have added, but unsure if these are correct - hence the issues!

MAIL 7200 A 81.29.88.81
            WWW 7200 A 81.29.88.81
            @ 7200 MX 10 MAIL

the error i get is this for the contact form and the web set up

Set up from Actinic

The 'SMTP server' address entered in the 'Web | Network Setup' is incorrect, or not a valid SMTP server.
            Possible Solutions:
            1) Try "localhost" as the "SMTP Server"
            2) Check the "SMTP Server" host name, user name and password with your server host, then correct the details in 'Web | Network Setup'
            3) Check your firewall settings

Actinic Mail Test completed successfully
            server: passed
            connection: passed
            sockets: passed
            communications: failed
            authorisation: failed

i have doubled checked the user names and passwords

Comment

Dave,

1. You shouldn't need to mess with the A and MX records. Your host should do that.

2. Who is your host and have you checked for their network settings on the forum?

3. Which version of Actinic are you using and what are you using for your email settings?

Mike
              -----------------------------------------

First Tackle - Fly Fishing and Game Angling

-----------------------------------------

Comment

As Mike says don't mess with records unless you have 5 consenting geeks in the room - risky business. Reset back to default and then try using "localhost" for the SMTP. In v7 there was also a patch knocking around from Norman which resolved many issues with SMTP in v7.

Bikster
                SellerDeck Designs and Responsive Themes

Comment

Hi guys,
                  Using version 9, as for the MX & A records, I was emailed them from Actinic to get them set up, as I have never had to mess with them before so I passed on to the domain hosts who did this for me.

Been talking with support and they have sent me more MX & A settings as they can't get it working either.

Tried localhost, but the email form doesn't work, when I put in, but I do get online sales coming through (just in demo mode at press, not live) but when I put in the mail settings, nothing happens apart from the errors

Mail Settings
                  mail.puckstop.com
                  sales@puckstop.com

they fall over and give me the errors.

Below is a test email that bounced back:

This is the mail system at host smtprelay05.hostedemail.com

I'm sorry to have to inform you that your message could not be delivered to one or more recipients. It's attached below.

For further assistance, please send mail to postmaster.

If you do so, please include this problem report. You can delete your own text from the attached returned message.

The mail system

<sales@puckstop.com>: host MAIL.puckstop.com[81.29.88.81] said: 553 sorry, that domain isn't in my list of allowed rcpthosts (#5.7.1) (in reply to RCPT TO command)

Comment

Who IS your host?
                    Tracey

Comment

Fasthosts or Actinic is my guess.

Comment

I presumed not actinic as it was mentioned that actinic gave the mx detailsfor the host?
                        My money is on goDaddy. Why not, eh? Not heard from them for a bit LOL
                        Tracey

Comment

I'll stick with Actinic, you have GoDaddy and we can share Fasthosts then.

Comment

LOL deal
                            Fasthosts is a safe bet anyway. Goes without saying!
                            Tracey

Comment

According to whoishostingthis.com the IP address for puckstop.com is owned by Actinic Software Ltd

http://www.whoishostingthis.com/puckstop.com
                              Darren Guppy
                              Golf Tee Warehouse
                              Golf Tees and Golf Accessories.

Comment

Working...
                              X